Large Scale Central

Bachmann Streetcar Scuttlebutt

Greg Elmassian said:

The issue may be much deeper.

Greg

Why didn’t TOC mention this in the review? Or was it selectively edited out? Or third option unknown?

-Edit wrong quote from Greg.

Dan, but I don’t own an Oh-silly-scope

Craig, maybe he didn’t know about it at the time. Or maybe they thought it would be resolved by the time his review went to press

David Maynard said:

Dan, but I don’t own an Oh-silly-scope

Craig, maybe he didn’t know about it at the time. Or maybe they thought it would be resolved by the time his review went to press

Well knowing the history of GR and Dave and his reviews of a specific manufacturer (Bachmann) it wouldn’t surprise me if GR/Marc selectively edited out specific negative reviews. Remember this was Dave’s first review post K-27… :wink:

Really, Guys…we should all stop speculating, and just wait until the truth can be told. Greg, and Dave, are doing very well, by not saying a word, and the speculation is not doing anyone any good.B’mann knows they have a problem, and seem to have recalled all unsold stock (From what I have heard here on the forum). Doing this allows them to make any changes, to whatever was causing some problem.

To expect Dave or Greg to say a word on this subject, is totally unfair, and could cause them a lot of grief…so…layoff, and the truth will come out sooner than we might expect…

*** ALL posts on this thread deleted due to personal name calling and general bitching by Mike Morgan, if you want to find the answers I have to avoid burning up a decoder in the Peter Witt streetcar contact me personally… ***

So Mike you got your wish… Now you have nothing to complain about…

Regards, Greg

I love a mystery, so Sherlokian.

Well, as of now my Bachmann streetcar is still working just fine. I haven’t opened it up to add people yet.

David Maynard said:

Well, as of now my Bachmann streetcar is still working just fine. I haven’t opened it up to add people yet.

Ohlord, don’t do that! You’ll screw up everything! ; )

Steve, I probably will. But, I am a technician, I can fix most anything, given enough tries. :wink:

David Maynard said:

Steve, I probably will. But, I am a technician, I can fix most anything, given enough tries. :wink:

That’s the spirit, if at first you dont solve it, get a bigger hammer.

:wink:

*** ALL posts on this thread deleted due to personal name calling and general bitching by Mike Morgan, if you want to find the answers I have to avoid burning up a decoder in the Peter Witt streetcar contact me personally… ***

Regards, Greg

I know it’s not etiquette to refer to one board on another, however persons interested in this subject should at least read

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,28055.0.html

Personally, I see their willingness to admit this as promising. I know there will be perspectives that they are spinning it, but at least they have learned that they need to get on the front foot with problems, not that I have had anything but good dealings with them.

Good to see that kind of response.

However, I guess I’m just my usual ignorant self. I am really curious how lack of proper lubrication can cause a component on a plug-in circuit board of the Large Scale Peter Witt to fail.

Increased friction leading to increased current draw and overheating maybe? I’m not enought of an electronics engineer to know.

Bruce Chandler said:

Good to see that kind of response.

However, I guess I’m just my usual ignorant self. I am really curious how lack of proper lubrication can cause a component on a plug-in circuit board of the Large Scale Peter Witt to fail.

Bruce

The board in question is what most of us call the “dummy plug”. This small board plugs into the main board when in DC mode. In DCC mode this part is removed and a decoder instaled.

The components on this “dummy board” are undersized. Under load for an extended period these components can heat up and fail causing either the streetcar to stop and/or the lights to no longer function in DC mode.

When you lubricate the motor, especially when new, the total amp load of the streetcar in oeration is reduced and these components do not heat up as much and do not fail.

Replacing this board is rather simple but does take care not to bend the 31 pin connector pins.

Hope that helps

Stan

Good lord, looks like I was right! Amazing!

Regards, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

The issue of components on the dummy plug which is removed when using a decoder of course have no bearing when a decoder is used.

the issue I have at hand is not related to the dummy plug.

On the topic that has caused the main board recall, it’s interesting.

The main board is being replaced because of parts only on the dummy plug?

Why not send out new dummy plugs?

Running the loco hard or increased current draw would seem to only affect those components passing current to the motor, so it seems strange that the lights would be affected.

But I’m not researching that problem, I’m researching a different one.

Regards, Greg

Greg

As I understand it, when the parts arrive Bachmann will send out to effected users a replacement dummy board and not the main board.

I have no idea what problem you are researching. If you think there is a problem I suggest you contact Bachmann and let them know.

Hinting on an internet board that there may be a problem in a product does no one any good.

It really is a lose lose situation. If ther turns out that there is a problem that they need to address the delay means that many more users will be effected.

If it turns out that no problem exists, many will believe the rumor and sales will be hurt which in turn hurts the prosprct for future products.

It really is best to communicate to the effected party your concerns.

Stan

Stan I am sure when Greg has a definitive answer, he will share it with all concerned.

I read Bachmann’s response and I did not see any mention of the dummy board. Just the whole unit.
Am I missing something??
Mike