Large Scale Central

Building the CR&N Deadline:July 2017

Devon

Is this still open^ , To work with drainage?

I like what I see !!!

Atta Boy! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

That 5 way switch . Get some aluminum tubing, and solder a piece to the OUTSIDE of the track stubs and main rail ,then and get a rod that will fit in the tubing = Home made Barrel Bolt!

Sean,

yes this is still open to drainage. You canā€™t see it but there is a gap, albeit not a big one, about an inch, between the roof edge drip line and the trim board. I have to admit in a few places I had to bend the metal a git to give even more drainage but there is a gap all the way around. It drains well I tested it. And the way the top covers it there is no way for leaves or other debris to get in and clog it, so it should work out fine. The only thing I did wrong and might have to modify is not leaving enough over hang. It does drip down the siding. When I first tested it it didnā€™t do that but it does now for some reason. So I might have to add something to create a new drip edge. Minor really, I am not concerned. What i do like is that basically the entire metal roof portion is hidden and gives a very clean look to the cabinet.

I love your thinking on the barrel bolt idea. I was working through that but hadnā€™t quite got there in my mind. I see where your going and I like it. Would be very easy to do. I even have all the stuff to do it already.

I did mention that Idea back on page 27!(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

On my 5 way switch (Train-li) I fabricated a barrel bolt out of brass rod and tubing.

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I didnā€™t get any railroad work done this weekend. I was very busy all weekend, I am heading into finals week and had to get a bunch of homework done that is due this Friday and donā€™t really have time this week to do it so I had a weekend cram session. ( Next Monday I start the final semester of my college career, 16 weeks and I will have my Masters). I also had a bunch of ministry related work to do as well. And to round out the weekend I went to Chuckā€™s house and ran trains and bought stuff.

Our club swap meet was this weekend and I picked up an REA fish belly flat car that I am adding to my collection for an eventual transformation into bunked log cars of the St. Maries River Railroad (a much distant project). For now I will just have a string of nice flat cars. I have five of them so far, I want about 10. I also got a screaming deal from a great guy in our club (and lurker here) on a LGB Forney that he has remotored and rewired including a new speaker.

I also got motivated to fix my $20 junk box Porter. I spun the new 3D printed gear I had made for it. It didnā€™t crack (like I thought) it just was spinning on the axle. So I got it back in place and drilled a .055 hole and used a piece of piano wire to make a light press fit pin. It is tight as a drum now so we will see how that works. I have more gears for it if this doesnā€™t work to try a new plan but i think this will work out great.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

I did mention that Idea back on page 27!(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

On my 5 way switch (Train-li) I fabricated a barrel bolt out of brass rod and tubing.

I must have missed that part with all the rest that has been going on. can you take a close up pic of it?

Sure thing Buddy! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Yes I can back up Devonā€™s story with a couple of pictures of him and his train running on my layout at Saturdayā€™s club meeting. The first one shows his custom train carrier and the second is his USA trains, Northern Pacific GP-9 and freight train. Enjoy.

Chuck, all I got was little xā€™s no pictures

Edit to say never mind, after I hit enter they popped up. My bad

i think, i remember, that devon had mentioned being fat (as some kind of excuse for not getting things done) but that guy in the pic is not nearly as fat, as i am. so, no more excuses, please! just get your RR built!

I have no doubt that our friend Devon will get a super railroad built when the time is right. He does not need a dead line to have it finished. A model RR is never finished. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)You put down track so you can run trains and keep improving and updating and repairing. That is the hobby.

Chuck Inlow said:

Yes I can back up Devonā€™s story with a couple of pictures of him and his train running on my layout at Saturdayā€™s club meeting. The first one shows his custom train carrier and the second is his USA trains, Northern Pacific GP-9 and freight train. Enjoy.

I have one of those except the wife thinks itā€™s for carrying clothes out to the clothes lineā€¦(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Chuck

What did he bring to eat?

Devon

Hear are two pics ā€¦ Sorry if theyā€™re not to clear!

The red is just Heat Shrink Tubing.

Korm Kormsen said:

i think, i remember, that devon had mentioned being fat (as some kind of excuse for not getting things done) but that guy in the pic is not nearly as fat, as i am. so, no more excuses, please! just get your RR built!

Korm I am still carrying a lot of extra. I used to weigh 392# and now I am down to about 270#. I really canā€™t use weight as an excuse anymore as I feel pretty darn good an a lot more mobile. So i amy use it as an excuse but I really canā€™t.

Thanks Sean,

that looks great and easy enough to do and a real workable solution.

And I will let Chuck tell you what I brought to eat, he seemed quite fond of it as was Steveā€™s wife. Although Steveā€™s wife didnā€™t want to believe I made it.

Yeah. it was all gone by the time I got there.

Devon, what material are you using to surface the top of the table around the tracks in the previous picture? Iā€™m still wrestling with what to put on top of the landscape fabric on my new elevated layout.

Guys with a few extra pounds know how to eat. Many know how to cook. I had one instructor once, and I decided right away, that if he invites me to tag along for dinner, I am there. That guy knew how to eat.

Rich Niemeyer said:
Devon, what material are you using to surface the top of the table around the tracks in the previous picture? Iā€™m still wrestling with what to put on top of the landscape fabric on my new elevated layout.

Rich this will be a real experiment. It is a plastic weaved materiel I got at Lowes that is used for making patio sun shades. this stuff I am using it in lieu of the mesh and landscape fabric. It stretches nice and tight and is pretty thick and seems like it will be durable. It is rather more porous than landscape fabric. So if keeping fines in place is an issue then landscape fabric could be used over it. But I am going to try it as is and see what happens.

time will only tell if this was a wise choice.

Is the yard done yet?