Large Scale Central

Bucket Coaling Station

When I’m working with the nailer upstairs I just use a portable air tank. Charged to 95 pounds it will drive a lot of pins. If you don’t have a compressor, a tank (or spare tire - just watch pressure) could be filled at a gas station.

I added some more coal and glued it in place. Making tiny bits out of big bits of coal is a real pain. :o I also coated the inside with Thompson’s Waterseal.

i was a little confused, why you fed us the building steps one by one, after we saw the done modell on the first page… - untill i read again and found out, that the pic on the first page was showing an “eich-ouh” modell!

Bruce Chandler said:
I added some more coal and glued it in place. Making tiny bits out of big bits of coal is a real pain. :o
I built my own 1 hammer stamp mill for the job. Open top plywood box built around a concrete paver. The stamp is a 10"x10" tamper. Would be better if mechanized :)
Bruce Chandler said:
Making tiny bits out of big bits of coal is a real pain. :o
I put a couple pieces in an old sock and pound the hell out of it with a hammer............;)

Take your lump of coal down the road and put it on the ol’ railroad track…

I think the closest track to Bruce is probably an Acela line. The coal would get punted all the way to Atlanta.

I lived for a few years in the early 1970s in the Anthracite area of Pennsylvania - Pottsville, Saint Claire, Orwigsburg. There used to be these “hills” of coal fines, dumped there once the anthracite was washed or screened. Local people called them “culm banks.” That stuff would probably have been perfect for the project, perhaps with some “buckwheat” sized screened coal added to make it look more like mine run. Unfortunately, Pennsylvania Power & Light discovered that they could add the culm to the fuel oil used in their steam boilers and get about 33% more BTUs out of the same fire. Within a few years all those culm banks were gone!

Probably could still get fines for the asking if you could locate a coal dealer in your area. The dealer would probably be glad to give you more than enough for your project.

Just a thought,
David Meashey

Bob McCown said:
I think the closest track to Bruce is probably an Acela line. The coal would get punted all the way to Atlanta.
Nah, it's the Autotrain........;)

The Acela stops in DC…

Bastan to DC and back

Thanks to Bob, I got the chain I wanted to complete my crane.

That’s exquisite, Bruce!

Nice
:slight_smile:

Congrats , it looks so right .

Real nice Bruce :slight_smile:

That’s really neat Bruce. Almost enough to make me convert my steamers to coal…almost. :wink:

Nice work Bruce. That should be a real focal point to the pike.

So, where exactly is this going to be placed? Looks like it has a pretty good sized foot print and I’ve been trying to picture your yard, but I can’t remember how much space there is there. (I need to get down there for another operating session…;))

Richard Smith said:
That's really neat Bruce. Almost enough to make me convert my steamers to coal...almost. ;)
I run 'em both, side by side. And the heck with the naysayers!
Ken Brunt said:
So, where exactly is this going to be placed? Looks like it has a pretty good sized foot print and I've been trying to picture your yard, but I can't remember how much space there is there. (I need to get down there for another operating session......;))
Thanks, guys.

Ken, over by Buchanan Tool & Die there’s a water tower - I will be putting in a new siding and putting it there. I need to get out and work on the track.