Large Scale Central

A new bridge

Look like hell

It is nice to see a few modellers that appreciate proper bridge ties and guard rails, when they put so much effort into building great trestles and bridges.

The close space ties are prototypical and the bents are simple because the trestle element is not tall.

I’ve used a section of ties for gauging as well and it works fine. But I made my own just using a table saw…not hard to make :slight_smile: I also use Micro Engineering spikes. Get the ones made out of steel so they’ll rust and hold in the wood. Stainless spikes are worse than useless as they work themselves out of the wood. Although some people say that if the point of the spike penetrates the tie that won’t happen.

Fred Mills said:
Stop being so cheap. If you must hand lay, buy a proper gauge....even the Aristo gauge is good....
Why spend money when something on-hand works just fine?

Nice job. But does it need a water barrel?

Just kidding.

Doug Arnold said:
Nice job. But does it need a water barrel?
Several. Full of water. With animated maintenance crew to use them. In case Fr Fred's sundance gets out of hand and solar flares ignite the bridge.

Fr. Fred will be so happy.

I need walkways on a couple trestles but haven’t figured out a retrofit.

I’m going to finish the frame work and cross members on my bridge this weekend will also incorperate a platform “walkway” on both sides along with a hand rail . Will hand paint the creosote then with a garden sprayer soak the trestle bents and rust color the bridge work . I see now and understand your trestle bents for being short . But now I look at it and still think it’s great work . All I have as of now is a table saw but works for me .

regards :mark f MF5117

Animated…I don’t think so;) water barrel…maybe :slight_smile:

Mark, I have a Dremel model saw and a 12-inch table saw with a good fence. I’m using the table saw more for cutting “lumber” for the layout. It makes more sawdust but it sure does a nice job.

Hi Larry
Looks great. Thanks for the pictures…

Mark and Korm

There is a simple solution to placing spikes. Switch Crafters make a tool called a “Spiker”. Several guys on this site have used them and they work great. The tool takes a Micro Engineering medium spike that you can also get from Switch Crafters. Take a look at www.switchcrafters.com.

As Fr. Fred commented on, it’s just as easy to construct a proper scaled looking bridge as it is a toy like one. Spend the extra two minutes to do it right, you’ll be happier in the long run.

Chuck