Large Scale Central

Installing led lights in Aristo Streamliners

Need some advice. Is there anyway to remove the bottom of an Aristo Streamliner from the one piece top and sides in order to place an led strip on the roof of the top inside of the car? The only access that I can determine is to remove the ends and install the strip from the end of the car. I also assume that the wiring to the track power for the original lights, through the trucks, must be disconnected at the truck. Am I correct? New power will come from a 9 volt battery box under each car for the led strip. The heavyweights seem simpler as they are the next to change out after the Streamliners. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Rich,

I have not had the need to take the Aristo Streamliner car apart or change its lights, but I did deal with its wiring.

Shown below is an example car with trucks removed so you can see the wire connections.

Aristo Streamliner Car Underside View

It may be helpful to see the wiring diagrams I made of the car with different possible configurations, including adding a battery feature, an example of which is shown below.

Example Wire Diagram with Battery Option

For more info., see “Appendix A” in article hosted for me by Greg E. on his Web site, title: “Aristo Streamliners - Lowering & Body Mounting Kadee 907 Centerset Couplers

-Ted

If you remove the ends, you should have access to the wiring. Once the wiring from the floor to the ceiling is disconnected, the floor will slide out the end.

Ted and David, Thank you. David, I’ll try that and see if the floor will come out. Ted, your wiring diagram will be useful also. I’ll keep everyone posted.

David,

Did you remove the end/s on an Aristo Streamliner car? If so, how did you do it without incurring damage? (I think the ends are glued in place by the factory.)

Thank you,

-Ted

The bottom of the car end is held in place with 2 screws. The top is held in place with

a blob of hot glue. Remove the screws and slowly pull/pry the end off the car. Go slow!

Thank you Kevin

Of course when you put the car back together, the top of the end must be re glued.

-Ted

Yes, I will add a bit of silicon to secure the top and to add a bit of water resistance, although I don’t leave my cars out in the weather. My ends came off with a bit of tugging. Removing the wire for the track power from the trucks took a little more time. I’ll post pics in a couple of days when I finish putting them back together. I’m doing four so it will take a little more time. First car with a test looked great. David, I was unable to get the bottom of the cars to slide out, but no matter, getting the light strip in was not difficult. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I had to use a hair drier to melt the hot glue at the the end of mine. There was a lot.

I did an article for Garden Railways Magazine on adding a drum head and rear flashing lights to convert a steamliner passenger car to an “observation car.” It told how to provide constant voltage for flashing LED lighting. I don’t remember when it ran.

So far, I’ve been fortunate, my ends are coming off easy. I’ll try to look up your article on installing a drum head. Could be a fun project. Just finished the first car. It looks great, except now my youngest granddaughter will want to know "where the people are ". Guess I’ll be going in again!

Just as side note, if you pull out the green window strip you will find a clear one in there with it.

Also I have made up interiors for these cars that slide in from one end. Don’t know how to get the pix

from my phone to this site.

Kevin

I kinda like the green windows

If I remember the streamliners right here on the Santa Fe San Diegan, they did indeed have a greenish tint.

Greg

Rich Niemeyer said:
I kinda like the green windows

Mee too

Yes, the green windows are cool. But, after installing seats and people you just have to go clear(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif).

Why?

whoops…

Rich Niemeyer said:
So far, I’ve been fortunate, my ends are coming off easy. I’ll try to look up your article on installing a drum head. Could be a fun project. Just finished the first car. It looks great, except now my youngest granddaughter will want to know "where the people are ". Guess I’ll be going in again!

It didn’t see it mentioned and don’t know if it interests you or not. However if you decide to take them back apart and would like to lower them. You can slide the whole bottom floor out of it’s grooves and then slide it back in on top of them. This drops the car about 1/4" I believe and really gives them a nice look.

" Rooster " said:

Rich Niemeyer said:

It didn’t see it mentioned and don’t know if it interests you or not. However if you decide to take them back apart and would like to lower them. You can slide the whole bottom floor out of it’s grooves and then slide it back in on top of them. This drops the car about 1/4" I believe and really gives them a nice look.

Yes, that really does improve the look. Although on some models (certain production runs) you have to make sure that the under-body decorations aren’t hanging so low that they catch on stuff. I didn’t have that problem, but George Schreyer mentions this on his site.

Thanks Rooster. I tried to slide the bottoms out of the upper body, but they wouldn’t budge. David suggested I also do that to make installing the new led strips easier. But to no avail. They simply wouldn’t move. I’ve completed three of the four with windows, and they look great. The fifth is a baggage car I need to examine closely to see if adding leds would make any difference. Not sure there is any openings for light to be visible. I like the idea of lowering the cars, but as David points out, the undercarriage items of my cars (about 1999 vintage), are already low and dropping them lower could be problematic. I suppose I could remove the stuff and cut them down some, but the problem is still trying to remove the bottoms again. I’m working on the lounge car now and will try to pull the bottom, but I doubt it will. The bigger problem will be to figure out how to illuminate the side markers and end light with the leds. Any ideas?