Large Scale Central

2022 MIK's Build Challenge

In Memorial to Allan Bupp,

aka: Mik, Mik just Mik.

Founder of the challenges.Train Guy,

Builder, Scrounger, Steam Guy and friend to all.

We miss ya buddy!

MIK’s Build Challenge 2022

Let the fun begin.

All aspects governing the Challenge are to be applied under

Mik’s build challenge Rule #1

Rule #1: Remember this is a “Fun Build Amongst Friends”

The 2022 challenge is a tribute to LSC’s own Alan Bupp.

A time to overcome the doldrums of January and a long winter to wait thru till we can get back to running trains.

The 2022 13th Annual Mik’s Build challenge shall be:

Right Of Way

ROW

Build what ever you would like that would be on the RR Right Of Way!

Such as, But not limited to:

Bridges, Trestles, Culverts, Retaining Walls, Tunnel Portals, Crew Quarters, Out Houses, Speeder Sheds, Lineside Stations, Loading Docks, Coaling Towers, Sand Towers, Engine Houses………And, And, And……( Basically the RR’s Stuff )

There is no size restrictions this year, just like last years challenge.

Any Size, Any Shape, Building, ROW thing.

You will have 30 build days, and a Max budget of $30.00

The Final Build can be any size or shape that you want, of anything that you would like to build. You may use anything or materials that you have on hand as of 1 Jan. 2022, without it costing against the $30.00 total.

TIME LINE:

Jan 1 thru Jan 7th, Sign up. You can start planning, drawing (napkins included), gathering up your supplies, but NO CUTTING or BUILDING! Pondering with adult beverages is permitted!

Before Jan 8th, Build Logs to be posted in Annual Build Challenge forum on LSC. Please post your Napkins drawings with your first posting.

Jan 8th, 0001hr, Actual construction begins.

Jan 8th thru Feb 7th, up-dates to your build log posted.

Feb 6th, 2400hr building ends (extended to local sunrise on the 7th if you must put in an all nighter to finish).

Feb 8th thru 15th, Posting pictures to the “Official Finished “ forum post [ I will start ] for judging. Also post your total “out of pocket” cost.

Feb 16th thru 24th, Voting on the “Official Vote “ forum post [ I will start ] for judging. Also Again this year, you may vote by e-mailing me your vote if you would like to keep it secret. [email protected]

Feb 25th, Winners announced.

RESTRICTIONS:

#1 Actual building starts on JAN 8th and Ends on Feb 6th. That gives you 5 weekends to get it done.

#2 For the 2022 challenge, you must start a “NEW PROJECT”. This challenge excludes anything that you may have started previously to the Jan 1, 2022 starting date.

#3 You may use a part of an existing structure on your Pike to attach the new construction to, ie: Add 3 new stalls to your Roundhouse… You get the Idea. Please post a before photo.

#4 Building Debbies Cake Shop, or Philips Refinery is not in the spirit of the “Right Of Way” concept. But HoBo junction next to the tracks would be.

#5 $30 (US$ or your local equal) is the max you can spend on materials, paints, glue , etc. If you buy a bottle of ink and use two drops, don’t worry about it, if you use the whole bottle, count it. If you have to use 2 inches of a 36 inch piece of brass, because thats the shortest length they sell, figure the cost as 1/18th, you get the picture!

#6 Any item that you already have in your hands as of 1 Jan 2022, does not count towards the limit. Any “Free” item you can procure, is free. This is on the honor system guys. Refer to rule #1

#7 All contestants MUST post a “Build Log” in the Annual Build Challenge forum section of LSC. You have to declare your intentions of what you will attempt to build in the initial post. Post your napkin (drawings) with your first post. You can change it if you want to, but you must post it. NO phantom builds to pop up on the last day! Progress posts ( preferably with pics ) need to be made often. Recommended Build Challenge forum Title “Dave’s 2022 challenge log”. Something along those lines so every one will know, and be able to follow along.

If you choose to participate in Mik’s Build Challenge 2022,

Post a reply to this thread.

The Prize pool for 2022:

Spirit of Mik Award: Photo Mug by Dave Taylor

Others as added:

For the historical record these

have been the Challenge categories:

2022: ROW, Right Of Way

2021: Tin Can.

2020: Chimney Kit.

2019: 10 year redo: “Build Whatever You Want”

2018: 2x4

2017: Quarry cut stones.

2016: Roof panels = 800Sq Ft.

2015: 16’ Flat car, Whimsical theme.

2014: Door

2013: Gondola Kit, or a building.

2012: Finish something you already started.

2011: Build something! Up to 288 Sq In base.

2010: Unk. Category ( build whatever you want )

Happy New Year!

& Great Building!!

3 Likes

Myself and the boys in the WSRR are in again this year. No idea what we will build but we’ll come up with something.

1 Like

HUZZHA!!! Team Mueller is primed and ready!

2 Likes

I am in. And I love the theme. I instantly thought of about a hundred things I could build. And it’s a great time to build something for the ceiling layout.

Wow Mik 2022 has begun and of course I am in but what to build?

While I ponder that I have to figure out where the Freight shed is?

@capecodtodd there is no freight shed on the new site. Simply copy/paste or drag/drop for your local PC, tablet or phone :blush:

As always i can not wait to see who partcipates and what Team Mueller comes up with. This is a great kid friendly theme. There is a lot that can happen here for all ages.

Dang, and I just finished a wicked trestle bridge last month that I haven’t shared on LSC yet. But I guess if it’s not installed on the ROW yet. :joy:

I do have another small bridge of similar construction that needs to be built.

Or I could just challenge myself to build my track in 30 days.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve had a model of the EBT’s coaling dock on my to-do list for years. Even got a copy of the plans from a friend so I could be fairly accurate. The rub is that it is a mostly concrete structure that should probably be poured in-place. It does have a wood and tin shed at the top that could be built indoors…

Contemplating!

Well, you MIGHT be able to build it in the workshop as well. I’m not sold on pouring in place. :innocent:

Perhaps! Then I would need to lift it!

Your mill barely made it the 5 feet from my car to the back patio where it has sat since last spring. Attempts to get Bob to come collect it have so far failed :grin:

Hehe. Just wait until you get OLD! :yum:

Well I might have an idea for a ROW project but I can’t start unless Devon goads me into it like he did last year…

So here I am Devon…

Ha HA thats funny. You did just finish it too and it is awesome. Sucks to be you.

What about pouring it “in place” on a piece of thin tile backer from your local Habitat Restore? I would love to see you build this.

I am still to busy laughing at you for just having completing a bad ass ROW project (bridge) to goad you. I will just simply leave it as your sister ran the Ironman in one day, surely you can complete a small track side detail. in a month. . . unless of course she is more of a man than you!!!

Did that work? (BTW if completing in an Iron man makes her more of a man then I will put my dress on now).

Oh my sister is way more fit than me… So that’s nothing new. :joy: And not just any Ironman, but an Ironman in 105° temps! About 1/3 of all the starting racers dropped mid course. And that’s on top of the 1/4 that didn’t show up… So the fact that she not only finished but finished under the time limit to be an official “Ironman” is super impressive.

My kids still talk about it.

But come on Devon, you’ve giving up to easy. In fact I dug out some 1/8" styrene in hopes that it’s enough to build what I’m thinking.

I could build a small bridge like the one I just built as I need one more bridge by the Darigold plant ( I think it was 4 bents total). But that wouldn’t be too much for a challenge. I’d probably get it done in a weekend.

1 Like

Well I can think of a couple of things needed for my RR, that I was thinking about building, so I might have to toss a hat into whatever ring it needs tossing into. I just looked at a pile of free stuff and was thinking about what to do with it all.

I have enough 19mm foamed PVC board in stock to do it. That might work. Needs a little more thought and a peek at those old plans. I never planed to model the interior that no one ever sees, except maybe the bin opening at the top.

1 Like