Large Scale Central

As for the debate of boxcar sizes running different scales toget

As for the old debate of varying boxcar sizes (running different scales together)
Let me say this about that:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/6924?size=_original

Great picture!!! Lots of detail. Worth studying extensively.

The next time someone comments about size mixture, just show them the picture!
Most of my railcars are LGB but I have bought several Bachman cars and a Bachman Shay recently and a caboose of unknown maker. They are plenty close in size.
In the west I’ve read that narrow guage cars got standard trucks and with a little rebuilding were used on standard guage. That would be a big difference in size but it worked for them.

Hmmm… There is so much white space at the top of the picture that I thought it was a blank page. Scroll down and WOW !!!

Great photo. Thanks for the link.

At the top right of the photo is a bridge-like structure heading up-down the hill. Was that an incline railway??

And don’t miss the other end of the yard… http://www.shorpy.com/node/6920?size=_original

Love that sagging gondola full of coal or ore at bottom left.

These pictures almost make me want to paint my entire railroad gray and detail with charcoals :smiley:

Nice!

I right clicked and set as background-stretch and man that is one monster photo!

great bg too!

cale

Jon Radder said:
And don't miss the other end of the yard... http://www.shorpy.com/node/6920?size=_original
I [i]gotta[/i] make that Pabst Brewing Company building at lower right! But, what scale? HO for Kathy? 1:48 for my On30? 1:24 or 1:20 for my G or Gn15?

I know - ALL THREE!

And then there’s those itty bitty ore(?) cars . . .
And then there’s . . .
And then there’s . . .
And then there’s . . .

Man, those are extra sharp! I love zooming in to look at all the details. There’s some neat ideas for details on your buildings. I might have to add some more stuff to my roofs.

Both pictures are great! I model Northern Pacific and there are a lot of great detail shots of different types and sizes of box cars and reefers. Infact the box car sitting on the curved track in the second picture with the steel support in clear view on the side is the box cars that NP made their famous wooden baywindow cabooses out of. That is the best picture I’ve seen to date of that box car. I’ll have to check that site out better.

Chuck

What fascinating pics these are. One could spend a fair amount of time just soaking in the detail and absorbing the period charm. Many inspirations to be gleaned from them I am sure.

Ya gotta poke around at the other railroad pictures on that site. There’s some Civil War era stuff from Atlanta and Chattanooga that’s just chock full of detail! Definitely bookmark material!

Later,

K

It really don’t blow my dress up modeling wise (I do like the structures though)
I find this funny as Forrest woke you guys up!
Nice job
:wink:

And as always there’s a modern day prototype of running trains at different scales.

EDIT: Here’s the link :point_down:

I’ve liked this one from Buffalo, NY early 1900’s…

I use it to justify my running 1:24 cars in my 1:20.3 trains…

1 Like

I model in LGB scale, so my availability in cars of that scale are limited, at least for my modeling likings of what looks good together. USA Trains cars in the old style reefers and boxcars are the only other cars I run with my LGB cars. Tank cars are one car that can be used it different scales and look good, as tank cars have always been in many sizes and don’t look out of scale with the LGB cars, My LGB boxcars are the limit of height of my rolling stock, except for a caboose’s extra height. Since I model the 1940’s I don’t have to deal with oversized cars, so it works for me and you do what works for you, it’s your railroad. I don’t have an engine, or rolling stock that hasn’t been modified in some form or fashion, just the way I model in G Scale.

Are you modeling in LGB scale or G Scale? I only ask as a modeler because you started with modeling in LGB (whatever that scale is/ rubber rule) however you finish with modeling in G Scale?

LGB scale is 1:22.5, which is what I try to keep all my models scaled to. Now I think of the large scale trains as g scale when speaking about the large scale trains in general. I know all the scales from one end of the spectrum to the other as well as you probably do, so getting technical about them I see no point to dwell into it.

I honestly wasn’t dwelling into it only asking? As a modeler I model in G:I (eye) scale which for me ranges anywhere from 1:32 to 1:29 including 1:24, 1:25, 1:26.5, 1:27, 1:20 and have built models using LGB 1:22.5 but it all runs on 45mm rail spacing so “technically” 1:32 is true to scale rail wise. I have also dabbled into using 1:48 and 1:87th scale parts while modeling as a modeler.

Good on you Bill, for bringing up these old threads.

Some of the posters are gone… I miss 'em.

But hey, their conversation goes on. So thanks dude.

My thoughts, in case anyone is interested;
As some know, we here on the IPP&W operate two fleets of over 250 cars each.
We devide the two fleets, not by scale, but by type of car…
The fleet we call “Narrow Gauge” is made up of rolling stock found on most on NG style railroads, in North America, which often still had wooden underframes/truss rods, and Archbar trucks. The scale varies , but can be 1:22.5 1:24, or even 1:29 if it looks OK at 10 feet…
The other fleet is what we call Standard Gauge, featuring rolling stock seen in the 1940’s through the middle 50’s…mostly 1:29, but if a car looks ok and blends in, even 1:24, or 1:22.5.
What we don’t do is mix rolling stock, obviosly of NG style, with the SG of the middle 40’s-50’s.
We also avoid the stock that is like the average stuff seen on railroads of today…we find that, although greatly detailed, is too subject to damage due to the fragile parts on them.
We welcome visitors to our operations, every Saturday morning, weather permitting.
Fred