Large Scale Central

Abandoned Trackage

I have been looking through some of my old train photos and came across this one that got me thinking. When I first started in large scale I was happy with small trains and tight curves. In phase one I built a tunnel around a 4’ diameter curve on top of my mountain. Small curve BIG mistake. As my interests and railroad grew so did my equipment and the top of the mountain became off limits to the larger stuff since it physically wouldn’t fit. I built a bypass track to avoid it and to keep the trains rolling. This Summer not a single train ventured along this near abandoned track. Does anyone else have abandoned tracks on their layouts?

I used to, but needed the track, so there is just an abandoned roadbed.

Yes A section I call the Silverton Northern is supposed to look like an abandoned line. You can see some of it in the background of these photos:

(http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/184/8/3/mine_train_by_southwestchief-d55vqy3.jpg)

(http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/184/3/d/burro_ridge_mine_overview_by_southwestchief-d55vqg5.jpg)

Link to very large photo 1 Link to very large photo 2 It’s a great way to still “use” old rolling stock and structures

This is my siding to the mine. Once in a while I would store a car here. This spring I needed the turnout so it now has no connection to the main line.

(http://i52.tinypic.com/2povbdv.jpg)

John Bouck said:
I used to, but needed the track, so there is just an abandoned roadbed.
LOL!

Maybe you should turn it into a scale walking/bike path! :smiley:

Nice photos guys. Looks like I’m not the only one with abandoned track. I also have 3 home built ore cars sitting derelict on a siding off this unused route. Kind of a waste to have track and 3 switches just sitting there but I do like the looks of it and there is also the just in case a train needs to head up there. Who knows maybe with the price of gold being what it is a mining operation might start up again someday.
A good idea Mark to turn the old right of way into a bike path. Here on Cape Cod 100+ years ago the train used to go from Boston to Provincetown at the very tip of the Cape. Today alot of the old route is a well used bike path.

Any more stories and photos of old abandoned tracks or failed industries along your RR?? Love to see them.

I can’t afford to leave abandoned track. For me I cut cedar ties and put them in the ground. See the LA&C RR runs a tight ship and will pull rails and switches to be used in other places.
Terry

If you need the tracks, take them all up and (if your tack has removable tie sections) leave a few ties here and there. Instant abandoned line. You’ll likely have to keep the area pruned a bit though so nature doesn’t take over.

On my abandoned line I just graded the area to look like it once had track and then added ties, junk, and a bridge with a track and bents. All are spare parts or unused equipment. The old Pola water tank was once a mainline structure. But when I replaced it with a Piko water tank, the Pola one moved to the abandoned line.

Biggest maintenance is removing pine needles. But I don’t have to do much other work. Not much seems to grow at 8200’ here in the relatively dry Southwestern mountains. And what does is easily removed…unless it is a baby pine tree which I’d never remove.

Matt said:
If you need the tracks, take them all up and (if your tack has removable tie sections) leave a few ties here and there. Instant abandoned line. You'll likely have to keep the area pruned a bit though so nature doesn't take over.

On my abandoned line I just graded the area to look like it once had track and then added ties, junk, and a bridge with a track and bents. All are spare parts or unused equipment. The old Pola water tank was once a mainline structure. But when I replaced it with a Piko water tank, the Pola one moved to the abandoned line.

Biggest maintenance is removing pine needles. But I don’t have to do much other work. Not much seems to grow at 8200’ here in the relatively dry Southwestern mountains. And what does is easily removed…unless it is a baby pine tree which I’d never remove.

Hey Matt . . I like your railroad ! Really nice among those giant pines at 8,000 plus feet. :slight_smile:

Narrow Gauge Lover said:
Hey Matt . . I like your railroad ! Really nice among those giant pines at 8,000 plus feet. :)
Thanks

Agreeing with N.G.L.; it’s very picturesque, Matt.

I feel the same as you about pine trees, BTW - I just love 'em!

John Le Forestier said:
Agreeing with N.G.L.; it’s very picturesque, Matt. I feel the same as you about pine trees, BTW - I just love 'em!

What do you think about pine needles, John? :stuck_out_tongue: Just imagine this mess all over your track. :frowning:

(http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/184/8/3/mine_train_by_southwestchief-d55vqy3.jpg)

Ugg pine needles. Here is a pic showing the clean up piles of pine needles and fallen branches that fall on the layout in about one season:

(http://i.imgur.com/YcQNNRO.jpg)

You’ll need to invent an automatic pine needle remover Matt. :):wink:

Strong back and spring steel rake

Raking doesn’t work too well. It disrupts the natural look of the underlying ground and can’t pick up the really small broken needles and pine cone seeds.

The best pine needle remover I’ve found after many years of doing battle with them are my hands. Gloves can help from getting pinched, but they sometimes get in the way.

When I reopen the layout after the long winter shut down is the worst when it comes to removing needles. For this, I usually sit on the ground in one spot and fill up a home depot bucket with pine needles. When it’s filled I dump it and move to another spot.

The needles are just a part of having an outdoor layout in the woods. I shouldn’t complain though as the setting is a beautiful place to play with trains.

Matt said:
The needles are just a part of having an outdoor layout in the woods. I shouldn't complain though as the setting is a beautiful place to play with trains.
It certainly is a beautiful spot to play in. A lot of my layout is under short needle conifers. I use rakes, brooms and leaf blowers to do battle with them. It's been suggested by some on this forum that I cut them down. No way! When its 80 and sunny they provide a nice cool spot to run trains.

I agree, we get temps of over 100F on occasion in the summer. It’s nice to have the shade of the Ponderosa Pines in the heat of the afternoon. Although in the spring I am cursing them after 3 pick-up loads to the dump.

Most of my layout is under pine and oak trees and the resulting leaf and needle litter is a mess but worth it for the shade in the Summer. There has been times in the Fall when a train is making its rounds then after about 7 minutes it is back and gets derailed by a leaf that has fallen on the once cleared track. I use a leaf blower before running in the Fall and always run my wedge plow to push aside twigs, leaves and pine cones. If not too many leaves I will run a hopper train and move leaves down back with the train. That usually gets tedious after 2 goes though.
You do have a nice setting Matt

MAn I have a Holly Tree right in the middle of my loop, the ‘leaves’ sre like leather, try picking one of those prickly suckers outta a turnout with barehands…and don’t get down on yer hands and knees to work on something with shorts on!