Large Scale Central

Anybody want an Aristo 10 amp power supply and train engr

I’ve gone “batt-y” and my old-style (not 2.4 g) Aristo 5460, 10 amp power supply and ART 5471 Walk Around Train Engineer need to go. Yours for FREE! Except for shipping, because it’s something that ya can’t just fit in a manila envelope.

If yer interested, let me know. Obviously. I mean, how else would I know, right? Duh!

I’ll take it!

I’ll take it!

Wow, must have been very excited!

BTW, you do know that you can use this with batteries and remove it from its case to save space. This used to be done all the time in the old days. You may want to reconsider and I don’t have a problem with that.

My first battery+ r/c conversion was an Aristo Pacific which had the complete 5471 trackside unit unit in the tender - case and all. I wrote about it in GR mag - must have been mid 1990s. GR used the attached pic, which I think was taken around 1995.

I still have a battery+r/c loco with NiMH batteries in the tender and an AR-5490 mini-onboard recvr and the handheld 5473 shown in the pic - it works fine after all these years. (I also have that original 5471 trackside recvr in its case somewhere, and another 5490.)

Pete,

I have prolly the same Aristo-based setup as yours in both of my running 10-wheelrs (I have a few other Bachmann locos that are on the RIP track) and the Aristo has worked OK on loco 1, but not A-tal with loco 2, maybe because the remote was somehow impaired. So I decided to fast forward, umm, 30 years and try Rail Boss 4. I just want the loco to run. BTW, previously, I converted both locos to battery power with the battery located in the top of the tender shell, under the coal load. Also, both locos have Phoenix sound systems dating back to that, pretty crude, era.

It appears that Todd has no problem with track power or with Train Engineer, which has it’s advantages, but is not for me.

To fill you guys in, at this stage in my life, I enjoy building structures and scenery modules (need some trees?) and am happy when I can make my locos do a few victory laps around the living room floor when company comes. I have delusions of grandeur when it comes to building the be-all and end-all of outdoor layouts like many of you have, but as of AD 2021 (or CD 2021), that ain’t on the order board.

Thanks, you’ve bee a great audience. I’m here 'til Thursday.

I use three TEs for the 21 blocks on my railroad. But one has started to go flakey in that when the point-to-point train stops past the diode, and there is no load, the voltage will drift to max, but will come back down when a load is applied. It actually became unusable until I replaced the small cap across the output. Would be nice to replace it and have a spare, even if flakey.

Just let me know the shipping cost and how you would like to receive it.

Thanks,

Todd

Hey Todd,

This is your lucky day, kinda. I just discovered another Train Engineer, unused and still in the box. I swiped the original hand remote, 5473, but you can have the successor which has multi channels et all. Also, many spare fuses.

As for shipping or whatever. The TEs are light and you could put them in a small box. But the power supply is heavier and as we say in racing, “Weight is the enemy.”

Or, because we’re not too far apart, you could air out your Vette and swing by my house where it’s always 10 degrees cooler. You could even see my '67 Porsche and my collection of scratch-built structures displayed on the living room rug. We’re home most of the time except for Friday July 30.

Your call

Joe Rusz said:

Hey Todd,

This is your lucky day, kinda. I just discovered another Train Engineer, unused and still in the box. I swiped the original hand remote, 5473, but you can have the successor which has multi channels et all. Also, many spare fuses.

As for shipping or whatever. The TEs are light and you could put them in a small box. But the power supply is heavier and as we say in racing, “Weight is the enemy.”

Or, because we’re not too far apart, you could air out your Vette and swing by my house in Seal Beach where it’s always 10 degrees cooler. You could even see my '67 Porsche and my collection of scratch-built structures displayed on the living room rug. We’re home most of the time except for Friday July 30.

Your call. speaking of such things (calls) I’m at 562-596-0927.

Or better yet!

On Sept 9 and 11 we are doing open house for the NMRA. Dave Sheegog (Castle Peak and Thunder), Vic Thies (Too Much Fun Railroad), Jim Kruger, and others in the area will also be on display. If you want to come down, I’ll tell you where they are and you can save $125 on admission.

Otherwise, I am up that way on August 8th as Jim Kruger will be putting on an open house that day for OCGRS at 4:00. Jim is behind the Cocos just north of the 22 Fwy at Valley View, so is close to you. He has a beautiful railroad if you’ve not seen it.

If those don’t work, I can certainly swing by.

Todd,

I’ll go for Door Number Two: Kruger on Aug. 8. Send me his address and I’ll see you there when the gates open. Or sooner. I hate to miss our dinner.

How about I forward the newsletter to you when it comes out at the beginning of the month. It will have all of the info and a couple nice articles too.

Jim is in the process of getting the railroad ready for the NMRA National Convention in Sept. These are videos of Jim Kruger’s Christmas run.

That’ll be swell.

Joe Rusz said:

That’ll be swell.

The newsletter came out today. Send me an email address and I’ll send you a copy with the info.

Thanks,

Todd

Todd,

How’s about jo

You’re welcome,

joe

Didn’t see you at the meeting today. We were there from 3:30-5:30.

Because, not having received the newsletter, I didn’t (and still don’t) know where Kruger lives. “Behind Coco’s” is kinda vague, especially since they’re closed. Shortly after your “send me an email address,” I put said address in a post (note the edited version above), then thought twice about it. Like, “Do we put personal data in a post or not?” Because if we don’t, then maybe such data goes through the web boss’s “A member has sent you a message,” or whatever it reads. But there’s no secret place to put it, since it reads, “Do not reply to this message.” So I briefly did post my email address in this thread. Apparently, you weren’t among the few lucky readers who spotted it (gentlemen, check your “Screen Grabs”), before I deleted all but the first two letters, being the paranoid that I am.

Anyway, this whole thing has been a huge (insert colorful descriptive here). If you want the Train Engineer, it’s yours when you come up with a plan. Meanwhile, I have doctors to see about my meds.

Joe Rusz said:

Because, not having received the newsletter, I didn’t (and still don’t) know where Kruger lives. “Behind Coco’s” is kinda vague, especially since they’re closed. Shortly after your “send me an email address,” I put said address in a post (note the edited version above), then thought twice about it. Like, “Do we put personal data in a post or not?” Because if we don’t, then maybe such data goes through the web boss’s “A member has sent you a message,” or whatever it reads. But there’s no secret place to put it, since it reads, “Do not reply to this message.” So I briefly did post my email address in this thread. Apparently, you weren’t among the few lucky readers who spotted it (gentlemen, check your “Screen Grabs”), before I deleted all but the first two letters, being the paranoid that I am.

Anyway, this whole thing has been a huge (insert colorful descriptive here). If you want the Train Engineer, it’s yours when you come up with a plan. Meanwhile, I have doctors to see about my meds.

I did spot it and sent the newsletter to the email you provided the next day (8/2). I still have it and it still shows up in my sent basket. It does not show as undeliverable. If you didn’t get it, you could have let me known here or by PM. You missed a really nice showing and a lot of great garden railroad people.

Let me know when it’s convenient and I’ll make arrangements to come up and get it.

Todd, I sifted through all of my new and old and even recently deleted emails, then typed your first and last name into the search box, which sent me back to the “a member has sent you a personal…” response, which when you click on takes you right back here. If there’s a place for a secret passage, then I’m missing it, since I’m of a certain age. Perhaps your announcement went into spam, which is possible, although I do look at what’s in spam before I kill it off. Or maybe you have one of those catchy email handles like a friend of mine, whose address I have to look up every time I want to write to him. Because who remembers catchy names? Anyway, your message is out there in the ether or in someone else’s mailbox where the guy is wondering… Well, you know what people wonder.

OK, with apologies for any miscues and perceived snarkiness on my part, let’s deal with the subject at hand. We’re home and available most days except this Friday, August 13 (Yipes!). The next few weeks after that will be sketchy until certain people tell me when I need to visit their fine facility for the next few months. It’ll be Monday through Friday and will be only a brief visit each day, but I don’t know at what time of the day that will be (morning, afternoon) until “they” specify the hour. Nothing that can’t fit into a schedule.

So…what d’ya think? If there’s a personal message spot where I can reveal all the personal data of my life, then let me know. Hell, I don’t know why I worry. I already get more junk mail and phone calls without revealing anything. Or you can just send it to you-know-who at aol.

Am I nutz or what? Hmm, now there’s a good handle: MI Nutz.

OK

Joe Rusz said:

Todd, I sifted through all of my new and old and even recently deleted emails, then typed your first and last name into the search box, which sent me back to the “a member has sent you a personal…” response, which when you click on takes you right back here. If there’s a place for a secret passage, then I’m missing it, since I’m of a certain age. Perhaps your announcement went into spam, which is possible, although I do look at what’s in spam before I kill it off. Or maybe you have one of those catchy email handles like a friend of mine, whose address I have to look up every time I want to write to him. Because who remembers catchy names? Anyway, your message is out there in the ether or in someone else’s mailbox where the guy is wondering… Well, you know what people wonder.

OK, with apologies for any miscues and perceived snarkiness on my part, let’s deal with the subject at hand. We’re home and available most days except this Friday, August 13 (Yipes!). The next few weeks after that will be sketchy until certain people tell me when I need to visit their fine facility for the next few months. It’ll be Monday through Friday and will be only a brief visit each day, but I don’t know at what time of the day that will be (morning, afternoon) until “they” specify the hour. Nothing that can’t fit into a schedule.

So…what d’ya think? If there’s a personal message spot where I can reveal all the personal data of my life, then let me know. Hell, I don’t know why I worry. I already get more junk mail and phone calls without revealing anything. Or you can just send it to you-know-who at aol.

Am I nutz or what? Hmm, now there’s a good handle: MI Nutz.

OK

A screenshot from my outbox. I clipped part of your email for security. I didn’t forget about you.

Aww, you shouldn’t have…

I don’t know where your message went but as I wrote yes-ta-day, I couldn’t find it and wouldn’t have deleted it. I even went to my website, joerusz.com, which has ben dormant because of my laziness. But nada, in the “Contact Us” column which nobody ever uses. Anyway, to quote that hackneyed phrase, “It is what it is.”

Onward. Or as the locals say in Hawaii, “An den?”