Large Scale Central

2 Bit Yard Operations

Thank you Bruce.

I can see the names origin now and I could certainly build one in my inglenook if I were into the smaller scales.

Take away the acrimony from LSC and you are left with a great modellers resource. A winter project, for me, could be to build a small inglenook yard in my garage. It would certainly allow ops on cold windy or wet days.

Looking at the link, provided by Bruce, I notice a good example which I could copy at Tide Flats, Tacoma on the old Milwaukee Road.

I most likely have sufficient spare track and lumber to use as a base but it would be no hardship to obtain more track, most likely second hand.

Alan,

I think that if I were looking at a nice winter project, I would take a look at some of these small layouts. I just think I could have more fun with them, plus there would be the neat opportunity to do some building flats.

I’m glad, Alan, that you have been introduced to the concept of the Inglenook puzzle. It really deserves to be more widely known than it is.
I no longer recall how Alan Wright, its originator, explained having taken his name from the fireplace inglenook, but there it is. If you are delving into it now, you may come across his explanation afresh.
The classic Inglenook has given rise to several variations, along with clever names that play on the original.
I built a smaller version which accommodates five cars and calls for a train of three.
It can be drawn into service on social occasions, a sort of ‘minimal Inglenook’ which I call ‘Minglenook’. My apologies.
I’ve seen American and German variations, Siamese twin Inglenooks, and on and on, often with humorous names derived from the original in one way or another.

Doesn’t Ric Golden have an Inglenook tied to a Timesaver? I’d like to see a track plan of that, if you have one, Ric.

Steve Featherkile said:

Doesn’t Ric Golden have an Inglenook tied to a Timesaver? Is like to see a track plan of that, if you have one, Ric.

Steve, he does… They are both attached and worked together at York… During York, the Inglenook is basically the Yard for the Timesaver…

He’s on the way, or in Fla right now, camping…

Hi Bruce,

I really like this thread and your idea! It’s a great idea to just focus on one small area of your pike when you don’t have the time or energy to operate the whole railroad. You can still get down to the real detail, but in small bite-sized chunks.

Funnily enough we do a very similar thing for our road. Sometime we just fancy doing some switching but not run the whole line, so we set up a local turn that just does one small area of the railroad. Usually it is either to our sawmill complex or our papermill plant. Both of these are small switching puzzles in themselves with each having its own run-around siding and plenty of spots for cars, so both areas allow for plenty of action. We usually just use a small switcher like you and focus on one area, keeping things short but yet still providing a good mental challenge!

Best wishes,

Gavin

PS: your bank was looking very nice in the new GR! :slight_smile:

Hey Steve,

Ric GoldING, here, aka Ric Golden :wink:

The Inglenook on our traveling trackage is much like this. Our’s is slightly smaller with the long track at a 4 car capacity, instead of 5 cars, and the two sidings at 2 car capacity, instead of 3 cars each.

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/Inglenook/inglenook-trackplan.html

One thing to remember, when performing this puzzle, is that you can leave a car sitting on top of a turnout. This increases your capacity options a lot.

This turns out to be a great little idea. It’s rather mild today so I was outside working on a grade that had some dips in it last time Ken and I had an ops session. I had a few cars out to make sure they could go up and down without uncoupling, which they did.

I figured why not get a few more out and do a little easy switching? I already had the cordless blower out, so I used it to clear the yard track. I got out 8 more cars and drew my coins.

Heh - a pretty easy one this time, not even any yellow coins and two of the cars are already in the right order.

Even so, it was relaxing to just put a train together. It also gave me another look at how well my yard switches were working and I was quite pleased.

So, in less than 15 minutes, the train is made up and ready to go, and I’ve had a bit of fun playing.

Bruce Chandler said:

Even so, it was relaxing to just put a train together. It also gave me another look at how well my yard switches were working and I was quite pleased.

That’s because no one was with you!

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Bruce Chandler said:

That’s because no one was with you!

I think you’re right. When Ken was here last time I had some issues with cars decoupling on the grade that goes down to Oates Furniture; today I couldn’t find anything to fix.

When removing some of the fallen leaves yesterday it dawned upon me that I already have an ‘inglenook’ set of trackwork on the railroad. But that is outdoors and the objective, now, is an indoor version for bad weather days.

Hopefully, providing no one else has other ideas for my leisure time, I will search out the lumber for the indoor set up.

OK, I’ve waited long enough…

Bruce?? If it’s a 2-bit Yard Operations, shouldn’t the coins be quarters, versus pennies???

:slight_smile:

sorry, Just had to do it…

Andy, the term “2 bits” does not refer to a quarter. Two bits is an older term used to the amount of 25 cents. Since I ended up using 25 pennies, it was only natural to refer to it as 2 bits.

Sorry, just had to correct it.

Bruce, you’re right…

Besides, a quarter ain’t worth 25 cents anymore… :slight_smile:

There was a Two Dot on the Old Milwaukee Road: (http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/a010.gif)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Dot,_Montana

If you trace it back far enough, you discover that the expression ‘two bits’ originated on the Spanish Main, with the doubloon. This too-valuable coin was cut, pizza fashion, into eight more useful pieces. Pieces of eight, they were called.
Two of 'em made a quarter of a doubloon, y’see. But I’m getting a ‘bit’ pedantic. Stop me now! Cheers.

‘2bits, 4 bits, 6bits a dollar’ I remember this as a jingle or perhaps from a song… in the 50s.

The pieces of eight tho’ is the true source, thanks John

The ‘inglenook’ project is now under way. Due to two factors - there were no honey do’s and it rained - I was able to built the structure, on which to lay the track. An old pine kitchen table top and an unused large desk top are the track surfaces. Fitting the tops with folding legs enable it to be dismantled when required. Tomorrow should see track being sorted.

Alan Lott said:

The ‘inglenook’ project is now under way. Due to two factors - there were no honey do’s and it rained - I was able to built the structure, on which to lay the track. An old pine kitchen table top and an unused large desk top are the track surfaces. Fitting the tops with folding legs enable it to be dismantled when required. Tomorrow should see track being sorted.

Alan, I hope you realize… Without pics, it never happened… :slight_smile:

Good luck with your build…

Andy Clarke said:

Alan, I hope you realize… Without pics, it never happened… :slight_smile:

Good luck with your build…

Now 'er indoors knows its happened. She saw it and said “what’s that for and is it staying there?”

I will take a cell 'phone pic (don’t have a camera) when it is finished and there are cars on the tracks.