Large Scale Central

An impressive indoor large scale layout

layout

I visited this professionally-built indoor layout several years ago. A real beauty and the way large scale should be done, at least for me.

So far not impressed… no link and no name, press submit once?

Joe Rusz said:

I visited this professionally-built indoor layout several years ago. A real beauty and the way large scale should be done, at least for me.

Looks like Tom Miller’s big layout. There;s a whole bunch of Youtube videos of it.

Pete, I just quoted Joe’s post below… I don’t see any links in his post, even when looking at the source code. Do you see something?

Joe Rusz said:

Gee, I wish I had a spare warehouse :wink:

Vic Smith said:

Why, so you could put 500 pizza layouts in it? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Guys, I don’t know what’s with the “links,” unless my photo did not display, which will be a first for me as I’m usually the person who gets the empty photo box with a little X or something in it.

At this time, I haven’t put up any other photos, which are mostly details because I want to ask the builder if there’s any problem posting said pix. I don’t know why, as I did not sneak into the place and there were two other model railroaders there at the time. Plus the owner used to stage charity events there since, in addition to the large scale layout, there was also a Christmas-themed Lionel layout located in the same ante room as a full-size caboose. I was skitish about publicizing this layout because it wasn’t really open to the public, except for the benefit events the owner staged there. Surprisingly, many folks who live in the area didn’t/don’t know about it and I have even asked some of our guys who live around there. BTW, it is not Tom Miller’s layout, although it’s a close second in size and possibly detail.

In my post I wrote that it was my idea of what large scale (or any scale) layout should be because I still think that if you choose to build a model railroad, as opposed to a garden railroad, the devil is in the details. You can’t replicate things like trees, rivers, etc in miniature in real life, because, for one thing, the scale is all wrong. But that’s just the rivet counter in me so please don’t “unfriend” me for my views. In fact, if I ever follow through with my plans to finally build my railroad, it will be outdoors. BTW take two: among our regulars there are a handful whose outdoor railroads totally look like the real thing.

Photo did not display, and I quoted your original post to prove there was nothing in it.

There seems to be some picture site that only members of that site can see… to help understand, where is the picture that you posted?

can you just post the links so it shows up in the post?

Thanks, Greg

Gee Greg, the picture is visible here, for me.

It looks impressive, but there is something organic about playing outside in real dirt, with real plants and real weather to contend with. I like playing outside.

I see it, Maybe Greg needs glasses?(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

David, I too like to play in the dirt. And I will. But when you have a lot of nearly fine-scale structures and such and live in an intemperate climate, which these days, is almost everywhere, what are ya gonna do with them buildings at the end of the day? Layouts that are pretty heavy duty like Ray Dunakin’s and Bob Treat’s in San Diego, and Richard Smith’s in Oregon, to name a few, have structures that can withstand the elements. But even a guy like Jack Verducci up in San Fran, brings some of his stuff indoors and he lives in a pretty benign climate (fog don’t hurt nuthin’). All except two of my structures are styrene and could probably survive our mild coastal climate, but they’re so purty I’d hate to leave 'em outdoors for critters and such to mess with.

David, by re-posting my photo, I assume Greg got to see it, right?

Vic, well, this wasn’t just a “spare warehouse,” it was a dedicated building near the guy’s house, and formerly housed his muscle car and Vette (I think) collection, which he sold off, mostly. The builder, who is a Left Coaster, racked up a lot of frequent flyer miles jetting back & forth across country to work on this thing–at $75 an hour. BTW, this photo cuts off about a third of the layout as visible in the upper right.

Joe I dunno if Greg saw it or not. I saw it on the first post.

My buildings tend to lack fine details, and they suffer, so I see your point. I do not have a place to bring them inside to. The barn filled up with stuff before the first summer it was there was over.

But, I don’t see the fun in paying someone else to build a railroad for me. Building is what I enjoy, watching the trains run is just the icing on the cake for me. Of course, other folks have different opinions.

Vic Smith said:

I was going to say that I would be scared to see you let loose with that much space but then i read Bruce’s response and went yep… 500 pizzas would be about right.

I would hate to see you build a giant indoor layout only to tear it apart and start over next year.

Indoor layouts have their merits. Some day I may have to give up the great outdoors. When that happens, and I build my indoor large scale empire, I will be able to play with my trains 24/7, 365. I may take the 366th day off in those years however.

OK, found out why I did not see the pictures, there seems to be some malware/spyware associated with the site the pictures are on, and it is blocked by Ghostery.

The offending adware/spyware is Viglink from viglink.com.

Viglink is a tracker, which sets you up for tracked ads.

Ghostery blocks all adware and viglink is one of them.

It would be nice to post pictures that do not require exposing ourselves to more ads and spam email.

I took my shields down long enough to see the picture. Very nice.

But my shields are back up… and I really recommend people to do the same, shield yourself from adware / malware / trackers, it’s just getting more invasive, and for anyone who has had their security compromised, it’s not fun.

So, Ghostery stays on, and VigLink photos will remain invisible.

(you really should be able to get a link to the photo without going through VigLink)

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

OK, found out why I did not see the pictures, there seems to be some malware/spyware associated with the site the pictures are on, and it is blocked by Ghostery.

The offending adware/spyware is Viglink from viglink.com.

Viglink is a tracker, which sets you up for tracked ads.

Ghostery blocks all adware and viglink is one of them.

It would be nice to post pictures that do not require exposing ourselves to more ads and spam email.

I took my shields down long enough to see the picture. Very nice.

But my shields are back up… and I really recommend people to do the same, shield yourself from adware / malware / trackers, it’s just getting more invasive, and for anyone who has had their security compromised, it’s not fun.

So, Ghostery stays on, and VigLink photos will remain invisible.

(you really should be able to get a link to the photo without going through VigLink)

Greg

Greg,

Wasn’t Viglink a problem over on MLS when it first changed owners a couple of years ago? There was some kind of a direct link from the new owners site to Viglink. The name sounds familiar to me. Just askin’.

Viglink can be a big problem when a site owner doesnt do any configuration for it. It’ll hijack just about every link in an effort to produce monetized links.

Yeah, I would rather block it and suffer missing a few pictures.

Bob, perhaps you can look at the link that the first post has and advise, perhaps it’s just how he made the link, or perhaps it’s something that cannot be avoided. Clearly you understand it better than I.

I’m glad I finally know why many of Joe’s posts have pictures I cannot see.

Regards, Greg

p.s. just for reference I detect these 4 things on this page:

1. AddThis

2. Google Adsense

3. OpenX

4. VigLink

Greg,

I get the four you mentioned plus Google Analytics

Geez, guys! It’s all you IT guys and internet savvy folks who freak out the rest of the “ignonrant” populace. First (and foremost), you speak your own language, which people who are not techies, don’t understand. Then you throw around names of all these programs that (according to y’all), a person would be a fool not to have installed. Because I don’t–since I never even heard of them–I look like the guilty party for posting a photo.

Here’s what I did. I sent it to Freight Sheds, then dragged it over by whatever means worked (“copy,” whatever) so that it popped up in my post. When it did, I wrote my message, since in the past, I have written long messages, then tried to post a photo, only to have the whole thing fail. So no more fancy prose until the photo goes up.

If any malware, spyware, underwear or anything else nasty got dragged in, I apologize.