Large Scale Central

Building the CR&N Deadline:July 2017

It better not be. They keep printing the numbers on the measuring tapes smaller and smaller every year.

David, tape measures are durable tools, quit buying new ones, get one and hold onto it. Maybe the print is shrinking from being left out.

Devon, I had all my track out side, about half bent to where it needs to be going and now everything is back in the garage for the rest of the summer and into the fall. A/C is threatening to quit ( its having a 20th birthday ) so saving up for new one with hopes it will make it until winter or so before replacing it, and there is the nagging problem of my daughters wedding in October, I have a jewerly box to make for it beside bankrolling the deal. so funds for ROW base, walls, trestles are on a hard hold for a while. Very dissapointing after having a short go at running an actual train in my garden. Will be here still when time allows to offer un warranted, snarky and generally not helpful remarks as I root for you to get on with the build.

I may sneak a purchase or 6 in here and there if I can , need turnouts and rolling stock, we will see if I am successfull

That looks great Devon! I like the different look for the battens and the shingles will set it off. Now, are you going to make the rest of the house look the same? What color are you going to paint everything? Keep up the great work.

And yes, I can attest to the thunder storms and super heavy down pore of rain. My driveway and flower beds flooded in less then 10 minutes when the rain came down, so I can understand stopping all progress until they passed.

Pete Lassen said:

David, tape measures are durable tools, quit buying new ones, get one and hold onto it. Maybe the print is shrinking from being left out.

Devon, I had all my track out side, about half bent to where it needs to be going and now everything is back in the garage for the rest of the summer and into the fall. A/C is threatening to quit ( its having a 20th birthday ) so saving up for new one with hopes it will make it until winter or so before replacing it, and there is the nagging problem of my daughters wedding in October, I have a jewerly box to make for it beside bankrolling the deal. so funds for ROW base, walls, trestles are on a hard hold for a while. Very dissapointing after having a short go at running an actual train in my garden. Will be here still when time allows to offer un warranted, snarky and generally not helpful remarks as I root for you to get on with the build.

I may sneak a purchase or 6 in here and there if I can , need turnouts and rolling stock, we will see if I am successfull

Well I understand that. Money and life get in the way. This is my third attempt at a layout since I have been in this house. One HO one N and now my large scale. But I think I might have this one. The track was the biggie. Preparing the space was the second logistical problem. Both are handled I think. So keep at it. It will happen.

Chuck I like the unusual batten pattern as well. A little slower going and more material but it’s a long term investment in our future as we don’t plan to go anywhere. As to the rest of the house we will do the whole house in the same style. The house is due for new siding and adding an R6 value to the R14 that is there will be a nice addition. But we likely will take it one wall at a time. We probably will sneak in the back wall in the pictures this year and call it good. Catch the rest in the next couple years. The color will be pretty much the same. The blue/grey with cream trim. But the shingle section will be a steel grey. My metal shop which sits in my front yard is colored this way. And we want to keep it matched. Someday it would be nice to side the shop the same way and maybe then change color.

OK I am pretty happy with my progress. I didn’t go fishing which helped. But my help bailed on me. I got the soffet boxed in. I got stung by a wasp which made me a bit cranky for awhile. I also got about half the shingles up and one piece of trim. Tomorrow should see the finish of this siding project and I can turn my attention to actual RR projects. My wife is the painter so I leave that to her.

I am really liking the overall look of this siding. Much better than the low budget 1970 T1-11

Looking good.

I really like the shingle pattern you’re using up top!

Looking great. Nice work! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

The shingle pattern you think would be easy. I mean it’s random, just throw it up there right? Well I tend to be a little bit of a detail person and not having stuff lined up bugs the heck out of me. In order to keep order in the chaos each layer is set 6" above the other as a whole. Every 5 or 6 shingle I measure up from the trim and set a shingle at what ever 6" increment I am at. Then very the rest give or take.

I do love the look though. Overall I am very pleased with the look. A lot of extra work and is taking away my RR building time but it is the right thing to do. I think the style will fit the RR theme as well. Bonus.

The yard cabinet I have decided to build to match the board and batten siding. And when I get around to the engine house I will match that as well including the shingle gable ends. I think that would be pretty cool looking.

Just got an email from Bryan from llagas and I have 49 pounds of track on the way. Yippy

that should be about 130 foot, right?

No that would be 300 feet. At least that’s what I orderd. It does not include the turnouts. They are about half done. This is just the flex track and two spare rails.

So in a week to 10 days you will have nearly 50 pounds of rail to store, and shuffle about until when?

David Maynard said:

So in a week to 10 days you will have nearly 50 pounds of rail to store, and shuffle about until when?

Oh man…NO slack! Poor Devon. :slight_smile:

Gary, as King Butt modeler, I have nothing better to do then sit on my butt and hurl barbs at Devon. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Now I have to say that was funny and I deserved it.

Well all the cutoffs from the battens can be made into ties for hand laid track right?

Pete, if they are long enough that they can be fed through the saw.

Pete,

Don’t put Hand Laid Track out there for Devon to mull over. His finish date could jump to July 2027!