Large Scale Central

Build Log for the Future of the KVRwy

As some of you may know, the Kaskaskia Valley Railway has been evolving, continuously from the golden spike laying of the HO version in 1982 to the large scale version’s first figure 8 put on the ground in the backyard in 1996. The HO version had always existed and was a lower level of the bench work in the basement, under the coal mine at Owl’s Bend, and an HO helix supported the turntable and engine service facilities on the Southern Division of the large scale KVRwy. The last large scale operating session of the KVRwy was November, 2010. Almost all the HO track has been pulled and put in storage. The Helix and engine service facilities are gone to other St. Louis area railroads. As time and need requires much of the trackage is being moved 28 miles south to the Bluestone Southern right of way and other locations needing salvageable track and bridges.

The second build of the Timesaver was once again displayed at the 2015 East Coast Large Scale Train Show with its partner the Inglenook Switching puzzle. The build log of this is in the Articles section here, titled - “Rebuilding the Timesaver on the KVRwy”

http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/101/rebuilding-the-timesaver-on-the-kvrwy

(I know a few of the pictures don’t show)

As Jan and I prepare to move in to a retirement duplex and sell our house of the last 40 years, I am looking at the future locations for my railroad addiction. The “Timesaver” was always built as my retirement railroad. I have been looking at many options and sharing these thoughts with some of you. I became intrigued by the modules advertised in Model Railroader called Kam Konnect Modules by David Conway of Houston, Texas. Would these be the basis of the new HO switching layout? Should I rebuild the “Timesaver” and “Inglenook” puzzles again? After being taken down and reassembled too many times, the benchwork is showing wear. I know this version of the “Timesaver” has been to the ECLSTS, at least 8 times, besides club layout setups 3 or 4 times a year, the National Narrow Gauge Convention and 2 time to Perry, Ga. to the Southeast Large Scale Train Show.

But after talking to David Conway of Kam Konnect, he stated they would have to change design and increase weight of his modules to accomedate the large scale weight and the biggest they have built, so far, is for O scale and their product may not meet our needs. And he would have to come up with solutions for shipping.

Looking at the old “Timesaver” modules we feel this design will meet our requirements. We haven’t had any problems with structure of our Timesaver Modules and we have succeeded with a way to protect during all the moving. We’ve already resolved this, so now what? Build again? My son and son-in-law already have almost all my big power tools.

Dan Patterson has shared the Alcove with us, with his fantastic engine carriers and ground throws. He’s a member of our club and we have been talking about the wearing of the modules. He has some ideas using t nuts and machine screws to resolve the wearing created by the wall board screws and he has said he can build duplicate modules for anything I need.

Since the Inglenook is no longer confined by thickness, as it was in our basement being “Helper Siding”, because of tracks running under it. And the fact that I always wanted to have removable “Car Float” Cassettes. Dan is going to rebuild the “Inglenook” puzzle modules and if I haven’t worn him out with that project, I may have him build some new modules for the HO switching puzzle I’ve had floating around in my head.

The “Timesaver” modules went to his shop, yesterday. Along with plans for the new, bigger and better “Inglenook”.

Stay tuned.

I will definitely be watching to see what you come up with :slight_smile:

My mind has been going around a Toy Hauler theme. How about an extension to the back of your trailer that houses a fold-out switching layout. It would have to be a weatherproof enclosure and some lighting may need to be extended to it, but wouldn’t that be a kick (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Actually, there is all this wasted space that is unused on the roof of the trailer and it is fairly flat with only the need of some shims on the outside edge to level the track. Problem is that I may get so distracted that I would have to wear a safety harness to keep from falling off. And I hate to wear safety harnesses. I’m sure I could make it wind and weather proof. It would have to manage a hurricane size wind, when going down the highway. :wink: Best stay closer to the ground, but there are thoughts of different configurations for different needs.

Latest thoughts keep migrating toward car floats for interchange possibilities. In 1;20.3, we are talking 36 inches long just to handle two cars on a track. But with a number of car float cassettes, you could interchange a large number of cars.

Hello All

This is not exactly on topic but relevant (I hope)

Many years ago Mode; Railroader had a switching problem with track drawings etc. 1960’s I think

It was called “Switching problem at West Agony” and I believe it was by John Allen?

I spent many fun hours with that one and started to build one on my layout.

Along came College and I never got back to it.

Anyone have some antique MR issues to research?

Bill E

Bill,

It was July 1960, “Problem at West Agony” by Terry Walsh.

Here are the drawings that were included, but there’s a lot of text as well as some solutions.

It looks like it could be very interesting.

Hmmmm, now that would make a nice little switching puzzle, thanks bruce for the plans… hehehe (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Andy Clarke said:

Hmmmm, now that would make a nice little switching puzzle, thanks bruce for the plans… hehehe (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

It was 2’ x 7’ in HO. I suspect that you have more than enough room for it in 1:29 at about 6’ x 21’!

It does look as if a crew could spend most of the day there.

Another fun one saved.

Bruce

Thank you ever so much ! that is exactly what I need.

Thanks again

Bill E

It does look like a challenge. On the first 75 year discs, I did a search using just the word “switching”. I found 11 great puzzles. Things to ponder.

When I was younger, I always looked forward to the switching puzzles. I don’t know how many were in Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman, Model Trains. How many of you remember that one? It was Model Railroader for kids in the early 1960’s. And then I even think Boy’s Life, also had some puzzles. I wish I had a book with all of them in it. Great hours of fun.

The industry names are quite imaginative, too…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

05/05/15 - Update

Dan Patterson brought the Timesaver modules to Andy Clarke’s during the Ops Weekend. His hand has healed from surgery and he has upgraded the fasteners to all t-nuts and it looks it is a big improvement. Next step is to upgrade the legs. More on that as it progresses. He is currently keeping the modules as patterns as he rebuilds the “Inglenook” puzzle.

Ric Golding said:

It does look like a challenge. On the first 75 year discs, I did a search using just the word “switching”. I found 11 great puzzles. Things to ponder.

When I was younger, I always looked forward to the switching puzzles. I don’t know how many were in Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman, Model Trains. How many of you remember that one? It was Model Railroader for kids in the early 1960’s. And then I even think Boy’s Life, also had some puzzles. I wish I had a book with all of them in it. Great hours of fun.

Ric, do a search on “puzzle,” and see what you get. I got 169 on Trains.com.

Okay Steve, you said -

“Ric, do a search on “puzzle,” and see what you get. I got 169 on Trains.com.”

Tried it, didn’t find any. You guys are really making me feel dumb these days.

Please explain again with more detail.

I think I’ve found them all on the MR 75 year discs.

UPDATE _ Steve, tried again. I got it. Thanks

From a google search for switching puzzles

1. http://mrsvc.blogspot.ch/2008/09/westcotts-switchmans-nightmare.html

2. http://www.transum.org/Software/Shunting/Puzzles.asp

3. http://www.philobiblon.com/eisenbahn/puzzle_article.shtml

All I get is the home page for Kalmbach, when I click Steve’s link…

Andy Clarke said:

That’s all yer s’posed to get. Then you enter “puzzle” in their search engine. Too much time in the sun?

Steve Featherkile said:

Andy Clarke said:

That’s all yer s’posed to get. Then you enter “puzzle” in their search engine. Too much time in the sun?

There’s not an area to type into to search, on the page it directs me to…

http://trc.trains.com/Train%20Magazine%20Index.aspx?view=SearchResults&q=puzzle