Large Scale Central

Bridgework

Is this a “chicken or the egg” question?

Greg

If a rooster lays an egg on Kens and My proprtyline whos egg is it? Kens or mine?

deleted

Somebody needs an anatomy lesson…

Steve Seitel said:
Somebody needs an anatomy lesson...
:D

I should read the posts more carefully. :slight_smile:

Getting this back on topic… Rails installed, spiked and first soaking of ties with stain.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bob_mccown/Trackwork/Bridges/ties_2.jpg)

Guard rails, even? Fred will be proud of you…:wink:

Looks good bob. And quick enough it was almost like you have an automatic spiker. :slight_smile:

“…a 7 foot hunk of bridge ties, ready for final spiking (theyre spiked every 3rd or 4th right now), and staining/protecting…”

Bob, what did you cut the bridge ties from? Cedar? Redwood? or ?? I didn’t see it in your post. What are you using to protect them?

I ask because I had planned just to zip-tie some flex track to my new Eaglewings bridge, but now (after reading this post) I think that would look a little tacky. Yours is going to look great, though.
Steve

Nice Bob. No time for that now but I do have it on the list :slight_smile:

They’re made from Western Red Cedar. I get fence boards at the local lumber yard. They’re 5/8" thick, and I slice them about 3/8 wide, and a bit less than 6" long. These are nailed (nail gun!) to a cedar batten the length of the bridge. Then I slice some cedar for the walkway board, and nail that on, too.

They’re stained with oil-based stain, then I’ll soak them with clear deck sealer. The cedar, combined with the sealer, should make these last a long while.

Nice!
:slight_smile:

Great. Thank you.
Steve

Is that cedar you are using kiln-dried or are they going to shrink?

David Russell,

I’m located in Mechanicsburg, PA and I have a few hundred feet of 45mm track. After a visit from Ray up in the Boston area it was suggested that you were local to me and that I should contact you. It seems that I’m a “new member” to this board and thus cannot contact you directly, so please forgive my offtopic post to this thread as I didn’t see another easy means to contact you.

Can you contact me?

– Charlie

EDIT / UPDATE

I have been provided David’s direct email address. Thank you to all who helped there. While I am quite aware of the link near a user’s name to email them, it seems that since I have a “new” account I cannot access this feature due to the following error message:

New or inactive users are not allowed to send messages to memebers

(and yes, it is actually spelled “memebers” and not “members.” I did not typo that)

A new account must be based on a number of posts as I’ve actually been signed up here since March, I just don’t really know anyone (yet) and thus haven’t posted until today.

Also, the railroad is NOT for sale. I enjoy operating frequently and have several plans to expand in the coming years. The equipment roster seems to always be expanding with now three live steamers and tons of other fun equipment. Thanks for your interest, those who inquired, but none of my trains are for sale. They are, however, open to having fun and I would welcome a fellow modeler’s visit to the area.

Welcome Charlie,
I will contact you and your secret haven in Sunnyland is safe with me
:wink:

David Russell said:
Welcome Charlie, I will contact you and your secret haven in Sunnyland is safe with me ;)
I guess the haven isn't so secret any more.

;)…join us in chat sometime
Once again welcome!

Yep, they’re dried fence boards. Ive had some of it outside for 5+ years with no issues.