Large Scale Central

Building a 30 Deg Crossing (for Bruce)

When it comes to track work, I’m considered a perfectionist by some. I hate derailments when I’m running a train. Anybody that been to Marty’s or the Kansas City show and been around my steam track, knows about my track work. When I saw that Bruce needed a crossing, I offered to build him one as this would be good to add to my track items. It’ll be offered in kit form or spiked up on ties of your choice. On my home layout I have switched from plastic (Trex) ties to red oak for my turnout and any other special track work. The plastic stuff broke easy and I had to keep them painted cause once the outer skin was removed off of the Trex, it is no longer UV stable. On my first layout I tried cedar and redwood and they would not hold spikes very well. I first made a template on a piece of paper to get the dimensions. Then I made a fixture for the mill. I started with a piece of 1/4" brass 3" wide and 9" long. Here is the flangways milled into it.

This is what I ended up with when I was done milling.

As with any track work that I build I dado the ties for a 1/8" X 3/8" battens. These keep the ties in place if the spikes work loose. This is from a live and learn experience. Here is the ties glued up and stained.

It’s all done. It will need some sort of sealer and I use Boiled Linseed Oil on mine.

Well, that is just too cool. Do you mill and sell frogs?

Jon
Yes I do. I need to figure my time and set a price yet for the diamond. I have
frogs for #3,#6 and #8 turnout also. A a#3 and #6 frog is $19.95 and the #8 is #24.95. I have
6 of the #6’s left and 2 #8’s left. Next batch that I make they will go up $5 each.
By this weekend I should have my website updated and a lot more info on it.

Nice work :slight_smile:

Holy cow that’s beautiful!

Yes, extremely impressive! I can’t wait to get this and put it in place.

This is making me re-ponder that complex bit of trackwork at Majestic. Hmm…

Dear All,

Amazing what a man and his mill can do… Beautiful work.

Perhaps not obvious to everybody, this 30 degree crossing would require battery, wind-up or steam powered locos only, no track power. (North and South rails are shorted together.)

The other metal frogs would require insulating gaps to adjacent rails if track power was used. Frogs could be left unpowered, or powered through an SPDT switch mechanically linked to the postion of the points.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate them.

Bob
Sound like some work for me

Joe
Yes you are right about track power. I forgot to include that part and thank you for the explanation
Just about everybody I know is battery power so I do not think about track power.

Rodney

Rod: Sent you an email with my idea.

Rodney:

Beautiful work!

Are the ties on Bruce’s xing red oak? I wonder about their life in the great outdoors.

Have you considered (or tried) using Switchcrafters’ plastic ties? I think they would have much better outdoor life and spike holding performance than the cutdown Trex.

BTW, your pricing for what is basically custom work seems very reasonable.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Rodney, . . . Your crossing looks GREAT. I’ve e-mailed you about getting a #3 frog. I intend to build a “Y” stub switch and had been really concerned about making the frog. It will be easy with a ready made frog.

Jerry Bowers said:
Rodney:

Beautiful work!

Are the ties on Bruce’s xing red oak? I wonder about their life in the great outdoors.

Have you considered (or tried) using Switchcrafters’ plastic ties? I think they would have much better outdoor life and spike holding performance than the cutdown Trex.

BTW, your pricing for what is basically custom work seems very reasonable.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Yes they are red oak. I good friend of mine built a saw mill. bridge and
30 feet of trestle out of red oak 12 years ago and still looks good… He brushes
Boiled Linseed Oil on them once every year or two.

Rodney

Excellent!

Bruce,

Weren’t you looking for a crossing? Rodney Bruce, Bruce Rodney.

Rodney Edington said:
When I saw that Bruce needed a crossing, I offered to build him one as this would be good to add to my track items.
I think they've met.

Ya think. :wink:

Ric,
Now you have something else to add to “Rites of Passage.” :smiley:

Steve Featherkile said:
Ric, Now you have something else to add to "Rites of Passage." :D
What's that! Somebody cross the equator?
Ric said:
What's that! Somebody cross the equator?
You betcher sweet a$$ I did.