Large Scale Central

Bill’s first Mik entry 2024

Mama says 3D printing is the Devil.

“The devil was a nerd in high school”

Don’t look it up, who sang that verse?

Good point Dan,

I was just looking Arrow’s combination stapler that does staples, wires and pins. I’m going to need to learn some terminology before I buy and more importantly find out what’s available in Oz.

BTW is there a sighting mechanism that allows precise placement or do you just have to get to know your nailer?

Small bit of advice if you get a nailer. Don’t hold a piece of 1/2" material in your hand while shooting it with 3/4" pins, OUCH!

Isn’t that where the phrase “Nailed-it” came from? Ouch!

The Arrow combo stapler uses 18 gauge pin nails. What we are referring to are 23 gauge headless pins. The headless pins are less likely to split the small timbers we typically use in our scale and they are only there to hold the pieces together long enough for the glue to dry.

The ones I have do not have a sighting mechanism but you can clearly see where the pin is going.

Heed Jon’s advice about pinning thin wood and your hand placement and pay attention to knots.

I second everything being said about pin nailers. I started with compressed air, with the pin nailer from Grex. I liked that machine but the compressor is noisy.

The Grex nailer stopped working after a while and I was under time pressure so didn’t take the time to try to fix it and, after hearing about the battery pin nailers, I went with the Riyobi.

I find the Riyobi to be significantly heavier, a bit more difficult to aim, but much quieter. It shoots the same 23 gauge headless pins as the Grex.

One thing I’ve noticed: it is pretty easy to hit the “entry” spot for the pin. But it can be sometimes difficult to get things lined up so the pin goes in straight and doesn’t accidentally come out of the side. Particularly if you’re in a hurry. That’s been the source of most of my blood loss from pins.

Yes, I do. I have a lot of filaments not suitable for the garden, and one roll of ASA. I can tinkercad, but haven’t got my head around fusion 360 despite being owned by the same company.

As an aside, Halloween is finally catching on here, to the disappointment of those not knowing its history and blaming it all on America. BUT, as no one really knows about trick-or-treating, every child this year received a few 100grams of PLA creations along with lollies.

I keep looking at resin, but need to get the garden rail up and running first, as @Eric_Mueller says, “get something going in the garden!” first.

Oh, and nail guns are useful in all kinds of situations:

(“trigger” warning, pun intended: violence in video)

You’ve just taken home repair to a new level, Jim!

1 Like

Oh, we can fix that, heee, heee, heeeeee :nerd_face:. Challenge accepted. Oh, Devon, oh @Devon_Sinsley , we have a new pupil.

But we’ll wait til after Mik is complete before school officially commences.

1 Like

Cooool plus 20 more “o”

I second, third, fourth? the use of a nail gun. They are essential to building. I use a 18g brad nailer for the framing, usually 1/2 x1/2 strips and then the 23g pin nailer for the siding and smaller stuff on my builds. I have a pancake compressor that is a lot quieter than my bigger one but still loud when it comes on.
Electric ones are a fine option that I would recommend. It’s not like you will be using it to frame a real house.
If you get one wear safety glasses and be careful where your fingers are when you shoot it.

you got me I have no idea

Not to long after I got my nailer I was shooting long pins through 3/4 materiel. Then switched to small pins and thin basswood. but didn’t adjust the pressure. went clean through the wood and was sticking out of my finger.

1 Like

I can certainly sympathize. It seemed like I needed to watch a video EVERY time I cranked it up just to figure out how to do something basic. And when fiddling in the program I would VERY often have to start over because something happened that made everything go bonkers. So, after looking around I found OpenSCAD that gives you the same look but has a programming interface, complete with variables that makes it VERY easy for me to use. There’s still a learning curve, but I can easily make something and it comes out right! Lots of videos are also available.

Yes we do. Bill, Dan is a master at Fusion and was/is an awesome teacher. I am at a point with it where I feel comfortable saying I have it mastered. And since we use it, that means you can share files with us and we can open them up and look at them and walk you through things.

Re nailers and air source. Some years back for a reason that escapes me, I bought a 10 gallon portable air tank. I charge it outdoors with my big compressor, then use it indoors with the nailers. Nice and quiet!

I got you beat. I like my method better. 33 years ago I bought (okay I married) a deaf lady. She can’t hear my air compressor running in my hobby room. Problem solved.

Interestingly after I got married, reportedly I developed a selective hearing deficit. :upside_down_face: