Large Scale Central

2019 Mik's Build Challenge

In Memorial to Allan Bupp,

aka: Mik, Mik just Mik.

Founder of the challenges. Train Guy, Builder, Scrounger, Steam Guy and friend to all. We miss ya buddy!

MIK’s Build Challenge 2019

Let the fun begin.

All aspects governing the Challenge are to be applied under

Mik’s build challenge Rule #1

Rule #1: Remember this is a “Fun Build Amongst Friends”

The 2019 challenge is a tribute to LSC’s own Alan Bupp. A throw back to the starting days of the challenge. A time to overcome the doldrums of January and a long winter to wait thru till we can get back to running trains.

The 2019 challenge shall be:

Build what ever you would like!

There is no restrictions this year, just like the very first challenge. Any Size, Any Shape, any Car, Loco, Building, ROW thing, Trestle, Anything RR, or otherwise.

If you’r up to it, you can make multiple 2019 entries. Just start additional build logs to cover each new build.

You will have 30 build days, and a Max budget of $30.00

The Final Build can be any size or shape that you want, of anything that you would like to build. You may use anything or materials that you have on hand as of 1 Jan. 2019, without it costing against the $30.00 total.

TIME LINE:

Jan 1 thru 11, Sign up. You can start planning, drawing (napkins not included), but No cutting or building.

Before Jan 12th, Build Logs to be posted in Annual Build Challenge forum on LSC. Please post your Napkins drawings with your first posting.

Jan 12th, 0001hr, Actual construction begins.

Jan 12th thru Feb 10th, up-dates to your build log posted.

Feb 10th, 2400hr building ends (extended to local sunrise on the 11th if you must put in an all nighter to finish).

Feb 11th thru 17th, Posting pictures to the “Official Finished “ forum post [ I will start ] for judging. Also post your total “out of pocket” cost.

Feb 18th thru 24th, Voting on the “Official Vote “ forum post [ I will start ] for judging. Also Again this year, you may vote by e-mailing me your vote if you would like to keep it secret.

Feb 25th, Winners announced.

RESTRICTIONS: Actual building starts on JAN 12th and Ends on Feb 10th. That gives you 5 weekends to get it done.

For the 2019 challenge, you must start a “NEW PROJECT”. This challenge excludes anything that you may have started previously to the Jan 1, 2019 starting date.

$30 (US$ or your local equal.) is the max you can spend on materials, paints, glue etc. If you buy a bottle of ink and use two drops, don’t worry about it, if you use the whole bottle , count it. If you have to use 2 inches of a 36 inch piece of brass, because thats the shortest length they sell, figure the cost as 1/18th, you get the picture!

Any item that you already have in your hands as of 1 Jan 2019, does not count towards the limit. Any “Free” item you can procure, is free. This is on the honor system guys. Refer to rule #1

All contestants MUST post a “Build Log” in the Annual Build Challenge forum section of LSC. You have to declare your intentions of what you will attempt to build in the initial post. Post your napkin (drawings) with your first post. You can change it if you want to, but you must post it. NO phantom builds to pop up on the last day! Progress posts ( preferably with pics ) need to be made often. Recommended Build Challenge forum Title “Daves 2019 challenge log”. Something along those lines so every one will know, and be able to follow along.

If you choose to participate in Mik’s Build Challenge 2019,

Post a reply to this thread.

The Prize pool for 2019:

Spirit of Mik Award: Photo Mug by Dave Taylor

Others as added:

For the historical record these have been the Challenge catorgies:

2019: 10 year redo: “Build Whatever You Want”

2018: 2x4

2017: Quarry cut stones.

2016: Roof panels =800Sq Ft.

2015: 16’ Flat car, Whimsical theme.

2014: Door

2013: Gondola Kit, or a building.

2012: Finish something you already started.

2011: Build something! Up to 288 Sq In base.

2010: Unk. Category ( build whatever you want )

Happy New Year! & Great Building!!

Humm this might be a good excuse to break out the artist oils, weather powder/chalk and start weathering some cars. As if I need another project…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Oh, great. Now I have to make all the decisions but I’m up to the challenge (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)Count me in. Dave, thanks for all the work you put into getting us off our rear ends to build something to honor Mik.

I’m sure I can dream up something to build being as there are no holds bared

Your letting the kids run free in the toy store? Hot Damn!!!

Well, since I can do anything, sure, I’m in.

I’m in. Will take 4 1/2 weeks do.decide what to.build.and then two days to.build it ut what the heck.

I’m in!

Nice challenge build Dave. Good luck gents(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Well if Devon is in, whine whine then so am I!

Clarification; can it be an old idea, finally coming to fruition?

A bash of old cars and new accessories? Previously I have gathered the parts and put one on another to see how they might look, but no actual modifications have begun.

It’s ok by me, is it, by all y’all?

Since my surgery is on the 9th, I doubt if Nurse Cratchit will let me build for a couple of weeks minimum after, I make no promises.

I just brought in last years entry for the Winter the coaling tower and it has weathered the outdoors very well. The Irish pub built from the quarry stones also came in and became part of my Christmas tree RR.

The best things I have ever built for the RR are because of Mik’s build challenge and thanks to you guys for raising the expectations which has made us all stretch our skill levels so yes count me in this year.

I have been tinkering with an idea to build an interurban/doodlebug car by bashing 2 bachmann cars and using a motorblock underneath. I have a LGB one from a handcar and an aristocraft block, they are not quite right but maybe I can make one work. I was hoping to buy 2 cheap passenger cars at an upcoming train show but for this challenge, if I decide to go with this idea I will have to use 2 that I already have and replace them later.

The wheels are starting to turn in my mind.

I’m in Dave. I justt have to figure out what
I am doing!

Sounds like fun! I have a cool project i am working on to bring to Cabin Fever. Already started, i guess it doesnt count. But there is still time to do something afterwards…gotta figer out what!

I have so many unfinished projects starting a new project seems inconceivable.

But what the heck, why not ? ! ?

I’ll probably be in, just I’m not sure what I will do. There are a few ideas i’ve had bouncing around in my head, I just have to decide which. Time allowance will only allow one idea at time this year.

Hmm… I will see if I start feeling better by deadline I will join. Need to get rid of this cough. I also nee dot remember how to post pics here…

Time to inventory the popsicle sticks…

Oh thanks, Dave. I was hoping for a little more direction to organize the clutter in my mind.

I’m in, but for what, I have no idea!

Gee Whiz. We have only just started this year and already I have been accused of Devoning this project on my Facebook page (I can’t escape). I had it all figured out what to build and then came up with another idea. So already i am at a point of indecision which is accompanied by paralysis.

Devon Sinsley said:

Gee Whiz. We have only just started this year and already I have been accused of Devoning this project on my Facebook page (I can’t escape). I had it all figured out what to build and then came up with another idea. So already i am at a point of indecision which is accompanied by paralysis.

And so it begins …