Large Scale Central

50 feet to go

The end is in sight for raising the mainline track on the Dirty and Dusty Railway.

After several unplanned pauses I only have 5o feet to go! I may not have it ballasted for the open house Oct. 18 but the oversized gravel doesn’t look bad. And it’s leveled so it’s ready to go.

i will touchbase this week with you

Good for you Doug! Do you have some before and after pictures?

Greg

Doug,

Just do as the 1:1 guys do. Slow order with 10mph max. The layout will seem larger.

BTW when CN decided to take back the service into our valley they spent more than 18 million replacing ties, rail and ballast. Great stuff!

However they left it 'til late in the season and the ballast didn’t have time to settle i.e. they still had 70 miles of 10mph track just like the guys who let the track deteriorate to a dismal state. It was very spongy until it froze good and solid.

I like the Slow Order idea HJ. Adds variety to the layout!
Greg, I’ll see if I can find any “before” pictures. Most places on the layout I didn’t raise it much. I did raise one area about five inches where we had a g scale “flash flood.” After the open house it going to be replaced by a trestle.
Let’s keep our fingers crossed John!

A couple meets the passenger train at Summit but they aren’t happy.

“A month ago we met the train and the station was nearly level. Now look what we have!” Harriet agrees and asks., “How are we going to climb all the way up to that train?”
I think more building is in the future. It may be done this afternoon.

The mainline is raised and leveled and the switches are cleaned.

Tomorrow I run a few trains! Then I start building repair.

Doug, I havent forgot about you, couple of big projects have been eating my lunch at work, plus the wind event staffing pattern. So, is the track work done?

I 've gotten as far as raising the track but it’s not ballasted.
I’ve been watching those Santa Anas.

today, we continued to ballast, rebuilt two passing sidings, and wired up the Wye. Of course we ran the LGB track cleaner, its an awesome toy. Doug, keep me posted as to the progress this week!

The Saturday open house deadline will be met.

John and his wife were a great help on Sunday.

This week so far I have raised and releveled three sidings along with cleaning up the electrical.

I am half finished raising the interchange tracks. Tomorrow I’ll replace the switch. I discovered that this morning.

Three additional buildings are on the layout.

At Saturday’s open house we will have members of LSC, the Lancaster (Ca.) North Western and the Upland Garden Railroad Society. For more details send me a message.

The only thing that didn’t get done was the TE and electrical on a couple sidings. There won’t even be any speed restrictions!

We will get the TE running sometime tomorrow.

Where’s there’s a will there!s a way!

Gee, I though that where the is a will, there are relatives.

I outlived most of our relatives and our son lives too far away!

Had a good time today! We can set another work day on the railroad.

I think the To Do list is getting shorter and the TE works!

Doug, you just jinxed yourself.