Large Scale Central

Bachmann large scale Mallet VIDEO, from the B'mann site

Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/video.php

Methinks they will sell a ton of these, while the K has appeal with Colorado fans, I think this will have a much broader appeal for freelance large scalers, which makes up the majority of large scale narrow gaugers. The K is also a much larger model, and requires much larger curves, this one has already had the beans spilled by the B’mann that it will do much tighter curves than the K needs, so it will have a broader audience among more modest size layouts. :slight_smile:

Well, it certainly looks promising.

If it works as well as my late first generation Shay, I will consider purchasing a late first gen, or second gen model, once they get all the bugs worked out (like the smoke fan mounted backwards :smiley: ).

we’ll see how it does in WA State first…I’d like to have one, but right now, the funds ain’t there!

Wonder where that was filmed?

Looks nice. Be too big for my layout plus Im sure it will be more money then im willing to spend. I like the layout, wonder whos layout that is?

That’s going on my short list. What a great looking unit. Will there be a sound system (seperate unit like Phoenix) set up to sound right for this unit? I’ve never felt comfortable about the LGB Unitah it just doesn’t seem to have the right exhaust?

Hmmmmm…
Most (not all) but most of the logging rr’s in Wa. State that ran that kind of tank loco are standard gauge.

John Bouck said:
Hmmmmm.......... Most (not all) but most of the logging rr's in Wa. State that ran that kind of tank loco are standard gauge.
That may be referring to what Dave Goodson thinks of it. That is how I took the message or reply.

Ric…the Sierra’s used to have an option for compound operation, if ya can still find them… I’ll expect one of these to be operating the Cat Dump line…

Bart,
I’ve been kind of thinking the same thing. That is unless it replaces the Unitah on the Southern Division.

It’s a compound (true) Mallet. Exhaust from the rear cylinders dumps into the intake of the front cylinders (which is why they’re larger; the steam’s expanded once already, and you need more to do the same work) … the exhaust from the low pressure cylinders goes up the blast pipe and stack. SO… it sounds just like a regular two cylinder rod engine.

Compare that to the Simple Articulateds, which had steam to all four cylinders from the throttle, and both sets exhausted up the stack independantly… this gave you the syncopated “In and Out” chuff … and the Uintah/SV mallets are on the Simple Articulated list.

BUT …

Just in case you “really” wanted to hear the double chuff on this one …

A Simple articulated locomotive had an “emergency valve” in the cab that gave it extra help starting, and at slow speeds could provide extra power on grades. When this valve was engaged, the engine “became” a simple articulated engine, and would sound just like one…making the double chuff happen even on an engine where it normally would not. So, you’ve got an excuse.

And, you can read about it for real with all the pictures, diagrams, and official instructions here: http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/mallet.Html

On mine, I want to figure a way to rig two chuff timers (The Stanamatic Myopic Optichuff being among the first things to go,) one on the front engine and one on the rear … and then use the aux function on the RCS to be able to function as an operating “emergency valve.” Guess it’s a good thing I’m planning to chop the cab and add a tender forthwith…

Matthew (OV)

As I understand it the Mallet has been modified so that the super socket can be remounted to suit placement of the PnP-3BK RCS/EVO controller underneath one of the domes.
With half a chance the (so far un-named) updated version of the Phoenix P5 will be available in time for arrival of the Mallet. As the new Phoenix Px? will have 4 triggers, two could be set upfor a double (and independent) chuffs with two functions for Whistle and Bell.
I am not sure what method of chuff timer is being used. Optical Positive (which needs inverting like the K-27), Optical to ground, or some form of mechanical timing. Either way the RCS/EVO PnP-3BK can be set up to handle it.

I’m hoping for two mechanical timers … one on each set of drivers. If that’s not what there is, I’ll be setting it up that way if I can manage the engineering… I like real life timing, and while the Phoenix does offer the double chuff with phasing, I want mine to actually trigger off both engines. Just like with a simple locomotive, if it slips, the sound represents exactly what it’s doing… with this one if one or the other slips, the same will be true. Just picky, I guess… but the K-Rex is a thing of beauty!

Since I’m doing some major surgery on the 2-6-6-2, and won’t need the speaker, I suspect with or without dome space, that I’ll be able to remove the standoffs entirely, or use very short ones, and have all the headroom I need. Depending on the construction of the boiler, I may end up replacing the whole structure at that point anyway… it’s rumored that the boiler is open to the tanks, which I may decide have to go.

Which throttle does the PNP have at its heart?

Matthew (OV)

Hi Matthew.

The PnP-3BK uses the same motor driver IC as all the other RCS controllers except the BASIC-2. It does come fitted with built in RF chokes, caps and a chuff signal inverter.

The Phoenix P5 has the option of two separate chuff inputs. You can assign them to any contact you wish.
I guess I will be told eventually what type and how many chuff timers are fitted.

The Mallet seems to be running a lot better than the K-27. I am making a big assumption here, by assuming that there are two of the K-27 drives. Therefore both with the wrong gear ratios in the gear box. However in the earlier instance the motor made the loco barely passable. In this case two made the loco perform very nicely.
BUT, the problem still exists, if you think how much better each loco would perform with the correct gear ratios.

Barry - BBT

Ssshhh!!! Barry.

Keep that up and you will be classified as a heretic along with the rest of us already so classified.

Barry Olsen said:
The Mallet seems to be running a lot better than the K-27. I am making a big assumption here, by assuming that there are two of the K-27 drives. Therefore both with the wrong gear ratios in the gear box. However in the earlier instance the motor made the loco barely passable. In this case two made the loco perform very nicely. BUT, the problem still exists, if you think how much better each loco would perform with the correct gear ratios.

Barry - BBT

Hi Barry,
I have a K ,[ what is the problem that still exists] can you explain ??

Thanks Chuck

That, and if Bachman fixes all of thier drives to perfection where will that leave Barry’s market :smiley:

Guy’s,
I asked over on the B-man board about the gearing in the K, the Bachman said he belives the gearing in the new malet is 28 to 1. This should make everyone happy.

Chuck

Having not commented on the gearing of an as-yet-undelivered unit, I will say this:

It sure puts a stake in the heart of Stanley’s arguments trying to claim 14.5:1 in the k was the ideal, does it not?

Ugly thing, should have done a wayerhauser…