Large Scale Central

0-8-8-0 Camelback

I love the look of this brute:

Ugly, but in a good way. All muscle and mass. That firebox looks about as big as a small house! And check out the huge low pressure cylinders in front. Then then whole engine is covered with pipes, valves, handrails, pumps, tanks, etc to complete the look.

A narrow gauge version would be awesome!!!

Yea, she has a certain charm about her. Thats something I could see running on my railroad, if she could handle my curves.

Eye-bleach needed.

tac

Looks like something the Reading RR might have had, but I don’t see anything that identifies it.

Wonder if that’s a Baldwin built engine?

Some info here guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_L-1

Alan Lott said:

Some info here guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_L-1

Interesting!

tac Foley said:

Eye-bleach needed.

tac

tac, be nice. Tha’ts a very interesting and unique piece of…railroading equipment.

David it is a beauty, wonder how it was articulated…

I wonder how many times that second set of cylinders whacked an srrant tie or loose spike?

Bill

There was an HO version of this in brass by Daiyoung
(No…not he was not a Welshman!!)

(LOL)

The first Mallet built in the US was an 0-6-6-0 nicknamed Old Maud.

I think a model of that could be easily bashed from two Piko moguls, a camelback version could be an done using the new Piko model as the fore part. Its not quite the monster above but at least the drive parts are readily accessible unlike finding two four axle drive blocks today.

Rather than a Mallet, make it a Meyer, and it will go around most everybody’s curves.

Trying hard not to be helpful… :wink:

Mark Dashnaw said:

David it is a beauty, wonder how it was articulated…

Mark yes she is a beauty. I said I would like to have one for my railroad if it would negotiate my curves. It looks, to me, like the front engine pivots under the cab. Kinda like a Big Boy’s front engine pivots at its aft end.

Ray Dunakin said:

I love the look of this brute:

Ugly, but in a good way. All muscle and mass. That firebox looks about as big as a small house! And check out the huge low pressure cylinders in front. Then then whole engine is covered with pipes, valves, handrails, pumps, tanks, etc to complete the look.

That looks more like a HULK than a BRUTE !!

and it looks like it might have come from the tracks of Russia over that prehistoric land bridge along with the Wooly Mamoths.

Pretty COOL

Interesting to note that the front engine is in forward gear and the rear engine is in reverse…that could be interesting when the engineer opens the throttle…

tac
OVGRS

tac, I dunno how you can tell. I see open space at the top of both of the reversing links.

Maybe, if they are set opposite, the engineer is about to do the dragster thing. You know, spin up the wheels and make a lot of smoke, but not go anywhere. :wink:

I don’t know. It’s still a camelback. Some may think it’s a beauty, but I can’t get my aesthetic mind wrapped around it. Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes right to the bone !!

David Maynard said:

tac, I dunno how you can tell. I see open space at the top of both of the reversing links.

Maybe, if they are set opposite, the engineer is about to do the dragster thing. You know, spin up the wheels and make a lot of smoke, but not go anywhere. :wink:

Front radius rod DOWN = forward gear.

Rear radius rod UP = reverse gear.

Vic’s fine pic shows another articulated loco in mid-gear, with the radius rods in the centre of the expansion link.

tac
OVGRS

Could it possibly have to do with the front engine having outside admission valves vs inside admission valves for the high pressure ones in the rear ? I find it hard to believe that the valve settings weren’t linked somehow to prevent this from happening. Trying to adjust them independently would seem to be a bit of a frustrating and distracting ordeal