Large Scale Central

An Alco followed me home

tac Foley said:

lorna dane said:

I love the WP Alcos (heck most Alcos, I am an Alcohaulic). Wish though that the LGB one fit more into the 1:20.3 stuff that I have.

I have been slowly getting rid of the last of the non 1:20.3 stuff and down to just the LGB Genesis Phase V and attendant two coach, cafe car. Just have been reluctant to get them off the display shelf.

Anytime you are interested in building that Aclo in 1:20.3, give me a holler. I have ALL the shop drawings in that scale, done for me by a fine gentleman who is the WP archivist in Skagway AK.

You might reconsider, though when I tell you that in 1:20.3 scale, that baby is over 28 inches long, and looks like an apartment block on twelve wheels…

tac

I figured it would be good size just from the pics of the real thing on the trains. Thanks for the offer. Not sure if and when I might even think about something like that.

Mike Toney said:

My friend has that Amtrak engine, but he needs the train for it to pull. Kind of hard to find those cars. Last ones I found the owner wouldnt sell them without the 3 Genesis engines he was also selling. I am going to get a micro toggle switch installed to turn off the speaker since LGB didnt put a method to shut off the sound. Indoors the drone, even at the lowest setting, gets very annoying on our small overhead loop. That big Alco handles R1 curves better than my 2018 or 2119 moguls do. I got rid of the bumblebee, traded it towards this Alco. Kept the 2018 that I got dirt cheap off ebay, needs the missing domes on the boiler replaced still, but it looks good with its Christmas colors. What road name on those hoppers Dave? Any White Pass ones? Mike

No Mike, three are Reading, and one is Peabody.

Those LGB White Pass and Rio Grande engine have always intrigued me. They say they are an Alco, but do they look anything near a prototype? Can somebody post an example?

There are a couple nice videos on youtube of them running. Even the early digital sound in my 2155s is spot on to the 6 cylinder 251 prime mover they have. Only thing LGB did was use their normal rubber ruler so they can get around R1 curves. The Alcos handle R1 better than the moguls do. The White Pass and Colorado and Southern have to be the best and most complete lineup from LGB for USA prototypes. Even post Lehmann era both road names get new or reissue items from Marklin/LGB. Many so wish LGB had followed up this engine with the wide cab version or the shovel nose GE diesels. Mike