Large Scale Central

2022 MIK's Build Challenge

I found the plans for the EBT Coal Dock. They are very detailed and I’d have a hard time just making a replica of the front/top. I don’t need a working model, but I do want the delivery bin and shed on top - so it really should be a cast concrete structure.

The spot where it will live is very close to a pine tree at the end of the Engine House lead. It would replace these rock placeholders…

I’m afraid that if I cast it in the shop, then try and plant it I will have problems getting it properly positioned and may also have problems with it moving in the future.

SO… Thinking of a shift of ideas. I have a ton of nice scale lumber that I bought from Stan Ames a few years ago and a Micro-Marc mini table saw I think I bought from Craig on a whim a few years back. Neither have been used yet, so a wood frame building might be a better choice and have a chance of being finished.

On my track charts there has been a notation of a Passenger Depot or shelter at Pine Summit that has never existed. If a station qualifies I might be able to swing that. More than likely a New Haven design, but perhaps Saltilo, PA as there are full plans available.

So sounds like we need a build log with a napkin drawing. Jon is in

‘Right of Way challenge’…

Well, I did the culvert thing (using a tin can no less) and am not inclined to repeat the experience (the fake woodlands scenic water leaked onto the floor).

The Yards at Middleton and Cliffport could stand a bit of sprucing up - lots of bare wood visible.

Space for trackside structures beyond teeny-tiny sheds is getting tight - but there is one exception, pretty much demanded by the same change in track plan that brought in the culvert: Middleton Platform.

Middleton RR Office | Tim Goff | Flickr

Imgur

The old platform was almost an afterthought. The revised track plan, though allows for more room. (Odd, I don’t have any pics. Well, whatever)

1 Like

Does that mean you are in Tim?

FYI: I"m not going to be able to participate this year. Hopefully I will be an active peanut gallery member.

Have fun!

This saddens me, your talent will be missed

yep, I’m in. More ‘carpentry’ than ‘modeling’ (be using scrap two-by for the base) but it’s on the ‘needs to be done’ list. Might take another look at the station itself, which is a bit of an oddball structure…

Here be the space I have to work with…

Middleton Platform 1

1 Like

Ahaaaa Jim… come on… You can just whip up a simple outhouse…

1 Like

Well, an outhouse is a dang good idea. I just so happened to acquire this prototype photo of a "privy " in the EBT Rockhill Furnace yard…
RockhillYardPrivy

Fits all my requirements: Simple build that I’m likely to finish. Wood construction, corrugated roof that could use some Taylor Tin that I have left over from years ago.

Just because I already have three outhouses floating around is no reason why I shouldn’t have another!

2 Likes

Edited to correct my poor word choices. I mean no offense whatsoever and respect anyone and everyone’s reasons whatever they maybe to not participate. It’s just hard to give a teasing to someone over the net. Hard to see the sarcasm and good naturedness of the intent in the words. So my apology.

With this theme I see opportunity for people to participate (if they can and want to) on a limited time budget. I do understand life has other priorities and something like this needs to take a back burner to more important priorities. Vic one year made a killer outhouse in like a day. I can think of all sorts of valuable track side ROW details that almost any of us could implement that could take an hour. A cement culvert could be made by forming up a few pieces of cereal box and pouring plaster or mortar and letting it cure. Viola your done. For the MIK Snow Shed I made a wire wrapped wood stave water pipe for a culvert by using a piece of styrene tube and gluing wood around it and wrapping it with wire. Viola your done. Get out some brass scraps and your resistance solderer and make a harpy. . .I mean harp stand for a turn out. Dig out an LED and fashion a lamp post or a light pole. How about a trackside junk pile behind the engine shops. How many of us have a scrap truck or some old plastic wheel sets laying around. Since this primarily is pointed at scratch builders I am sure you have a parts bin with a few Bachmann 10 wheeler part that could be thrown on. Add in some wood, scrap brass, and styrene detail and you have a scrap wood and iron pile. Put it in an old Bachmann gondola and its ready to head to the recycler.

Honestly, I might think this is the best theme for a MIK yet. For many reasons. It can be very simple or complex depending on what you have to devote to it for time. It is begging to clean out the scrap heap.

Is this thread the “Annual build Challenge Forum” or will there be a seperate catagory to post the threads to?

I posted my build log/thread under the general heading of the “Annual Build Challenge” and not as a response to this thread. That way each of us has our own autonomous build thread. If we all post to this thread it will be a jumbled mess in no time.

Dan did the same thing. So back out of this thread and start a new thread under the forum sub category and just label it with your name and year that way its preserved for posterity.

Well, I guess I’m just going to disappoint you this year, Devon.

1 Like

I am afraid that my post was not taken in the spirit it was intended. I hope it wasn’t taken as a negative attempt to peer pressure or accuse anyone of not participating. My wording was a little less than perfect and since its hard to establish a “friendly teasing elbow jab” while “talking” on a forum, I can see where it could have been taken the wrong way. I’ll edit it for friendlier word choice.

I understand Jim. If I can’t guilt you into it then I won’t try. I do hope you know that I am not really trying to pressure you, Jim. This is intended to be a good nature ribbing, teasing. I respect your reasons. I just love your modeling and love your participation in the challenge. But More than my disappointment I respect your commitment to more important things.

Ahhh, now I see, it is a sub category under modeling.

1 Like

Come on Devon,
I’m still waiting for motivation from you to post my challenge entry… I figured I gave a big enough hint on FB the other day and crickets from Devon. :joy:

In my efforts to over analyzing things, I’m pondering if I have enough info. :joy:

I’m not on Facebook anymore, sorry. I already called you a girlie girl.

And if we are waiting for you to stop over analyzing something then we had better ask Dave what the 2032 challenge will be and then maybe you might be ready to participate.

With that said Legos could make for a nice block underpass, the big Duplo ones could be used as ecology blocks. Just saying your excuses would make an odiferious addition to Jon’s privy.

Well shoot, I can’t give you a hard time.

If a foam core mockup works as a napkin drawing, I might have something. I’m going to let to sit for a while and decide. I told myself that I needed to finish building track but at the same time I also told my wife that the plan was to get all the structures done (4) on this section of the layout before building new sections of layout. Decisions, decisions…

Here’s my hint, 1x2 or 1x1 with 1x10 or 1x12 could be important. So that’s roughly .030x.060 styrene stock by .030 x .314 or .030 x .413. I’m not crazy enough to build my idea out of wood ( I’ve had enough of that stuff for a while) bit would build it out of plastic.

1 Like

Sounds like kindling to me