Large Scale Central

Building the CR&N Deadline:July 2017

Devon, If nothing else, put Split-jaws on all your switches… Makes it easy to remove the switch when it needs work… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Devon, if you are looking for function over form, I recommend the “L” bracket, developed by the folks at OVGRS, FR Fred’s outfit. I use it myself, mainly because I’m cheap thrifty. Here’s a pic. Click on the link for a full discussion.

Funny! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)50 years ago that was a Bell Crank in use on O gauge railroads. IIRC look up Frank Ellison …

John

Well I am thrifty as well. Just to make sure I emailed Bryan at llagas and all if the turnouts have manual ground throws installed. So I won’t NEED anything. But I can convert to nice switch stands in the future.

Use the rugged ground throws to power both the switch and what ever switch stand you add. Can go to scale look if more cosmetic than used as the controller. Of course you’ll ave to school your operators…

John

That’s a good idea John. I really do like the Ozarks harp stand and at 10 bucks is easy on the wallet. If I use the throw like Steve showed as the actual mechanism by which the turnout is operated and attach the stand it would operate and show the switch position.

Good plan.

Well I got some progress made. I completed the electrical run to the layout. I had previously made the run to the corner of the house from the garage where the two circuits I am running split in different directions. On the route to the layout I stopped at the patio and included a constant hot duplex outlet and a duplex switched outlet. The switched outlet will run the patio lights. I then continued on to the layout where I terminated the run in two duplex outlets all hardware is heavy duty 20 amp rated in weather tight boxes.

I will next run the other leg out to the future pond and my wifes green house. I still need to install the gfci breakers in the panel. That will be last.

Not exciting but necessary.

Devon Sinsley said:
That’s a good idea John. I really do like the Ozarks harp stand and at 10 bucks is easy on the wallet. If I use the throw like Steve showed as the actual mechanism by which the turnout is operated and attach the stand it would operate and show the switch position. Good plan.

When used as an indicator, glue a thin strip over the top so the pin passes over the indents … (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Actually with the Ozark I assembled it wrong on purpose so that it won’t catch the detents. I know it works. I bought one to experiment with on the stub flop switch experiment foe just the purpose we are talking about where it acts only as an indicator. And it works just fine. Moves back and forth at will without catching.

OK, you’ve been way to quiet, what’s happening there Devon. Any progress to report? We missed you at the last club meeting last Saturday. Hello, are you in here someplace?

Chuck

Devon you can’t hide from us .

We might have to send Chuck or Steve to check up on you…

He is probably distracted and chasing another fantasy build.

Naw we wuz warned he has Honey Do’s to pay off for his trains. She may have pulled the plug on day dreaming (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif).

John

John, even when I was wrapping coins so that I could put enough gas into the truck to go to work, I daydreamed. It doesn’t cost money to daydream, just time.

OH Devon!!! Come out, come out where ever you are!! His boy is just being way to quiet. Maybe he got stuck under the house running his electrical line and his wife left him there? Interesting.

Chuck,

I just sent Devon an email telling him we are all worried about him. I hope all is OK with him. Last he wrote on the forum I think he mentioned he was sick. If he responds to my email I will let you know.

Oh, I thought maybe he was hiding from us (me) so he didn’t have to deal with our (my) prodding anymore.

I just went to Devon’s Facebook page and it seems he has been busy with a 25 year anniversary plan. He posted this just 6 hours ago…

“Wow in a weeks time Darcy Peterson Sinsley and I will be celebrating 25 years of marriage. I have been busy with details planning and coordinating a party for my bride. Thanks to our family for all the help they have given me so that I can do this for the most special lady on the planet.”

Ah, life gets in the way again.

LOL,

You guys crack me up. Well at least I know I am loved and missed. Joe pretty much nailed it. The largest consumption of my time has been working on throwing my bride a party. I am not a party guy nor am I usually the one to plan anything. It usually her. So I decided last November to throw this party and have enlisted the help of both our families. But it has required much of my time. I am also making her a present on my lathe. I also had to take the daughter fishing a few times in there. Work has been crazy as well and then school is rather hectic this semester. I also have some ministry obligations I have been working on. No complaints everything is running along great just had to put trains on the back burner. And yes I was sick for about a week but couldn’t let that stop me either.

Anyway things should get back to normal after next week. Thanks for checking in though. Nice to know I was missed.

Oh and if Joe snuck onto my face book he will also find that I have taken a bit of a philosophical vacation as well and have been ranting on facebook I don’t normally do the facebook thing to much but I have been on somewhat of spree. Since we can’t speak politics and religion here I have been venting there.