Large Scale Central

Bachmann Streetcar Scuttlebutt

Howdy all! I just sold my LGB New Orleans streetcar on ebay for a ridiculous amount of money. I was hoping to convert some of those funds to purchase one of the Bachmann Peter Witt Streetcars. After seeing them “in stock” all over the place, I am being told they are not available due to a circuit board issue. Anyone know what’s up?

-Brian

Read the review in the latest GR Magazine. The review was by Dave Goodson, and he didn’t mention any problems…and we all know Dave…!!

I did. Why do you think I came here? I was told this by the vendor.

I think there was a question about the lighting circuit because it does not extinguish the tail lights during reverse moves. Maybe this is the problem?

I gather that there is more to it than that, but we may have to wait a while for the whole thing to come out…stay calm…just another case of bugs in the system.

I don’t know. I have been running mine, and its been working just fine.

*** ALL posts on this thread deleted due to personal name calling and general bitching by Mike Morgan, if you want to find the answers I have to avoid burning up a decoder in the Peter Witt streetcar contact me personally… ***

So Mike you got your wish… Now you have nothing to complain about…

Regards, Greg

Yes Brian. Should I be worried about my trolley? Is it going to suddenly have a serious issue?

David, what type of power/control system are you using to run yours?

Matthew (OV)

Variable DC, from an Aristo Train Engineer. No, its not set to PWM, its set to linear.

Does it make a difference?

*** ALL posts on this thread deleted due to personal name calling and general bitching by Mike Morgan, if you want to find the answers I have to avoid burning up a decoder in the Peter Witt streetcar contact me personally… ***

Regards, Greg

All I know is what I told you. I went to purchase one from a vendor who used to have a store in LaLa land and is now semi retired. He told me they are not available now due to a circuit board issue. I also remembered RLD having them in stock and suddenly they were no longer available.

David - I wasn’t being aggressive; I just wondered if people using different systems had experienced different results. So, we know of at least one that’s running OK on straight DC … now perhaps we’ll hear from some of the other possibilities and see how they’ve done, assuming that others actually have them up and going.

Matthew (OV)

Matthew, whoa, neither was I. I was just asking if it makes a difference what kind of power is supplied to the trolley. I mean, would the “issue” more likely reveal itself on one type of power versus another? Or doesn’t the type of power make a difference?

I apologize if you thought I was posting with an attitude, or in response to aggressiveness. Neither was the case. I was simply asking a question.

Rockwall Canyon Jeff, if the problem is simply the rear end lights staying on, or staying red, even in reverse, I don’t care. I don’t back up my streetcars enough for that to be an issue for me.

Regards, Greg

Greg, and that is what I am concerned about.

Should I quit running my streetcar?

Regards, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

nope, just leave it on DC…

Greg

That’s prototypical anyway, innit? 600VDC / 29 = 20VDC Straight Line.

(Ducks, covers) :slight_smile:

Matthew (OV)

Regards, Greg

Linear on the train engineer is obtained by adding a capacitor to filter out the pulses.

If this capacitor gets weak or opens, then you would always have pulses no matter what the switch setting!!

Solution could be add your own non-polarized capacitor to filter out unwanted pulses.

This is where the oscilliscope can be real handy to see if there is any pulses/noise on the line, and do it under a load.