Large Scale Central

A scale speed and distance car

I finally converted my old flatcar into a scale speed and distance car. I bought a cheap bicycle computer at Wal-Mart and created a swivel mount to hold it - this allows me to look at the speed and distance from either side of the car.

Once mounted, it’s pretty easy to calibrate - there was already a setting for 26" wheels available. I used a magnet that I got from Russ at TapPlastics - it’s very small and incredibly strong. It’s pretty neat watching my Shay move at 4 mph. I also found out it’s .626 of a scale mile around my loop.[:D]

Some additional details… Basically, the bicycle speedometer consists of: - a unit containing the battery and the display. - a sensor that is typically mounted on the front wheel mount. A LONG wire connects this sensor to the computer. (I ended up cutting the wire as it was WAY too long.) - magnet that attaches to the spokes, and triggers the sensor each time the wheel rotates When you setup a bicycle computer, you have to “tell” it how big your wheel is. There’s a table of values for about 8 or 10 common wheel diameters - and you enter this into the computer. There’s also a mathematical formula you can use for other diameters. Well, in this case, I’m using 26" scale wheels from Sierra Valley, so I entered the value for 26" diameter wheels into the computer. I mounted the sensor between the wheels. I didn’t use the supplied magnet as it was too large. Russ had sent me some really tiny and really powerful magnets - about 1/4" diameter and I attached it to the back of the wheel.

So, every time the wheel rotates, it triggers the sensor. The computer thinks it is measuring a 26" wheel - so everything is already scaled. That magnet is REALLY strong. It kept picking up screws and washers off my workbench.

Cool! Very clever. I may do that myself someday.

I would encourage everyone to give this a try. First of all, it’s cheap! I think that cyclometer was about $9. And, it’s really neat to have an idea of how fast your trains are going.

My initial mount did not swivel and I could see that being a bit awkward to view.

I did have to file down some of the plastic from the sensor to get it to fit between the wheels - especially once the magnet was stuck there. You don’t have to cut the cable, but it’s nice not to have to hide a few feet. It was pretty easy to resolder it into the mount.

Bruce:
GREAT IDEA, first thing in the AM I am out to find the nearest cycle shop.
THANK YOU Nick Jr

I guess this will be your next article for Garden Railways Mag. Sheesh…you on their payroll yet?..:wink:

Ken, you need to help me; they just keep paying me. All I have to do is put some words to paper and a check is in the mail. :wink:

Another article in the next issue…and maybe one after that! Help!!!

But…I don’t think I’ll write this one up. Not much to say…other than DO IT!

Bruce Chandler said:
Ken, you need to help me; they just keep paying me. All I have to do is put some words to paper and a check is in the mail. ;)

Another article in the next issue…and maybe one after that! Help!!!

But…I don’t think I’ll write this one up. Not much to say…other than DO IT!

Sure I’ll help…just send the check to me…I’ll help ya spend it…:wink:

Bruce Chandler said:
But...I don't think I'll write this one up. Not much to say...other than DO IT!
NO Sir, I think you should try to send this one in.....I enjoy all of your articles!

It make us peasants feel special when we know someone writing in our fav monthly rag…

go get to email’in!

cale

I like thais and it answers my question about scale speed vs. prototypical velocity.

I love Wallace and Gromit!

Great idea!

I’m doing this for sure. Always wanted to know how long our layout is and how fast our trains are going.

Does your computer measure calories burned as well? Gotta get those trains on a diet :wink:

For some reason, the old speedometer stopped functioning. The display still worked, but it wouldn’t detect any rotations. I fiddled around with it for some time, but could not get it to work.

So, time for a new one!

I got a CatEye - and it’s a lot easier to remember how to do things, as there is only one button. Hold it in for 2 seconds and everything resets to zero. Push it in momentarily to get the next function.

Darn, that’s neat. Bruce C.
I just happen to remember I have one on my Bike. Can you cal. it to 33 inch wheel?
I got to dig out my instructions I have some where.

Yes, you can typically calibrate these to any wheel size - which makes it a very cool way to measure your own RR.

Great idea, Bruce. Now maybe some people will run their trains at protoypical speeds rather than at speeds verging on supersonic.

Joe Rusz said:

Great idea, Bruce. Now maybe some people will run their trains at protoypical speeds rather than at speeds verging on supersonic.

OMG. That statement is going to upset a certain member forum god here. He thinks you shouldn’t tell folks how to run their trains. Don’t ask me how I know.

:-p

Actually, Joseph, I have shown remarkable restraint in not telling people what I really think, so once in a while, sumthin’ slips through the correctness filter. Maybe if we just keep talkin’ like nothing happened…