Large Scale Central

AC44C6M Project

This project is progressing nicely, and I think it’s time to start sharing. :slight_smile:

Shane

3 Likes

As always it’s looking awesome!!!

Shane, it looks great.

For those of us dieselly impaired, would you mind showing us a before shot and/or tell us how you did what you did, in your after shots?

Bill zoom in on first picture , I’m guessing he scratch built the gray area to confirm to the newer model locomotives and rebuilt the radiator housings on the back too

wow

i know i ask for alot but a video would be really helpful as i have a similar DASH 9 in pieces on my workbench

Hmmm I’m not seeing the green tape… He bought it :kissing_closed_eyes:

Thanks Pete.

John, I’ll try to get part 1 posted this week. :slight_smile:

Sean, the temp numbers on the cab are green tape. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bill, I’ll probably get some hate for this, but this started as an SP Dash 9. Cab was rebuilt, detail added to front, reflective tape added, environmental retention tank added to fuel tank, rear rads modified, and front AC boxes scratch built. I still need to move the venting and modify some doors on the grey section.

3 Likes

John, I got part 1 posted this morning.

I’ve started to cut up the front section. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Shane I’ve never seen you post what you use to make your cuts. Would you mind revealing your method? :sunglasses: :+1:

Quit being so nosy you old goat and enjoy the work put into the project!

Environmental retention tank is new one to me …Is this a waste tank or oil reclamation?

David, I just carefully use a razor saw. I either follow molded lines, or use a straight edge to score a line with a knife to follow. It’s a pretty slow process as I mainly run the tip across the line over and over until I break through the shell.

Rooster, anything that drains from the sump, which would be mainly oil. CN started using them with the SD50f’s. The GM’s have them mounted on the rear of the fuel tanks. I’m not sure if it’s just a CN thing, or if other railroads are doing the same.

Shane

Thanks for the reply Shane. Having used the same method many times, I was just seeing if you had devised a better process with the many shells you have altered. I always hated the corners as they never wanted to cut straight down with out the extra fiddling. The aluminum shells on the Aristo passenger cars were the hateful cuts when I had to remove a center section of the bodies

Shane,
Pretty sure were on the same page. Just a terminology I have never heard. She is a monster loco!

BTW, I’m about 20 minutes from Rockville if you ever decide to visit Pennsyltucky. :laughing:

David, yes keeping the cuts square can be a challenge. :open_mouth:

Rooster, that’s a great shot of the original following the rebuild. :slight_smile:

Today I completed the conductor’s side of the front section. I’m hoping I can have the other side done tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue:

Shane

2 Likes

1 Like

Today I completed the front engineer’s side, and got all of the handrails painted. I got everything put in place for some photos. Nothing is screwed down yet, and the handrails aren’t fully in place.

I beat the snow. :smiley:

Now this winter I’ll have to work on the electrical, and bring it to life.

Shane

3 Likes

Raising Hand …
SO I have a question? (well a couple)

Why did you choose to model 3303 of the 110 CN rebuilds? Did you work/have contact with this locomotive or was it just because it was a random number of the fleet and what happened to 3310 ?

From what I have read and refreshed my memory on JUST recently with this thread… BNSF was the first to rebuild the Dash 9’s and I believe they were Wabtec rebuilds like CN.

NS owns the most AC44C6M but they were rebuilt at their own Juniata Shops.

What scares me the most is the BNSF as they loved to trade with Amtrak back in the day so am I going to want one in the near future so I can model a AC44C6N9LMAO?

Rooster,

This is going to be a university graduation gift for a friend. He chose the unit number. :open_mouth: He’s been sending me photos of the new SD75IACC’s, so I think he’s hinting at something. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, NS and CN finally saw the advantages of AC power after avoiding it for years. It was just starting to show up at CN before I retired. I think I had about a dozen trips with the ES44AC’s.

You want to build one of those scary LMAO units. :crazy_face:

I’ll have to see what I can find out about the 3310.

Shane

2 Likes