Large Scale Central

7/8ths Logging equipment

Ahhh, now I remember. You can convert them back to solid bodies but they are still a PIA to work with because they are just a collection of triangles so I’m not sure its worth the effort.

How big is this monster ?

Well that actually is a great question. Way bigger than I originally intended. When we started this project it was “supposed” to be a smaller skidder type donkey. But I had nothing really to judge the size against as I started building it. It is huge in 7/8ths.

But that is also why it got changed from a small skidder to a large yarder/loader. I will design a much smaller skidder as part of the line.

Here is a 7/8 figure next to it

Its on par with this one

After this one is finished and we have a working model then I will design one like this one that will be a much smaller machine.

Funny the subject of how large this is came up. Just after my post Mike sent me a text saying if we reduce it 10% then he can print all the pieces on his machine. So we will be scaling it down 10%.

I have the main boiler done and it is off to mike for printing the prototype to see how it all fits. I did reduce it by 90% and with his 7/8ths guy standing as if he were up on the base I think the proportions are just right.

Cool. They came in so many sizes; why not?

A few years back, I worked hard on a stationary steam engine. After being asked a few times what the scale was, I finally realized the right answer: “name your scale, and I’ll tell you the horsepower.”

1:1 and 3.69ths over a hay penny being seven apples tall.

Not even going to try and pretend I understand what that means.

This is so true Cliff. I am pretty sure I could make it any size I want and it would be prototypical somewhere. But for what we are trying to accomplish it was too big for our skidder. We wanted something small that would be drug around the woods where it was needed. Plus there is the practical side that it has to fit on the printer. I did make the boiler into a upper and lower section so it would print. And since I had gone a long ways before Mike or I really realized how big it was, we didn’t want to just scrap it. Add to it that we had always planned to make an entire line of logging equipment, it natural lent itself to a large yarder/loader. So its not lost it will be a big model yes but it will be a nice one for someone wanting a larger logging operation.

Since the boiler is done I have been plugging away on the boom. We are going to use dowels for the logs but I had to “make” them so I could get angles right. I have the skid attachments done. It includes a bracket that is bolted tot he skid, a bracket that fits the end of the log and then there is a pin that I made in two pieces that will go through both brackets for assembly and be glued so the attachment of boom to skid will pivot.

1 Like

Well I put a fork in it at least until Mike prints the prototype and we make any adjustments.

I am kinda proud of the block I made I hope it works out like I planned. I made it in pieces for easy assembly but I am hoping with careful gluing it can also be working.

We are going to use real metal eye bolts (castings) for hanging the block from the boom.

Now all that remains is for me to decide if I want one in 1:20.3 or if I want it in 1:24. I kinda go back and forth between the two. I am thinking since most of the stuff I build I built to 1:24 (buildings the few I have made so far) so that they can look equally well against 1:20.3 and 1:29 stock. So I am leaning toward 1:24.

Not sure of the status of Ozark, but they make some nice logging castings that could work for you.

I have long admired Ozarks logging line. It is one of the main reasons I have wanted to do this project. With Mike selling these as a model not sure how much he wants to outsource parts. That will be up to him. For me I might use them.

I can see Cliff looking for true roller bearings… for that

Oh, don’t go down that rabbit hole. There are bearings of every size, 1/16 to 1/8 ID even.

3mm,5mm…inside outside upside down. Then you need the proper “scale” 20ton press to install them.

1 Like

I will wait for Cliff to redesign it and send me the file. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So the prints are starting to come off the machine. Mike is assembling the prototype as they do. So far he said I only have some minor issues needing to resize some of the indexing holes. But other than that it is going together nicely. Hopefully by tomorrow we will have the prototype done to show off.

1 Like