Large Scale Central

As for the debate of boxcar sizes running different scales toget

No problem, I understand what you were asking, I use G Scale like drinking a Coke, it’s just a general term for me.

1 Like

I was very interested and thank you for bringing up some very excellent points!

One of the most often overlooked and forgotten about things when discussing scale and gauge was enlightening folks about the era or circa you model in which for you Fred is mainly in the 1940’s thru the 1950’s!

For me personally as a modeler I feel ERA/ CIRCA makes a huge difference with scale .

Honestly Fred, I feel if you ran modern day rolling stock on your, you’re OPERATING model railroad the FRAGILE parts would not be the issue as the old rolling stock had PLENTY of that!
The problem with running modern day rolling stock on an OPERATING model railroad such as yours you’res . Models of Bombardier, Trinity, Greenbrier ,etc would probably be a length issue not a detail issue while OPERATING a model railroad.

Before you know it modern day OPERATING railroads will be running modern trains on bridges without freaking guardrails !!

Old pictures 113

Old pictures 117

Old pictures 132

Rooster, my nephew ( engineer for UP) has OPERATED his assigned locomotives in one direction to another rail yard, where he gets out, walks to another set of locomotives and OPERATES that train back to his home terminal.

What do they do that in your operations that breaks parts off cars?

We don’t leave the rolling stock outside on the railroad between operations, which are EVERY Saturday morning. So, the rolling stock gets much handling. It is also coupled and uncoupled by hand (Long screw drivers) many times in an operation. It is placed in “Bread trays” and carried to storage sheds. All this handling causes minor breakage of delicate parts, a fact of life…remember 250+ cars, in and out every Saturday. We all try to be gentle with the cars, but damage is going to happed no mater what.
“Operations”, around here, mean MANY switching moves at stations, and industries along the line, like back in the days (40’s and 50’s) when almost every station had industries, and team tracks…to be served. We don’t run through trains, as a normal op, other than the ore trains, that are limited to only three mine sites, where groups of ore cares are picked up on the run to the “Ore dock” and empties dropped on the return move.
Why do we promote “Operations”…well that’s what the guys enjoy, and keep coming back each week for more…it involves two person crews, and every operation is different, it seems.
It promotes Friendship , and Socializing…Fun for everyone. Everyone seems to promote the true FRIENDSHIP found with our Group of Operators.
We have tried “Run-what-you-brung” days, but no-one seems interested.
It seems that Socializing is 50% of the hobby, so working together (Two person crews), and the small lunch at noon, fills the bill on that point. We do enjoy INTERESTED visitors, regularly…from all over…
We are VERY fortunate to have in Ottawa, a VERY large model railroad community to draw on. Most of our members (OVGRS) come from other scales…N,S,HO,O, and prototype (Museums, Preservation, and Historical)

1 Like

Car sizes are only a problem if you model in a scale size, other than that put your favorite cars on the track and run trains. What could be better than watching trains run with a Beer and BBQ and after a while I don’t even notice the trains.

Prototype? Scale? A beer drinker cares not for such things!

Eric,
I agree, however if the boy is gonna drink beer perhaps he should drink something something with a bit less alcohol content? You two would get into a lot less modeling arguments and he might not belligerently scream when finishing a model …" You ain’t got nothin like this oldman" !
He might also stop crushing the empty cans on his forehead and throwing them into the running ceiling fan in turn upsetting his mother!

are we nearing a special full moon?

1 Like