Large Scale Central

Another new toy

This showed up yesterday afternoon. Should be a good upgrade from my Chiron. I’m particularly enamored of the warning on the top of the box.

1 Like

Gotta love those warning label translations…

I especially love “Don’t Fall Not Pressure”

Many years ago, I bought a computer motherboard at one of the computer shows, and the box said “Top side up, not plummet please”

My fave is probably the bucket baby warning. There’s even a t-shirt for that.

A frequent puzzler for me is this sign on my laser:

But hey, congrats on your new toy, Bob!!

Cliff

(trying not to be responsible for the thread drift that’s already apparently underway, haha!)

Hah. Thanks, Cliff. This one is a serious upgrade from the Chiron. Same build volume, but much faster. Theoretically, it can go up to 500mm/s, but reading it looks like ~300 is the sweet spot for this. MUCH faster than the 60mm/s I have to deal with now.

1 Like

It’s not just the Chinese! :innocent:

I loved this sign that I saw in Quebec (more than a few years ago - 2012?):

And this one was from Yellowstone in 1973…

The last two are from Viginia…

1 Like

You must have been a good boy this year, Santa was pleased :smiley:. Look forward to seeing it in action. What’s the build volume on this printer?

…I have a friend who had to make sure no one had died in the house he was about to purchase… I told him that real estate agents are on top of this…

420x420x480mm. Slightly larger than my Chiron at 400x400x450mm.

1 Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWLpvekby0

Bob, if you want to get excited and depressed at the same time have a look at Thomas Sanladerer build of a clone… or just skip to the end where he reveals the cost.

Californians have embraced fine print!

Wow, that’s a large build volume :smiley:. Interested to see how it performs printing large objects. I’ve considered getting a bigger FDM printer but I’ve just not convinced myself I “need” one :wink:. I’ve got a new toy on the way, but I’ll reveal it in a new thread in a few days.

1 Like

What’s the plan for the old one? :thinking:

I still need to figure out how to find space for one of these and a CNC router…

Neat!

What are you planning to print? (please don’t trample it!)

I will probably sell it. If someone on here is local and wants it, shoot me a message.

Same as the other printer, windows, doors, and other building pieces, and also rolling stock and locomotive bits.

Craig,

Clearly there are quite a few who know a lot more about 3d printing than me on the LSC, however I thought I might share some thought as I was the first person I knew living in my area that got one after seeing one at Aldi supermarkets.

If you’re getting ready to jump into this there are couple of things to consider when purchasing a printer.

1. Tech Support. Do you have a friend who prints and is close by and is happy to help you trouble shoot an issue? I was the only one of my friends who had one, so was very happy that I could get free tech support 24/7 especially as my first week was quite frustrating. I might have given the whole thing up within a month, but any time tech support even had me email my model and the troubleshot some manifold issues and could critique my printing style.
  2. Do you like to know how things work and are you happy to take a machine apart? If so, look at kits. Not only do you save money, but because you put it together, you know you can take it apart.
  3. Are you a hacker or someone who likes to modify stuff? Consider getting a printer that is open source. You can pimp your printer with upgrades from GitHub etc.
  4. Is your printer purchase for making precise parts? Consider jumping to a resin printer. Amazing results but many more steps. That’s all the advice I have so far as it is a bigger jump and consumables are more expensive.
  5. Are you buying the printer to create objects that will be outside.? Many of these outdoor plastics have a propensity to warp even during printing due to their higher melting points. So they print better in a warm environment and you may want to buy or build an enclosure. Some printer manufacturers know this and put in better heat resistant electronics. For the enclosure I am building, I need to put the electronics outside the box.

So that is my advice for a new buyer.

Here’s a video you may find helpful in deciding what you may and may not need.

Prusa Mk4 propaganda video

2 Likes

I have my hands on a small “old” 2k resin printer and have found myself in need to a FDM printer at times. I just haven’t pulled the plug yet on purchasing one yet. I’ve seen a few listed on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. I just don’t have the space at the moment for a dedicated space for a FDM printer or CNC router both of witch are on my wish list.

1 Like

Craig,

I’ve been impressed at details I’m getting with FDM right now, and it looks good at 10ft. But like the idea of crisp and smooth prints.

Lost resin casting looks like an interesting alternative to importing castings from the USA as shipping is currently stupidly expensive. (e.g. $71 to ship a thumb drive, memory stick)

What advice can you give on getting into 3D resins and printers?

I’ll start out by saying I’m a user not a doer when it comes to 3D printing. However, my son has 4 of them now and has become quite an expert in the field. It also doesn’t hurt that he’s a professional graphic designer. He did a fantastic job of printing many parts for my Cooke Mogul project.
As far as recommending a low priced resin printer, I think he would go with his latest Elegoo Saturn 3 Ultra which sells for around $400. Below is a couple of pictures of his latest, and don’t ask me why, project. An F7 power truck.

4 Likes