Large Scale Central

1500 series Thrall Mail/material Handling cars

Looking for specs and information on them other than pictures? Anybody got anything>
I know they were supposed to be put back too work on the NEC in 2003? Ain’t seen one yet…

Dad…Matt…Father…Anyone??

No specific info on the MHCs, but I bet you could find the info on the Amtrakmodeler group (part of the many Yahoo Groups). The group has been very helpful for some of my various HO scale Amtrak projects.

Here is a link:

Amtrakmodelers

Matt…
Thanks! I’m not into joining various groups as I have trouble enough keepin’ up with the 3 sites I’m involved with already. Only one is train related.
:wink:
I’ll get them pigs figured out but was looking for an easy route first!

Another solution might be to get an HO scale (or even n scale) model and use it for reference. Walthers, Kato and Con-Cor make/made some in HO scale. I assume you’d like to build one or two for G gauge? Kato’s is pretty nice:

(http://www.walthers.com/prodimage/79899095/9020435350853N.gif)

David, There were drawings in MR in 1988…but Thrall’s MHC 1400-series from 1986 (initial design ). If you’re interested I can look through my collection, scanning & mailing you the article. I’ve used the drawings for my own large-scale MHC-model - however, there are some differences between the photos I’ve seen on the Inet, the available models in N & H0 and those (older) drawings: e.g., no big wheel for locking the door (a lever instead) and no ladders on the ends (grabs only) - as mentioned in the article, there have benn made several changes during operation. However, the other dimensions should probably fit. [url=http://img834.imageshack.us/i/amtrakside.jpg/]

(http://a.imageshack.us/img834/3697/amtrakside.jpg)

[/url] Regards Norman

Norman

Thank you and an e-mail sent. I believe we own the only F-40’s in our scale? I have found lots inaccurate details on most mass produced models. My MR mags stop in 1986…in 88 I was 18 and trains weren’t important to me then!
:wink:
LOVE YOUR MODELS!!!

David, you do realize how big that F40PH is? Yours is still the only one in our scale :stuck_out_tongue:

Robbie Hanson said:
David, you do realize how big that F40PH is? Yours is still the only one in our scale :P
It's not in the G-scale range?
David Russell said:
It's not in the G-scale range?
eeehhhh, no, sorry - it's built in a bit larger scale: 1/11.4 (correct scale for 5" gauge).

The F40 is about 4’10" long, the MHC app. 5’4" - the MHC is able to carry two adults.
I hope you’re not too disappointed that both are not in your scale…

Hope your mail provider is able to transfer the few MB I’ve put into your mailbox…

Regards
Norman

Damn, pics can be deceiving. Nice work Norman and nice scale to work in. What powers the 40?

It’s powered with two 250W/12V-Motors, one on each truck (parallel wired). Transmission is by a worm gear to one axle and to the other by a teeth-belt. Power supply is by two automotive-batteries under the shell.
Probably I’ll change the motors to 24V to reduce the high amperage and maybe switch to a chain-drive to improve efficiency. Running-time with the current drive-system is rather disappointing, 4-5 miles maximum. My 24V-powered F7 performs much better.

Best wishes
Norman

Thank you :slight_smile:

That’s awesome Norman and no I’m not disappointed it’s not in G scale it’s actually better than G!
PDF file arrived …THANK YOU . My wife also thanks you as I spent the day getting all my magazines out from storage and spread all over my office floor (in the upstairs hallway). It could take weeks to go through them just to see what I might be missing. I did find Viewliner plans/drawings!

The wonder of purple ( castrol super clean ) :wink:

Is it done yet?

Nice work Rooster

Not bad at all Rooster.

Very nice.

It’s not done yet!
…;)…