Large Scale Central

A new bridge

A quick weekend build in the continuing experiment in 32mm. Like the switches this could work in 1:20 2ft gauge or 7/8ths 18" gauge. The figure is 1:20…the wheels on the truck are 1"dia. When planting time comes the “baskets on the end get filled with 1/2” crushed rock and the bottom stringers under the trestle bents will be buried as well. Pictures tell the rest.

Nice little bridge. Fr Fred will be pleased with the guardrails.

Good work, Larry.

neat work, Larry… :slight_smile:

Nice bridge. Looks like a quick and easy build. Later RJD

Nice. Fine work, should look good once in place.

Nice bridge Larry, it’s nice to see another person who understands the look with hand spiked rail and guardrails.

Chuck

Thanks guys. Yes indeed Chuck…Ive always liked the look of hand spiked…lots more spikes to do

That looks great Larry.

Looks good…is that cedar or redwood?

Nice neat work Larry. I’ve always liked that type of bridge anchorage. Hmmmm! Wonder where I can fit one in?

At last; someone that appreciates building a proper bridge and finishing it off with proper bridge ties and guard rails…nice job…

It’s all Western Red Cedar…can’t get Redwood here anymore which is too bad because I wood prefer that. Trying to decide if I need to add handrails… it is a small bridge after all

VERY nice job there, Sir! I’d like to be able to put such a bridge on our little track, but I’d need to win the lottery to buy the proper wood. In fact, it might be cheaper to buy a Beckstein baby grand piano and cut it up for strip.

This needs to be a write-up for a well-known LS magazine, IMO.

tac

tac Foley said:
VERY nice job there, Sir! I'd like to be able to put such a bridge on our little track, but I'd need to win the lottery to buy the proper wood. In fact, it might be cheaper to buy a Beckstein baby grand piano and cut it up for strip.

This needs to be a write-up for a well-known LS magazine, IMO.

tac

TAC,

Just get some cheap recycled wood, cut it to size, then soak it in used motor oil for a week or so. Allow it to dry for a couple of weeks or so… Then build your bridge. A friend of mine did that 20 years ago, and the trestle is still in use with no sign of rot.

It’s all in the “want to,” as my Drill Instructor used to say.

tac…Some guys use old cedar fence boards.

I think the trestle bents look a little plan . I would have done something a little different . The Rail work I was amazed , great work on that . How do you set the spikes and do you buy rail seperately and use a gage . I’m new to Gscale and scratch building everything . I have approx 16ft of bridge and trestle work I need to build I started alot of it ,but need 28 hours in a day . I want to be running in a couple of months . So my dad and I can run the rails . I know what I said about the bents, but still impressed .

Larry, very nice bridge. are the short distances between ties prototypical or just your good taste?

mark fuller said:
How do you set the spikes and do you buy rail seperately and use a gage .

the easiest gauge is slipping some plastic ties over the end of the rails and let them wander, as you advance at spiking. (ignore the nails - they were the smallest i could find down here.)

(http://kormsen.info/bridges/bruecke1-7.JPG)

(from here: http://kormsen.info/bridges/ )

Stop being so cheap. If you must hand lay, buy a proper gauge…even the Aristo gauge is good…

Railcraft/Micro Engineering has proper spikes for LS…why go with these nails that look loke hell.