Large Scale Central

An Alco followed me home

Been transitioning from Euro narrow gauge to USA and trying to stick with LGB equipment. The shop I deal with, and the one I hooked Paul up with his Bachmann K27, got in a 2155s White Pass in good used condition. So I swapped all my LGB Euro stuff that was left for it. Just got home a little bit ago, so here is an “in the box still” picture.

Gee Mike. I am glad I am not the only one who has stuff like that follow him home.

nope, tends to happen from time to time!

One of the reasons to go to a train show is to find something you did not know you needed!!

One of the reasons to go to a train show is to find something you did not know you needed!!

Mike, that is your story and you are going to stick to it! I don’t that, i just buy it and carry it into the Train Room.

Paul

E. Paul Austin said:

Mike, that is your story and you are going to stick to it! I don’t that, i just buy it and carry it into the Train Room.

Paul

Paul,

The first round-robin group I belonged to (mid 70s) had several members who had largish collections of brass. Which they brought home in the neutral, brown paper bags from the LCBO (Liquor Control Board) to be stashed in one of many drawers.
No there were no LSers back then.

One of the older hobby shops I stop at once and awhile always asks if you need the brown paper camo to get the item into the house. The Alco has been joined by a beater LGB 2018d early Mogul that needs lots of TLC.

Dan Pierce said:

And that there is the main reason I have been avoiding train shows. But I also need to start avoiding online auctions now too. And why are there 3 new boxcars in the workshop?

Last train show I went to, 4 new csx bethgons followed me home. I would have been in the clear, but my daughter ratted me out. lol.

Good for you Mike !! How about a pic of the diesel OOB?

I remember when my buddy Charlie rode his 998 Ducati Superbike to the local dealer. He saw the brand new 999 and had to have it. He test rode it, signed the papers and got the same decal/graphics kit.

He rode the bike home and the wife never even knew it was new! LOL. So take your trains, hide them and sneak them in when she’s not around!

That’s what I do. Once stuff has been in the storage shed, and run a few times I am not lying when I tell her that “oh, I have had that one for a while.”

:slight_smile:

LOL, I have done that David. Anymore new trains blend into the old. I yanked the white pass off ebay, with our tightening finances, SWMBO informed me to hang on to what I have as it may be awhile before I can buy anything. So, here is a pic of the Alco DL535e. Mike

Mike, now its about time that I weed out the ones I don’t run and sell or trade them for stuff I will run. I have 4 LGB hoppers that will be on that list.

I love the WP Alcos (heck most Alcos, I am an Alcohaulic). Wish though that the LGB one fit more into the 1:20.3 stuff that I have.

I have been slowly getting rid of the last of the non 1:20.3 stuff and down to just the LGB Genesis Phase V and attendant two coach, cafe car. Just have been reluctant to get them off the display shelf.

My friend has that Amtrak engine, but he needs the train for it to pull. Kind of hard to find those cars. Last ones I found the owner wouldnt sell them without the 3 Genesis engines he was also selling. I am going to get a micro toggle switch installed to turn off the speaker since LGB didnt put a method to shut off the sound. Indoors the drone, even at the lowest setting, gets very annoying on our small overhead loop. That big Alco handles R1 curves better than my 2018 or 2119 moguls do. I got rid of the bumblebee, traded it towards this Alco. Kept the 2018 that I got dirt cheap off ebay, needs the missing domes on the boiler replaced still, but it looks good with its Christmas colors. What road name on those hoppers Dave? Any White Pass ones? Mike

lorna dane said:

I love the WP Alcos (heck most Alcos, I am an Alcohaulic). Wish though that the LGB one fit more into the 1:20.3 stuff that I have.

I have been slowly getting rid of the last of the non 1:20.3 stuff and down to just the LGB Genesis Phase V and attendant two coach, cafe car. Just have been reluctant to get them off the display shelf.

Anytime you are interested in building that Aclo in 1:20.3, give me a holler. I have ALL the shop drawings in that scale, done for me by a fine gentleman who is the WP archivist in Skagway AK.

You might reconsider, though when I tell you that in 1:20.3 scale, that baby is over 28 inches long, and looks like an apartment block on twelve wheels…

tac

I was gonna type that I read someone say that Alco would be huge in 1:20.3 scale! Heck, its big in LGB’s scale. Mike

That’s a nice engine, Mike. The last time I was in Skagway, 2 years ago I was able to get inside the cab of one of WP&Y Alco diesels. Engineer gave me the golden tour. Was impressed with it.

Ed Headington

Its an ALCo, if you feed it oil, it will follow you home. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice find, that’s one of those engine you can use to do everything.