Large Scale Central

Bridging a Gap

That idea of alternating the wood and plastic ties is going to be adopted on my railroad. I want to retrofit two trestles for walkways and water barrels and that will work great.

Me too Doug. I have a GMM metal deck bridge that I was planning on handlaying the track, but I’m stealing Rick’s idea and am going to do that instead.

Looking good!!!

-Kevin.

A small update. I couldn’t wait any longer. I had to set the bridges in place and get a look at the scene. Looks pretty good but lots of work yet to do.

(

The central pier has been wrapped with wire lathe and set plumb and level using the anchor bolts as explained previously. The opening will be covered with a removable sheet metal plate, the rest will be stuccoed and covered with an engraved stone pattern. The abutments at each end will also receive this stone treatment.

The six inch space between the bridges had to be filled so I obtained some ABS sheet locally and fabbed a center section to, hopefully, match the bridge construction. This section seemed like the perfect place for the Refuge step outs and some water barrels so I built this section 15 inches wide to provide the room for this.

The Refuge section mounted on the bridge center span.

Thanks for taking a look.
Rick

Impressive! Looks like a good rail fan spot…:wink:

impressive!

Wow! That IS impressive!! When you asked me about the bridges from Scott, I knew from your talent and craftsmanship that this would be a centerpiece on your railroad. AND you didn’t disappoint!:slight_smile: When I FINALLY get my “little arches” in place, I’ll never get close to where you have placed the bar now. Outstanding work Rick. Thanks for posting.

Rick, beautiful work… As Gary says ““this will be a centerpiece on your railroad””… I can see many pictures taken of the area…

That’s magnificent!

That looks fantastic!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

…WOW…

Ken Brunt said:
Impressive! Looks like a good rail fan spot...........;)
I agree. Good spot for some low angle close-ups using the natural background in the distance. Nice work!
David Russell said:
...:).....
WOW Rooster, two extra periods! I'm slowly getting the hang of your communication system. :P ;)
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
David Russell said:
...:).....
WOW Rooster, two extra periods! I'm slowly getting the hang of your communication system. :P ;)
Cool!.....when you have it figured out Hans Joerg please enlighten me cause I haven't broken my own code yet. I'm still looking for the "hit any key' on my keyboard and I Can't Find IT! ;)

The Rooster had his elbow on the period key again.

Jon Radder said:
_ . _ . :) _ _ . _
Now dont YOU start...

:confused:

Bob McCown said:
Jon Radder said:
_ . _ . :) _ _ . _
Now dont YOU start...

:confused:

Just lookin’ to see if the Rooster can decode that :slight_smile:

Another name for a Rooster?

Getting closer to completion. The bridges are permenately installed in their removable positions and the center bridge installed. I left a total of 1/2 inch spaceing for expansion when the wood begins to swell from the wet weather, hope it is enough.

(

The refuge platform installed, the track comes next.

Track installed and ready for the ribbon cutting.

A shot of the completed bridge, well, completed that is except for all the work left to do on the abutments. But at least it is operational for this Sunday when we have our annual “Night Run”. The great thing here is from the bridges “West” into and including the Humboldt Yards there is no track power to deal with.

Thanks for taking a look.
Rick

Very nice Rick! It gets better and better!:slight_smile: