Large Scale Central

Building the CR&N Deadline:July 2017

Ken Brunt said:

Gary Armitstead said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Ken Brunt said:

I haven’t put any ballast down yet. It’s all dirt and some ash from the woodstove. I get a lot of mud with a heavy rain, but it drains off quickly. There’s only an inch and a half (maybe 2") of dirt on top of the screening.

Great thats what I wanted to know. So even when you are getting mud it isn’t an issue. That makes me feel better. I will have about the same 1 1/2-2" with the way the yard is and the idea I have for the bench work. The sun screen I am using is a quite a bit more porous than weed block probably about the same as the window screen. So fines over time will be filtered through anyway. But knowing I can just pile dirt on it makes me happier than sifting a bunch of stuff.

In the areas where I want actual fines I can lay some weed block over it like your doing and hold the fines in.

These questions are answered in the pdf I sent you about the building of Richard’s POC RR. You Need to open this thing and READ IT :). Again, “over-thinking” going on again :). Just a suggestion "Quit tryin’ to “reinvent the wheel” :slight_smile:

It’s all in mine, too and you don’t have to open a PDF to read it…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken,

I hear ‘ya :), just trying to get Devon to "quit aimin’ and start shootin’" so he can make his self-imposed “deadline”. He’s got more documentation for this railroad than NASA had for the thirty plus years of the Space Shuttle Program…just teasin’ :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I do need to read it Gary. I haven’t cracked it yet. I am to afraid of taking time to read it for fear it will cut into building progress and I will be chastised for wasting time, lol.

Devon Sinsley said:

I do need to read it Gary. I haven’t cracked it yet. I am to afraid of taking time to read it for fear it will cut into building progress and I will be chastised for wasting time, lol.

Just open the first few pages (you don’t need to read the entire thing now…I “promise” you won’t get bogged down or distracted) and read how Richard figured out the screening on the bottom layer over his wood frame. He actually puts dirt on his elevated layout. See what he has done about the soggy weather HE gets on the coast of Oregon. Very pertinent in what you are trying to accomplish now. No teasin’ now. :slight_smile:

Devon Sinsley said:

It would probably take a whole lot less time than asking questions on here and waiting for a response.

Like the man says: Little less talk and a bit more action:…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Gary,

I am not happy with you, (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif). You suggested that PDF to make life easier; but it had the opposite effect. That is very cool what he has done and has opened some possibilities to me. And that was just at a quick glance.

Ahhhhh, quitcherbellyachin, and git ta work.

Well poop. Just got a call fromt he person delivering my switches and they wont be here for a week and a half. Oh well there are other things to do but no track laying until they get here. I will have to finish my 5 way and then start on bench work instead of laying track in the yard.

Devon,

I was talking to Daniel last week and he told me about the delivery scheme for your switches. Sweet deal – wish I had someone traveling this way to save me some shipping costs! With the savings in mind, a week and a half is not too much to bear. By the way, make sure Daniel and you are on the same page as to frog numbers for wye switches. I had ordered a #4 wye thinking I would get one like the #4 I previously got from SwitchCrafters. To him, a #4 wye would equate to a #2 frog! Thank goodness he called me to make sure what I wanted before he built it. Also, he will pre-paint the rails on switches if you request it.

Bob

Bob Hyman said:

Devon,

I was talking to Daniel last week and he told me about the delivery scheme for your switches. Sweet deal – wish I had someone traveling this way to save me some shipping costs! With the savings in mind, a week and a half is not too much to bear. By the way, make sure Daniel and you are on the same page as to frog numbers for wye switches. I had ordered a #4 wye thinking I would get one like the #4 I previously got from SwitchCrafters. To him, a #4 wye would equate to a #2 frog! Thank goodness he called me to make sure what I wanted before he built it. Also, he will pre-paint the rails on switches if you request it.

Bob

Yes Daniel called me as well to clarify that very thing. Which was good because he custom made the #2 frog so that I could have the equivalent of the #4 turnout for the Wye in the yard. As he was going to make it per the order it wouldn’t have been as nice to work with. I need things to split up pretty fast in the yard.

And truth be told I, at least at this point, am not receiving any discount on shipping, not have I asked for any. Someone is delivering them so that someone should get a kick back. Bryan has treated me very fair throughout and gave me a healthy discount. Not to mention that Daniel has put some extra work into the switches by putting throws on the opposite side compared to standard and he weathered them for me ahead of assembly. They can keep the shipping. I just can’t wait to get them. I have plenty to do to stay busy. I just wanted to lay some track so Maynard would be happy for a few minutes (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Me! I am generally a happy person. I am that way intentionally, because it torques off folks like Andy.

way to go Devon, almost 2 full pages of railroad stuff to quiet the screaming masses Looking good. The ballast you are using if you warsh it first before laying it , that should remove the dust and small stuff that you worry (too much) will clog the mesh.

Naw. The King Butt Modeler won’t be happy until I know that Devon will make his self imposed deadline with room to spare.

I am no longer worried about washing it, that would be way to much work. Both Ken and the guy in the article Gary sent me don’t and they have no issue and their mesh is more fine than what I am using. So mine will eventually wash itself. If clogging is a none issue I will roll with it as is. I will use a lot of good old dirt also.

And David, now you have gone overboard. I have to have room to spare? thats asking for too much. I believe July 17th, 2015 is my deadline. That means I already can expect and all nighter with plenty of coffee, floodlights, neighbors complaints, and police accusations of disturbing the peace late into the wee hours of the 16th and early morning of the 17th. I will have an allen wrench in my back pocket from tighten the last rail clamps as the first guest comes around the corner.

Devon,

Edit your date before David sees it.

" And David, now you have gone overboard. I have to have room to spare? thats asking for too much. I believe July 17th, 2015 is my deadline."

Devon Sinsley said:

I believe July 17th, 2015 is my deadline. That means I already can expect and all nighter with plenty of coffee, floodlights, neighbors complaints, and police accusations of disturbing the peace late into the wee hours of the 16th and early morning of the 17th. I will have an allen wrench in my back pocket from tighten the last rail clamps as the first guest comes around the corner.

Spoken like a true man! Starting to go somewhere now, I’m enjoying the view from my easy chair. Have fun with it! Oh, and you’re going to need that allen wrench anyway, as well some other tools too, cause stuff is always going to be a pain when there is an audience.

Dan DeVoto said:

Devon,

" And David, now you have gone overboard. I have to have room to spare? thats asking for too much. I believe July 17th, 2015 is my deadline."

Too late

Dan DeVoto said:

Devon,

too late dang it

Thats ok. Every month, my home office sends me a form, that has to be filled out by the end of the month, 2015. So I can read and write typo.

Edit because my phone likes to typo on top of my typos. Smart phone my…Aunt Fanny.

SSSSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhh, leave’em alone. He’s putting track down. Don’t get’em side-tracked…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken, but if he actually starts making progress, then I will have to update my Butt Modeling thread to keep up. These past few days I have enjoyed just sitting on my butt after work.