Large Scale Central

A coach for Bob

Trolley pole?

Pete Lassen said:

Bruce last summer we were in N’Awlins, and rode the old streetcars on the Charleston st line, at the end they kick us off the car while the conductor swaps the seat backs and changes the power whip( whatever its called) to be in the rear position, then we load up and ride back! cool deal!

This video after the 0:12 point shows operator using retriever rope to haul down and secure pole at one end, https://youtu.be/r_S6YFPcqeE

For those who might not know about it, the gong bell looking thing on car end which trolley pole retriever rope is secured to is a spring loaded mechanism which will pull pole down if pole snaps up from having de-wired. The goal is to prevent errant pole from damaging the wire and supporting structure. In old trolley photos there are occasional cars which can be seen to have a bent pole which got that way from at some point coming dewired then being snatched down hard by the retriever.

How does that thing work? If the pole gets too high, it winds it back down?

Sudden springing upwards releases the brake so that a spring under tension retrieves the errant pole.

Trying to stay on topic with the original poster after reading it twice as suggested…Is it done yet?

" Rooster " said:

Trying to stay on topic with the original poster after reading it twice as suggested…Is it done yet?

Well, MINE is done…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Bob’s…not so much…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Looks great! Nice job. Paul

On to the sides…first step is to glue the windows in place, then spray paint the entire inside.

After that dries, I paint the window frames a contrasting color.

Because all of my paints are “flat”, I then put a coat of gloss on top…

Once both sides are done, I’ll be ready to glue them in place. But, first, I need to complete the bar area. I still haven’t made it over to Staples to get a transparency printed…

Ric Golding said:

Doing my normal “catch up”. This looks great! Ready to follow along.

Me too. Late to the party as usual. I remember when you built yours. Looking good!

I would like to build and donate the bar area if allowed or are we following a specific plan ?

Seriously though …“I really need a smaller project/challenge right now” and would like to add a bar module with reclaimed lumber for the coach if possible? Give me the dimensions/parameters and I will ship it to you Bruce. All you will have to do is bolt it in? I got a couple days off work this coming weekend?

" Rooster " said:

Seriously though …“I really need a smaller project/challenge right now” and would like to add a bar module with reclaimed lumber for the coach if possible? Give me the dimensions/parameters and I will ship it to you Bruce. All you will have to do is bolt it in? I got a couple days off work this coming weekend?

That would be cool, but you need to consider the BD … that’s his design work on page 1.

" Rooster " said:

Wow - how cool is this! The BD has approved and we’re good to go. (Well, I DO need to send some stuff to Rooster) Thanks for the offer - I’m really excited about this.

Just in case everybody else wanted to see what we are talking about.

This is the design that Bob did in Autodesk Fusion 360. The program EASILY allows us to share the design.

This shows the 3D model, printed and painted and placed in the approximate location

The idea is that there’s room to walk around it as well as room on the wall when the seat gets flipped to the other direction.

I’ve told David that he is NOT limited to the design, but can come up with anything he wants - just as long as it fits.

I’m really excited about this. David is such a great modeler and I can’t wait to see what he comes up with. (Do you think THAT’S enough pressure??? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif))

Hehe.

It’s a LOT easier to do stuff when you have it right in front of you. I’m having to come up with various measurements and answer other questions. When I’m modeling, I will just cut a piece to see how it might look - and then generate a new piece as a new idea strikes me. When you’re doing it remotely it’s VERY different.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Bruce Chandler said:

Hehe.

It’s a LOT easier to do stuff when you have it right in front of you. I’m having to come up with various measurements and answer other questions. When I’m modeling, I will just cut a piece to see how it might look - and then generate a new piece as a new idea strikes me. When you’re doing it remotely it’s VERY different.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

NO KIDDING !!

OK so I played around with a few different configurations. I originally wanted to split the bar to either side of the walkway(carpet runner). However without having the car in front of me this will be incredibly difficult. I do not want to block windows and not having the exact roof mating configuration in order to make the pass thru is impossible to make sure it would fit exactly.

So I think I will work off the configuration Bob and Bruce have come up with already. The only difference is I want to make it all out of wood. I would like to use some old growth black walnut that has been shaved down to 1/8" for the bar top and I would like the bar top to have “live edge” look. I think the rest of the bar will be redwood, possibly old yellow pine and basswood for the partition as it’s very straight and very stable.

I agree with removing that one seat and moving the bar, otherwise the path past the stuffed swivel chair is too narrow.

Yes, I was also thinking that looked kind of tight there. I hate to make more work, but if you guys decide to do that, I say the runner should also run around the bar with the path way. Looking great so far!

" Rooster " said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Hehe.

NO KIDDING !!

OK so I played around with a few different configurations. I originally wanted to split the bar to either side of the walkway(carpet runner). However without having the car in front of me this will be incredibly difficult. I do not want to block windows and not having the exact roof mating configuration in order to make the pass thru is impossible to make sure it would fit exactly.

So I think I will work off the configuration Bob and Bruce have come up with already. The only difference is I want to make it all out of wood. I would like to use some old growth black walnut that has been shaved down to 1/8" for the bar top and I would like the bar top to have “live edge” look. I think the rest of the bar will be redwood, possibly old yellow pine and basswood for the partition as it’s very straight and very stable.

Thanks. I do like the bar design I came up with, I’d rather not have it split. It is separating the parlor seats from the riff-raff