Large Scale Central

Under-the-deck train storage project

Hey Cliff- Why not just paint the backdrop on the lid of the storage box. As long as you leave the boxes open (lids up) while you’re running trains, you will see the backdrop picture. Just a thought.

Oh, and everything looks amazing, so far. Keep up the good work!!

-Kevin.

Hi Randy, thanks for that. The forces get pretty big as you get closer to the pivot. For example, a 50lb force at 24" out from the pivot becomes a 600lb force at 2" from the pivot. Even if dividing it across 4 springs, that strikes me a lot of stored energy… and, I didn’t account for springs that big in the hinge area.

I’m not disagreeing with you though. If I had access to aluminum angle and sheet for these lids (and the knowledge / tools to fabricate with them), that would certainly have been the far more elegant and space-effective way to go!

Thanks Kevin! That’s actually a great idea, but I didn’t design for those surfaces meeting up in a vertical plane.

Still, if someone did, they could couple that with some other ideas here. Like Randy’s torsion springs or Rooster’s struts, an aluminum frame, Ken’s “ditch” lights (that automatically turn on the 12v lights for in-box illumination, right Ken?)… Could be really cool.

Cliff

Cliff Jennings said:

Thanks Kevin! That’s actually a great idea, but I didn’t design for those surfaces meeting up in a vertical plane.

Still, if someone did, they could couple that with some other ideas here. Like Randy’s torsion springs or Rooster’s struts, an aluminum frame, Ken’s “ditch” lights (that automatically turn on the 12v lights for in-box illumination, right Ken?)… Could be really cool.

Cliff

I was being facetious, but, yea, that’ll work…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Today I started on the backdrop panels, and got about half-way through.

These panels form the outboard side of the train garage, and will later get cut down some and painted to be a backdrop to the eventual city here.

Cheers,

Cliff

Great work Cliff!

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Thanks very much, Joe and Rooster!

And the ones on the ground? They must be a walkway, so you don’t turn an ankle on the uneven ground.

Great, heavy duty storage soultion. Already have me thinking about furure plans. Thanks for showing and keep the pictures coming

Thanks Pete, I sure appreciate that. And you bet, I’ll keep posting.

David, glad you asked. Those sheets on the ground were cutoff’s, and I’m using them for skidding the full sheets into position. Those suckers are heavy. Since nothing is really square (even the deck posts), I’ve been clamping the sheets in place, marking, and cutting on the spot.

[dupe post]

Yea, nothing is really square. And in the past 2 houses I lived in, level is up for grabs too. And plumb? Like yea, get a life, at ain’t true neither.

Cliff

Looking fantastic!

How will the panels take paint?

i would not paint them. such a nice blue!

i would make reliefs of houses and trees and glue them to the panels.

David, that’s so true. I think the harder I try to make it square / level / plumb, the more wonky it turns out, haha!

Thanks very much Sean! The panels are HDPE, so they won’t really take paint. BUT, Krylon Fusion paints are said to do well. So light whites & grays for clouds should be ok. But mainly the sky blue will come through, as Korm said. For the mountains, I’m looking into tan self-adhesive roll roofing, to serve as a paintable canvas which already has the base color.

Korm, I’ve been planning on free-standing “flats” of houses, maybe 3 city blocks deep, with the last one being against the backdrop. But you’re right, it could be trees or closer hills or anything, good idea.

Thanks guys,

Cliff

Cliff,

The Fusion is OK but I have used the regular Krylon over the “gray” primer (must be primed) with very good success. American Accents (now owned by Rustoleum) has been on my viaduct with no ill effects for many years as well. However that is a lot of square footage for a rattle cans! With a quick light sanding (just for tack) say 120 grit. You can easily use Sherwin Williams Duration (about $45/gallon) if you plan on painting it all.

Rooster,

The cloud coverage would be fairly light, so cans should be ok. But, one can get Fusion in cans (probably a special order) for more solid coverage.

I’ve used the Rustoleum plastic primer, is that what you refer to? And what material is your viaduct?

Didn’t see any mention of plastic surfaces on the Duration, any inside knowledge on that?

Thanks for all the ideas,

Cliff

Cliff

Painted vinyl siding with duration about 7yrs ago with no issues yet. The viaduct is tufboard which is kinda like veranda pvc board.

Cliff Jennings said:

For the mountains, I’m looking into tan self-adhesive roll roofing, to serve as a paintable canvas which already has the base color.

Thanks guys,

Cliff

Does it come in Purple Mountain Majesty?

Tucson is in a bowl, I thought I’d recreate the skyline we have. Several of my elevated planks have stiffening planks on the back side, I was thinking a cheap roll of tin would rust into place. There is no cheap tin. Next best idea?

Shore is a purdy blue!

John