Large Scale Central

Build your own turnouts

OK, this is mostly directed to those who have never done this, but everyone give me your thoughts. Down loaded the articles from GR today and am looking at it. (50 % off too. LOL)
Only difference is I would want to use AMS 250 brass rail, won’t be a problem I think. I know lots of you build your own for verious reasons.
Thanks Randy

I handlay just cause its miles cheaper and I like the way they look…speaking fo AMS…anyplace got AMS tiestrips in stock?

Thanks for the reply Bart. I know Art Knapps has them but unfortunetly they are here in B.C. So the shipping is gonna kill ya
Randy

And also you will get burned paying the canadian price.

About half my switches are hand laid code 250. This from several years ago:

(http://zbd.com/photos/OnePoint20/Track/DSCF1099.JPG)

Speaking of which, anyone have any code 250 SV rail joiners they want to get rid of?

Our own HJ Mueller has a tutorial on turnout building. Really easy to follow. Click on the blue text.

I building some of my own. I haven’t figured out whether I’m just too cheap to buy any more, or I enjoy the exercise.

Bob McCown said:

Speaking of which, anyone have any code 250 SV rail joiners they want to get rid of?

Boy, that was a good looking piece of trackage.

Ric Golding said:

Bob McCown said:

Boy, that was a good looking piece of trackage.

I was thinking that too. In retrospect maybe it would have been better to maintain that then try and elevate. Back to the topic, I built on brass code 332 turnout with a scratch built frog just to prove I could. It’s never been installed though. Works good, but is too sharp.

You shouldn’t have any problems with the AMS 250. I built my first switch from some MicroEngineering Nickel Silver.

(http://jbrr.com/Pics/Switches/IMG_1167.jpg)

Bob, I have some 250 & 215 Hillman clamps (can’t tell difference) in both aluminum and SS. For a fellow member of Tucson GRS, I mailed the whole bunch to him, he picked out what he needed, and then sent back with a check @ 2/3 listed price. If you are interested in such an arrangement, respond here or email me [email protected]

Thanks guys for the replies, will try it in the not so distant future, can do the woodworking part now and have to talk to the CFO to see about getting some rail.
BTW Bob trackwork looks great.
Randy

PS. Anyone know of a source for 1/2" track spikes, COCRY carries them but they are down right now. (Maybe a Canadian source)

Randy, I was able to get some from Chinook and Hobby West in Calgary a while ago. They are made by Micro Engineering and are just called ’ large track spikes '. They measure 1/2" overall, 15/32" under the head to tip.
Ron

That track looks great, but didn’t last the first Massachusetts winter, let alone 6 or 7. I’ve learned since then.

@Ted: Lemme see if I can get some non-clamp ones first, but I’ll keep you in mind. Thanks!

Bob McCown said:
That track looks great, but didn't last the first Massachusetts winter, let alone 6 or 7. I've learned since then.
Bob,

What happened, what failed, and what did you learn? Don’t leave us hanging like Perils of Pauline! :stuck_out_tongue:

SVRR carries track spikes. I am using those articles with code 250 brass. Have to be careful grinding down the points.

SwitchCrafters also sales Micro Engineering track spikes. They also have a spiking tool that allows you to attach spikes to both sides of the any rail. www.switchcrafters.com

Chuck

Thanks Jerry and Chuck.
Jerry, got some ties cut and 1st turnout has ties laid, now just got to find some AMS 250 brass rail. Closest to me is 3 hours away. Not going to drive that far for 10’ or so of rail. So will look for an alternate source.
Randy

PS…Jerry are you using tie plates or spiking directly to ties.

One more question…anyone have the recipe for blackening the ties…something to do with india ink, wnat to add it to the preservative.
Thanks

Randy McDonald said:
Thanks Jerry and Chuck. Jerry, got some ties cut and 1st turnout has ties laid, now just got to find some AMS 250 brass rail. Closest to me is 3 hours away. Not going to drive that far for 10' or so of rail. So will look for an alternate source. Randy

PS…Jerry are you using tie plates or spiking directly to ties.

One more question…anyone have the recipe for blackening the ties…something to do with india ink, wnat to add it to the preservative.
Thanks

Randy,

The recipe that I use is 10% India ink diluted in 90% Technical Isopropyl Alcohol (91%). The stuff in the drug store is usually 70% Isoporpyl alcohol. YOu can find the Technical stuff at any hardware store and at most pharmacies.

However, to darken the ties, I use Dark Walnut stain from Minwax, then cover that with clear Thompson’s Water Seal. I have a friend who soaked his ties in used motor oil for a few days, then let them dry for three days before building the trestle. That trestle has been in ploace for 20 years not, and looks as good as it did the first day.

Thanks Steve…That’s what I was looking for but since you mentioned it I have some wood stain called ‘Special Black’ that I use in my cabinet making business that should do just the trick. Just put a bit of preservative over it.
Randy

Randy,
I have some excess code 250 brass SVRR. It is used, nice and black!

Great Jerry…Let me know price + shipping and I’ll get some funds off to you
Thanks Randy