Large Scale Central

A new locomotive and wagon in kit

Hello everybody!

Some time ago I have not had the chance to post anything new.
But I have not left the hobby at all.
I’m involved in a very interesting project with a European manufacturer of kits of locomotives, wagons, trams and railway equipment in large scale.
For this reason, I am writing to all of you, intending to launch a locomotive and some wagon, only for the U.S. market, I would like that this material was a project with the help of you all. To which, if you are available, you would have to simply respond to this post, with the locomotive model you would want to have in kit, and in that scale.
Of course, the wagon which you wish it was the “perfect companion” for that locomotive.
I thank you in advance thank you all, and of course, answer any questions as you want to make.
Best regards

4 wheeled Class A vertical boiler Climax would be neat. Pulling a few log disconnects and a nice logging caboose.

(http://www.gearedsteam.com/climax/images/ark-trvlr-willamette.jpg)

Shawn,
Do you want it to run on log rails, or steel rails? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Log rails would be cool. But prob make more sence to have it run on steel. Better yet make it so you can switch from steel to log. Also have it be battery powered.

That would be cool :slight_smile:

Well, let’s look at the baby Climax idea realistically: Pros: it’s cute. Small so everybody could run one. Probably easy/inexpensive to produce. There is a catalog cut of the engine for reference. Cons: (Working from memory) Climax only ever built 4 of them - so they weren’t well known, and of those only (fuzzy) photos of the Arkansas Traveller and Gold Bug are online. None are extant to get measurements from, nor are there (to my knowledge) any factory drawings of these left. There isn’t a lot of visible ‘monkey motion’- even if you made the engine ‘operable’ - to draw the eye, so they’re kind of like running a (steam powered) boxcab. Will the cute factor outweigh the lack of recognizability/real life examples? Kim really loves mine. But we get a lot of “what is it?” when we run it at shows. Oh, and in case folks haven’t seen it, this is the first “Gold Bug” she was a 7 ton, there was a second, larger 8 wheel Gold Bug as well, built for the same owner less than a year later… Either they liked the name or the first was less than successful

(http://www.climaxlocomotives.com/history/img/19.jpg)

Another “pro” might just be that since so many folks like the one off Rio Grande “bumble bee” scheme, Gold Bug was yellow too… with red & gold (I think) lettering and trim. (The “Arkansas Traveller” was probably green.)

Xavier,
if the company is Artesania, then they need an entirely new drive mechanism before even thinking about the American market. Artesania make beautiful kits, but the medium used (wood/plywood) would not find general ‘mass appeal’ for many American railroaders who generally prefer ‘ready to run’.

Tim Brien said:
Xavier, if the company is Artesania, then they need an entirely new drive mechanism before even thinking about the American market. Artesania make beautiful kits, but the medium used (wood/plywood) would not find general 'mass appeal' for many American railroaders who generally prefer 'ready to run'.
Tim, He specifically said it would be a kit, so the ready-to-run crowd will have to do without!

Quote:
To which, if you are available, you would have to simply respond to this post, with the locomotive model you would want to have in kit, and in that scale

Xavier, There are three large ‘scale’ groups around here: F scale (live steam and electric); 1/29th scale electrics, and 1/32nd scale mostly live steam. There are others, but those are the ones with the most fans. The F scale guys are perhaps more likely to appreciate a kit - in 1/29th they are busy running long mainline trains with diesels up front. The live steamers are a picky bunch who are used to expensive stuff. An F scale kit will appeal to modellers in that scale, plus it may be acceptable to the 1/22.5 and 1/24th crowd who have some very attractive garden railways. If you could model a 2’ gauge prototype, then it could be modelled as 3’ gauge and/or be acceptable to the UK SM32 guys? While I like Shawn’s 4-wheel Climax, I agree with Mik that it isn’t the most well-known or most attractive option. Though, despite Mik’s claim it has no ‘motion’, the working parts are all visible inside the frame on the vertical engine. So let’s see if we can come up with something that (a) hasn’t been done recently and (b) might be attractive to a few people if the price was right. 1. there are some neat 2’ gauge Shays that operated on the Gilpin tramway in California. An SM32 model convertible to 3’ gauge might work. Shay’s first engne, named ‘Baby’ is a possibility.

(http://www.gilpintram.com/images/Shay%202-01m.jpg)

1. Mal Ferrell and David Fletcher have been running s series of articles in Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette on the D&RGW 0-6-0ST yard switchers. They are small locos suitable for small gardens, plus they were seen on the East Broad Top also. (The switcher in the following pic is similar but an 0-4-0.)

(http://www.steamlocomotive.com/colorado/rgs20std1.jpg)

1. I love the look of Lehigh Valley Inspection Engine #300. It was std gauge, but one could make a 3’ gauge F scale version, or a 1/24th version hybrid.

(http://www.lvrr.com/wp-content/gallery/LV%20Steam%20Engines/LV-1-Kingston-Pa.jpg)

1. There’s often-mentioned demand for a high-steppin’ (large driving wheel) 4-4-0 from the early days of american railroading. In 1/29th it could be attractive, as there are several coaches available for it. You could do some old-time freight cars to go along.

(http://www.lvrr.com/wp-content/gallery/LV%20Steam%20Engines/LV-Delaware.jpg)

I have to go and do the Xmas thing, but I will think some more and post some more ideas later.

Some things to think about. We 'Murikanz are a laz… err instant gratification bunch. While an artisan type kit (ala the laser Banta cab conversions, or the Ozark Climax) would appeal to a small niche (of those having inclination, ability AND some fairly serious money to pay for it), they probably won’t fly off the shelves.
A plastic kit (along the lines of the Hartland mini cars, or maybe a bit more detailed, but still able to be assembled by those with a moderate skill level) might give you a wider audience. But since it’s P-L-A-S-T-I-C folks will also expect it to cost less… go figure

The LS hobby in America is fragmented into nearly half a dozen scales. Which SHOULD mean something adaptively generic would be a good thing… except we’re also the pickiest bloody beggers on the planet. We want what we WANT, and not much else. If you ask 100 guys what that is, you’ll get at least 50 answers, and a lot of squabbling if you tried to get them come to any sort of consensus. It’s often much easier to go the route of making something YOU like and either folks will buy it or not…

And BTW we also want it as lowest priced as possible. (as opposed to “cheap” quality wise… we want good stuff, we’re often just generally disinclined to actually pay for it) And we will ALWAYS complain about the price, even when it’s reasonable. B#tching (not baseball) is our national pasttime.

At any rate the adage of “the only way to make a small fortune in the hobby business… is to start with a large one.” has a lot of truth in it. If you’re going to make something, then do it because YOU are passionate about it, that way IF you make money doing so, it’s a bonus. And lastly, gambling with the groceries is always a real bad idea. Make darn sure that if whatever you plan flops, you won’t lose everything.

Other than that, have fun!

Pete Thornton said:
He specifically said it would be a kit, so the ready-to-run crowd will have to do without!
Xavier didn't say anything at all about it running ;) It may be a static model. Ralph

If it’s to be a kit that can be made to run, I’d like to see a shrouded Hudson of either Santa Fe or New York Central style. Perhaps a kit of the basics, then add on parts kits to make it one or the other.

Oh, it should be 1:32 scale, unless the 1:29 guys jump on the bandwagon.

Since we are talking about scales – I’m running 1/24 and building most everything. And I know I’m not alone!

Shawn said:
4 wheeled Class A vertical boiler Climax would be neat. Pulling a few log disconnects and a nice logging caboose.

(http://www.gearedsteam.com/climax/images/ark-trvlr-willamette.jpg)

I think Shawn has a great suggestion here. The reason I like this one… 1) If it’s to be a kit then the “general ready to run crowd” wouldn’t be very interested to begin with. Thus it would be directed at the builders in the hobby. A Climax like this should have pretty wide appeal to the narrow gauge and logging modelers. 2) Being a small prototype it could represent more than one scale quite easily. For example if it were 1:20 it would be very easy to have it represent only a slightly larger prototype in 1:22 or 1:24. I would think that possibly even 1:29 “standard gauge” could be replicated. 3) A wooden superstructure would be easy to cut down from 1:20 to other scales. 4) The idea to provide extra wheels (even as an extra cost option) for operating on a pole road would be a real boon for those wanting something a little different. 5) Providing for battery power conversion is always a good option even if a small trail tender needed to be built to accommodate the batteries. 6) The small size and relative simplicity of the Class A has probably the best chance of having a good price/value ratio as opposed to larger more complicated choices. 7) A very large proportion of logging and/or narrow gauge modelers scratch build or bash. I don’t mean to exclude the mainline train modelers but while there is an ever increasing number of fine mainline builders I think the proportion of builders in logging and narrow gauge is still greater making for a larger potential customer base.

I could easily build mine for the mining railroad. And I agree about the 1:20. I had to rebuild my tunnel but I have two 1:20 engines that now fit.

I actually rebuilt the tunnel twice. I rebuilt it to fit the Shay I bought from Greg and then I got a center cab from Ralph and had to rebuild it again! Glad I only had one tunnel!

I see he’s never posted again. Seems many get discussions going and never come back.

?? He started this thread yesterday, December 24th… surely we aren’t giving him grief because he did not reply on the next day, Christmas?

Nah, he’s got time to open his presents! Just kidding!

Tough crowd ha ha!

THANKS to everybody for your interest. I’m not at home till this evenimg.
I dont like type with the “smartphone”.

Thanks again.