Large Scale Central

Build Log for the Future of the KVRwy

Thank you, Steve…

I Googled “Trains.com” and the first option that came up was Trains.com with a search in the Google page of options. Right there entered “Puzzles” and got the bunch.

Andy Clarke said:

Thank you, Steve…

I live, only to serve, Sahib.

Sure glad us young’ns are around to keep you old guys straight…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Freaking old guys!

Go wash your face, then dry your ears.

Gee, I have played around with a few on-line switching puzzles. I only managed to get my locomotive mouse taped and give myself a headache. So, I know I am a rail-fan and not an operator.

Even Prototypes get “Mousetrapped”. No Fault, No Foul, but in Large Scale all you gotta do is bend down and pick the things up!

Andrew, it was a computer simulation, and I just had to hit the escape key. My brain doesn’t like working that hard at play, well, it does, but in different pursuits.

Earlier in this post, I stated - “Next step is to upgrade the legs.”

So what does that mean?

For any of you that have been around to see the evolution of my large scale version John Allan’s “TimeSaver” puzzle, you have seen how I have struggled with the adjustable legs. For the first “TimeSaver”, I used foldable metal sawhorses. They were somewhat adjustable, also used on the portable “steam layout”, and at the previous East Coast Large Scale Trains under the Allan Wright “Inglenook” part of the puzzle. These saw horses are heavy and difficult to store. Part of the solution was plastic electrical conduit pipe. Each leg was made up of a couple of pieces when assembled and allowed the “TimeSaver” to have major adjustments for how it was displayed.

First height was when it was independent, like at the ECLSTS, and at the height of the metal sawhorses. This was allowed by one area of adjustment where the threaded male portion of the electrical conduit goes into the female socket, that was attached to the under side of the modules. By screwing the threads in and out, the height could be manipulated about 3/4 's of an inch. Another female socket was at the bottom of the legs for added stability and wear.

This second female electrical conduit fitting gave the end of the legs a little extra footing. But it also provided an attachment for a second section of the legs that allowed a height to be adjusted to the height of the Gateway Garden Railroad Club’s modular layout with track height of about 40 inches. With the second junction, the adjustment is about 1 1/2 inches.

The basic problems with the electrical conduit legs is a poor attachment under the modules and a constant possibility of binding in the threads and then an over zealous helper that would tighten to tight or put too much pressure when trying to take loose and break the coupling. Fear was always of it happening during set up, but fortunately, it has always happened during take down and given me time to repair.

The next problem is stability. With not being attached to the “Inglenook” with the saw horse legs or to the Club’s modules, the whole puzzle is unstable.

All of these legs, whether conduit pipe or metal saw horses are cumbersome to store and transport.

The electrical conduit sockets under the modules was necessary so the modules can sit on the bench work as part of our former home layout. So they had to be, at least, flush if not recessed. So foldable legs or anything hanging below the edge of the module is unusable.

Dan Patterson has rebuilt the “Inglenook” puzzle to be 36 inches by 48 inches and it now has a sunken well for the car float, but no legs. He removed the electrical conduit leg sockets from the “Timesaver” portion of the puzzle. So what we are going to use for legs is 24 inch by 48 inch foldable plastic tables. There will be 3 under the “TimeSaver” and 2 under the new “Inglenook”. They have major adjustment of 22 inch, 29 inch or 36 inch. The minor adjustment will be with all thread rod inserted in to the leg tubes with washers welded on the bottom of the rod for a foot and washers and nuts to allow fine adjustment. I’m anticipating that the all thread rods will be about 12 inches each. This has not been tested.

I was wondering how to attach the modules to the tables and realized that isn’t a problem because the modules can be held together with spring clamps, as used on the “TimeSaver”, and since the tables are only 24 inches wide and the modules will range from 30 inches to 36 inches, the tables can be squeezed between the clamps.

Next concern is to come up with a solution for the rail clamp. Split Jaws work great, but are a pain in the ass to attach.

Stay tuned.

May 28, 2015 - Progress continues as the Inglenook Module Replacements are being primed and painted. The bracing was added to the TimeSaver modules to allow for the new theory of folding tables to be used for legs. The 3 additional folding tables have arrived as the foldable tables have arrived to replace the plastic conduit legs. The next step is designing the folding table leg extensions out of “all thread” rod. Not really much reason for pictures, yet, as we are just gathering material. Stay tuned.

June 20, 2015 -

The new modules are painted and the leg extensions have been created and fitted to the folding tables. As we begin our summer Operations travel, you might think progress has stopped. Small projects such as etching the stones in to the backboards will travel with us. The first showing of these new modules is the ECLSTS 2016, so we are moving along on schedule. The folding tables, leg extensions and new clamping procedures will debut at the Annual Greater St. Louis Thanksgiving Weekend Train Show.

Time to get on the road, enjoy some operations and see friends.

Ric Golding said:

June 20, 2015 -

As we begin our summer Operations travel, you might think progress has stopped. Small projects such as etching the stones in to the backboards will travel with us.

Humm, now you can show people how to switch and do some modeling. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)Cant wait to see the new modules. Glad I got to see the old version this year before the went into the shop. Now I can compare… I know I don’t have to tell you to have fun on the road.

12 July, 2015 - the delay in our travels and the heat has allowed progress to proceed on the module upgrades. New modules are painted and the old ones that were being replaced, have had the track removed and created a wonderful evening campfire.

Plan, create, use, plan, repair, create changes, use, rebuild, recycle usable parts, burn mistakes and enjoy the fire. :wink:

Ric,

Thank you for considering Kam Konnect’s products. Large Scale trains are wonderful & awesome however Kam Konnect doesn’t have a product for this market at this time. We’re releasing Lazy SuZan’s that may be useful for Large Scale models. We use industrial grade Lasy Susan “race’s” for our Lasy SuZan product line. A Kam Konnect Lazy SuZan is perfect for placing a model on top of the turn table to fashion a model. The modeler can sit or stand in one place and turn the table while working on a model instead of moving the model into place. Check out Kam Konnect’s next ad in November’s Model Railroader.

Thank you very much.

David Conway

Kam Konnections

Dave, I want to thank you for taking the time to talk to me and help me make the decision to rebuild. I’m sorry your product did not meet my needs, it looks like a great idea and I’m still looking forward to seeing them in person.

www.kamkonnect.com

Quick update - The Gateway Garden Railroad Club did not set up for Thanksgiving and we were in Florida, while the layout was set up at OC Joseph’s car dealership at Christmas. Yes, we were home, but did not make it over to the dealership, in the short time we were there.

2nd weekend of February is the Gateway Garden Railroad Club Winter Meet in Carlyle, Illinois. We made it home for this and though I didn’t feel ready to set up the “Timesaver” as part of the club layout, I did do some testing. We were able to make it fit up exactly, what more can be asked. Simple white table for frame work and very adjustable legs. Though not needed at ECLSTS, we’ll bring legs to demonstrate the changes, both at the show and the “Drag and Brag”.

Debut of the new legs, as far as photos and judgement from a very distinguished jury will be at the ECLSTS, LORD willing. Probably leave the new “Inglenook” at home, its just not ready, and once again, we are having too much fun. BUT with the past weekend test of the “Timesaver”, its definite to be there with the old original track plan. I’m sure there are old pictures and memories in the time machine.

Also working on the conversion to all 1:20.3 rolling stock, plus whatever AndyC brings.

Ric Golding said:

(snip) plus whatever AndyC brings.

Ric, I’ll bring Autoracks and 60 ft boxcars for the timesaver… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

dang mouse.....  double post...

Can I bring some stuff to run on the “timesaver” as well?