Large Scale Central

Building the CR&N Deadline:July 2017

wrong, Devon, wrong.

it is not, that we have one thing in common.

it is, that we have one thing NOT in common.

wisdom of old age has brought me to the point, where i am able, to reign myself in and not post all of my ideas and plans.

i know, it is hard, nearly not doable, but restricting oneself to lots of pics of even the slightest advancement plus some stupid remarks keeps the pack at bay…

(if you promise, not to tell anybody else, i am very often thinking about tearing everything down, to replace it by a modular layout. but as long, as nobody knows, nobody can tease me about it.)

Devon

Get the yard ready for track.

With some track and switches … you would have a switching layout… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Devon

Get the yard ready for track.

With some track and switches … you would have a switching layout… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

You caught me. . .lol. I was going to get the yard and wye done and run my Geep around on it and tell you all to shut up that I have a working layout.

OK So I had a great phone conversation yesterday with Bob C. and he brought something up that I hadn’t even thought of. We discussed UV and it being the killer of all plastic even UV resistant plastic. One thing he suggested was painting my track and leaving only the rail head exposed. The paint would protect the plastic ties and also make my bright shiny aluminum rail look better. Well my ties are already brown and He mentioned spraying clear UV protector. This seems like a good idea. But it doesn’t solve my bright shiny rail problem. What I am wondering is has anyone used some sort of like paint pin or marker or something to "paint just the sides of the rail. If I did this I could make it a different color than the ties and then shoot the whole thing with clear. This would be way easier done before the track is installed. I had not even considered this until now. I am thinking if there were a “pen” type applicator I could do this while watching TV at night or when I am too pooped to be building.

wheen you are too pooped to be building? - you don’t need SO much track!

from other applications i remember, that aluminium needs a primer, or no colour or clear will stick to it.

I have seen Paint Pens.

Don’t worry about the railheads, very easy to clean after the rail/track is laid.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)We will advise when the time is right.

John

John Caughey said: I have seen Paint Pens.

Paint pens

Sean McGillicuddy said:

John Caughey said: I have seen Paint Pens.

Paint pens

Yep those were exactly what I was thinking of. Has anyone used them on aluminum? How does it adhere or should I prime as Korm suggests? I think these pens would be a great idea then clear coat the whole thing with UV protector. I will pick one up on my way home from work and mess with it.

Devon,

I have used paint pens over the past forty years in industrial use. Marked die steel that needed certain areas welded and marking steels with a color “code” when stored on racks. Easy way to find the steel you need for various applications. Don’t bother buying the plastic case paint pens. Waste of money. Get the pens encased in metal. Better quality “ball and pump” and better quality paint. With the better grade, the steel or aluminum doesn’t need to be primed. Remember to “shake well” before using :). These are made for dirty, industrial environs.

Gary Armitstead said:

Devon,

I have used paint pens over the past forty years in industrial use. Marked die steel that needed certain areas welded and marking steels with a color “code” when stored on racks. Easy way to find the steel you need for various applications. Don’t bother buying the plastic case paint pens. Waste of money. Get the pens encased in metal. Better quality “ball and pump” and better quality paint. With the better grade, the steel or aluminum doesn’t need to be primed. Remember to “shake well” before using :). These are made for dirty, industrial environs.

Where does one get these? metal suppliers?

Devon Sinsley said:

Gary Armitstead said:

Devon,

Where does one get these? metal suppliers?

I got my last one about a month ago from Allen Industrial Supply here in Burbank. They are a local tool and screw supply house for the small machine shops around here. Any industrial supply house has the better grade of paint pens. AND they can order what color you might need if not in-house. Don’t even bother with the Big Box stores…99% of the sales people will have no clue what you are talking about! :slight_smile:

Korm, like Devon said, a running railroad doesn’t mean done, so no great boredom here.

Devon, so you admit to provoking some people?

Devon, I spray painted my stainless steel Aristocraft track. After spray painting the ties variations of Krylon black, gray and brown, I painted the rails. By holding the can close to the rails, my rust colour landed mostly on the rails and tie plates. Then a good over-spray of black to tone down the ruddy brown “rust” on the rails, and a quick wipe of the rail-heads with Goo Gone, and I had the effect I was looking for.

After 14 years of being out in the weather, the track still doesn’t look too bad.

Yea, I should have redone the ballast before taking this picture.

David Maynard said:

Looks like real rust David, nice job!

David Maynard said

When I think back to the building of my railroad, actual construction started Friday after work, and was done by Monday afternoon. My mom went out of town for a long weekend, and it HAD to be done before she got home on Monday, and it was. That was from virgin ground to running trains. It induced digging trenches, bending rail, laying wire, sub ballast, wiring each rail, making cuts and fills, making a trestle, Making bridge abutments and so on.

If there are no pictures , it didnt happen. I believe that is in the famous quotes post in general discussion.

" Rooster " said:

David Maynard said:

SHUT UP ROOSTER!

Pete Lassen said:

David Maynard said

When I think back to the building of my railroad, actual construction started Friday after work, and was done by Monday afternoon. My mom went out of town for a long weekend, and it HAD to be done before she got home on Monday, and it was. That was from virgin ground to running trains. It induced digging trenches, bending rail, laying wire, sub ballast, wiring each rail, making cuts and fills, making a trestle, Making bridge abutments and so on.

If there are no pictures , it didnt happen. I believe that is in the famous quotes post in general discussion.

oh, back then I only had a film camera. So, no pictures that I can post

David,

No way out on the film camera thing, SCAN them into the computer!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Devon,

You’ve thinking painting the rail… Krylon Camo Brown. Spray. Cover the whole rail. Lay track. Run trains. The more you run, the more the paint will wear of the top of the rail in a prototypical manner.

If you want to be fancy, lay down 2 strips of masking tape on either side of rail to cover the ties. Spray paint. Remove tape. Lay tracks. Run trains… Notice a key idea here? Run trains… :wink:

Joe Zullo said:

" Rooster " said:

David Maynard said:

SHUT UP ROOSTER!

I deny ever saying this. Actually I don’t admit to provoking some people. . . I admit to at least trying to provoke most people.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

**Craig Townsend said:**Notice a key idea here? Run trains… :wink:

Oh geez not you too. I think all in all I like your idea best. God forbid I over think this. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)I like Davids plan. that way everything gets paint for UV protection