Large Scale Central

Big problem with Piko switches

I have a big problem with my Piko switches (radius 1).
I only run Bachmann Spectrum (locos) and Large Scale rolling stock (all equipped with metal wheels). When the trains use the main route at full speed, no problem at all.
But on the diverging route, the trains must run very slowly if I don’t want to see a big derailment !
The rails are in brass but the rest of the switch is just one plastic block.
Many thanks for your advices.

Even the 1:1 guys have to slow down for sharp turns. if you want to run fast through switches ya gotta have long slowly diverging ones…

Bart Salmons said:
Even the 1:1 guys have to slow down for sharp turns. if you want to run fast through switches ya gotta have long slowly diverging ones…

You’re right! Every diverging route needs a specific speed limit.
But there’s a little difference between 20 mph (slow) and 3 mph (too slow)…
I don’t need a HST on my layout but I still have a big technical problem with these switches.

Sorry Chef, boomer is absolutely right. R3, or 8ft diameter curves are required for 1:20.3 and larger scale models in any other scale (1:32 - 1:20.3). The only 1:20.3 stuff I have that will handle the R1 switch is my Bachmann 2-truck Shay and 45-Tonner…But no Bachmann Spectrum rolling stock will work if coupled to another.

LGB is the only brand specifically designed to run through R1 switches…Even the longest engines/cars in their standard line will work with R1’s. Most other brands mark their stock “Large radius curves required” right on the box.

I would sell your R1’s on ebay, always a market for them, then use the money to by the 8’ switches.

Chef

Purchase a Shay

Thanks for your answers !
I don’t have enough space to use a large radius.
I run only these small engines: a 0-4-0 and a Davenport.
On the diverging way at very low speed, it seems to be a sort of bump on the track and I don’t know why…

I know on my R1 Aristo switches there is a bump as the wheels pass over the frog.
The frog isn’t deep enough. However, it’s not enough of a bump to cause derailments.
Ralph

I wonder of the wheel flange is bottoming out on the frog?

Ralph Berg said: I know on my R1 Aristo switches there is a bump as the wheels pass over the frog. The frog isn’t deep enough. However, it’s not enough of a bump to cause derailments. Ralph

It is exactly what happen. It’s really a big bump when trains run at very low speed.
At low speed it’s enough to cause derailments.

Bob McCown said: I wonder of the wheel flange is bottoming out on the frog?

Good idea! I’m going to check the frog and the wheels.

If that is not it, it’s probably a back to back gauge and guardrail width problem.

Greg

For the rolling stock, problem solved!
I used LGB metal solid wheel set # 67419.
It works fine but I can’t do that for my locos.

Still have not checked the wheel gauge or the back to back huh?

R1 is 600mm, in other words half of what your equipment requires. You’re lucky any of the Bachmann stuff gets through there!

The 0-4-0 is not ok on R1 curves?

I find that hard to believe.

Bachmann sells R1 curves too.
All my cars and my locos run as well as possible on these curves.
The problem is only on the diverging way of the switches, between the frog and the guard rail.
I also know that R1 is 600mm. I was born and raised in Metric System (LOL)!

Greg Elmassian said : Still have not checked the wheel gauge or the back to back huh?

Oooops ! I’m going to check it ASAP Greg !

Just because they sell R1 track and turnouts doesn’t mean that all their stuff will run on it - they are not LGB.

BTW a number of forum participants migrated from the smaller scales. In those smaller scales we had/have the luxury of precise standards and manufacturers who actually adhere to those standards.

And yet any reasonably smart model railroader in the smaller scales will check the track work for proper standards and before adding rolling stock to the layout will check the wheelsets for conformance.

Why this wouldn’t be a matter of course in Large Scale will remain a puzzle to me. Not that I really worry about it, I build my own turnouts and buy flextrack that is within the standard I follow, I also replace wheelsets with the “good stuff” from Sierra Valley. Which makes for smooth operation on C215 track profiles.

It’s very simple and very clear : I do what I want !

And I don’t need your advices. You’re too smart for me !

Another Deleted member ??? Why do you guys insist on beating up on these people? Just kidding of course.
I just read through the postings and I don’t know why the guy would get so upset.
I don’t know if it is the heat but people lately seem to be very angry or very sensitive.
Trains are FUN. (period) or should be.

In answer to the post: I do like my LGB switches since they are very forgiving and “loose” enough to accept all manufactures’ trains. I do have a few switches from Aristo and they are a bit bumpy with a few pieces of rolling stock.
Also if the OP had stuck around, I believe it is possible to get some Spectrum stuff through R1 switches if they are 2 truck like a Heisler or Shay and the rolling stock is OK too but Don’t try something bigger. Idid test with my 2-6-6-2 and it would make it around a R2 or 5’ diameter track but that track had better be level or it will derail. The R1 No way.

Must of self ignited in this heat…:stuck_out_tongue:

Todd,

What I’ve noticed: it could be some “French Connection” thing. Three “Deleted Members” with some French(??) influence and they seem to be a bit “touchy” (Attention! Trés fragile!)? Must be their “je ne sais quoi”.