Large Scale Central

Bucket Coaling Station

Nice job Bruce. Where was the prototype located?

Thanks, Geoff. The prototype was located in Broadhead, Wisconsin. The article talks about them being quite common, with most erected between 1900 and 1920 - and used up until the 50’s. I didn’t have any OUTDOOR boxcar red, so I went over to Home Depot and got an 8 ounce sample that seems close. :o

Bruce;

Beautiful model. I am scratching my head over one detail. The hoist seems to use a long-stroke cylinder to raise the bucket, but it also has a crank. Did it used some sort of hand-cranked hydralic pump to move the piston?

Thanks,
David Meashey

Hehe. Good question!

From the article:
“The fireman scrambled up atop the tender and amidst a great rattling of chains, compressed air and hoist united to lift a bucket of coal up 12 ft. or so where it would clear the tender as the crane was swung around. The fireman smacked the bucket latch bar with a large hammer, the bottom dropped open and coal cascaded out.”

“A gondola spotted behind the shed indicated that the drudgery of this facility was not the dumping of the coal into the buckets. Section hands shoveled the coal onto a platform in the rear of the shed, and then shoveled it a second time into the buckets! That’s a lot more work than I care to think about. What’s more, the crane was originally equipped with a hand crank. The air hoist mechanism was added in a ‘modernization’ program.”

Probably more than you wanted to know. :wink:

Bruce Chandler said:
...Probably more than you wanted to know. ;)
Bruce, I've spent hours yarnin' with old time railroad workers about their work and 'the way things used to be' . Loved every minute of it. Also reading old Railroad Mags and books of RR folklore. Can't seem to get enough! Thanks for this latest tidbit of yours!

Bruce;

Thanks. I understand now why the hoist seemed to have a dual mechanism.

When I helped out at the W,K&S, I used to hate the days that I had to shovel the same coal twice. If we failed to call the coal merchant to bring his scoop loader in time, the fireman got stuck with loading the tender. That meant filling a wheelbarrow with coal, then rolling it across a stout plank laid from the coal dock to the lip of the tender, and dumping it into the tender. Later the fireman shoveled that same coal into the firebox.

Ah, the good old days,
David Meashey

Dave’s an interesting fella, isn’t he, guys? Spends his spare time in Middle Earth, and at the same time he’s chock-full of factual stories about his Down to Earth experiences in real-life railroading too… Great Stuff, Dave!

yes, Dave is a great fellow. when he posts, he has something to say or tell.

Started the roofing. I’m using some corrugated metal I got from someplace a long time ago - very sturdy stuff. It’s going to take awhile, as I should only put one piece on at a time, clamp it, and then let the glue dry. As seen below, I went with a bunch of sheets at once, but it’s hard to clamp them in place.

Been there, done that. Not much fun, but worth it in the end, esp when that tin is all rusted and weathered!..

Slowly, slowly, slowly. :wink: All the roof panels are now in place. I had primed them with Krylon gray primer before gluing them in place. Today I put on a coat of iron. I’ll let that dry and then put some rust antiquing on; but, I really don’t have much of that left! But, this should also “rust” after I place it outside.

Beautiful , please consider a simple wood bench for the workers to sit down on after filling the tender or shoveling the coal hopper empty , and get in out of the weather .

yup, another great model, Bruce…

Dennis Paulson said:
Beautiful , please consider a simple wood bench for the workers to sit down on after filling the tender or shoveling the coal hopper empty , and get in out of the weather .
With an icebox for the beer!

Hmm…a bench sounds like a good idea. In the meantime, I’ve added some rust to the roof. I guess it will rust even more when left outside, but I don’t think I want to seal it.

It’s too clean on the inside !

Gary Buchanan said:
It's too clean on the inside !
Yea!!

I vote…Ice box for beer!

Probably needs a work bench with a radio… Just sayin’

Another work of art. Or Bruce. Your attention to detail is what sets your work apart from what many others do.