Large Scale Central

Build your own turnouts

Here’s a pix of the one I made from brass. Ron Senek made the tie strip/sleeper setup for me from redwood.

(http://www.mylargescale.com/1stclass/JerryBarnes/Switch1.JPG)

Looking good Jerry. Don,t have a finished one but at least a start with the tie work.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/IMG_0162.JPG)

Looks good Randy. Mine has some Thompson’s on it and some deck stain.

Jerry did you have to use a bender or were you able to get the rails to curve by just ‘armstrong’ method and trial fitting to the drawings?
Randy

Looking good Jerry. Seeing how the frog is non insulated it’s tough to do a turnout and keep the cost down. Guess i could always use a bunch of my plastic frogs that I have left over from conversions. Later RJD

Randy, the brass bends easily by hand, so no problem. Cuts/grinds/files easy also. Nice stuff to work with. I have a little 6" delta grinder, did all the grinding for the points/etc on it. Finished up with a file.

RJ, these switches are for the battery powered section, so no need to worry about insulated/etc. You can get frogs in various sizes from SVRR I know. THey have plans of the switches also you can buy, even kits!

jb

Thanks Jerry for the info. Later RJD

I thought so Jerry, gonna pick up the 6" bench grinder this week sometime, on sale at Canuck Tire for $39
Randy

Anyone have a source for downloads of #4 or #6 swtiches? Got some dual gauge ones from Pete, but those may corn-fuze my ol’ brain! :slight_smile:

Jerry,

If you subscribe to one of Clambakes magazines, you can download those turnouts from the GR site.

And if you don’t, I downloaded them when I did, and will email 'em to ya if ya don’t tell anyone :smiley:

I’ve got those downloads, they are #5 switches. Wanted a #4, found some HO scale #4’s on a web site, but they turned out to be the same as that #5, so may have to get them from SVRR.

Jerry, I think you can go to Table 1 in the GR article and say to build a #6 cut the number of ties and lengths as specified in that colomn. Keep them in order and lay them out with the same spacing as the #5. But this time you are longer. (More ties) Then refer down lower in the table for rail lengths and useful dimensions. This should work, just won’t have a paper template as per the #5.
Randy

Yeah, they have the dimensions, but not the diagram of the curve shape/etc. I have plenty of #6’s, just got 8 of them in that buy of the track. Maybe 10? All SVRR code 250’s.