Large Scale Central

4-6-0 Build

After the fun I’ve had building that fictitious Russian locomotive a while back I have now turned my attention to making a 1:32 scale model of a locomotive that used to run here in Maine. Back in the 90’s the Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad bought some Swedish rolling stock and a locomotive to run on the scenic railroad in Unity, Maine. Here is the work so far on the Statens Järnvägar 4-6-0 class B. #1149 “Spirit of Unity”

I’m building the locomotive from a Bachmann 4-6-0 chassis which I took a Dremel to in order to fir the boiler later on. When finished it’ll hopefully be able to get as close to the photo above. It’s also going to be manual battery powered like the engine I built before.

~Caleb

Best of luck with your new project!

Caleb did a great job with his previous engine. I look forward to seeing this one progress!

I wish I had seen the prototype in action…sadly I didn’t know about it at the time.

Very nice start. And neat prototype too. How did you fashion those “plow blades” on the front? They look really good. I hope someone doesn’t miss those Legos. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Very nice start. And neat prototype too. How did you fashion those “plow blades” on the front? They look really good. I hope someone doesn’t miss those Legos. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Haha I wondered when someone would notice the LEGO pieces. I have hundreds of those parts and I won’t miss them. As for the ploughs I cut then out of tinplate which I then soldered brackets to, which holds it them to the guard irons.

Caleb Randolph said:

Haha I wondered when someone would notice the LEGO pieces.

Heh, when you’ve spent hours and days of you life scanning through that pile of Legos looking for that one last piece you know you have, they tend to stick out.

I thought you were doing some nice tin work on those plows. Great job.

Wow, nice work so far!

Progress update. So I couldn’t wait till the end to paint the buffer beam and ploughs so I did it anyway. I have also started construction on the boiler. I did a test fit today and it needs a little tweaking to get it just right. While parts on the engine are drying I have created detail parts for later such as the steam dome which I made out of polymer clay since it’s a special part that would take forever to make with other materials.

Caleb,

Like others I enjoyed your last build and so far this one is looking fine. You have two aspects that make your modeling enjoyable to follow. One it is unique in design and you work so fast we get quick updates.

Well folks this is going to be the last update for a while. I’m going to be moving to Florida in a couple weeks so I have to mothball my locomotive until I get settled and start earning money again. I’m pleased with the amount of progress I’ve made. :slight_smile:

Good luck with the move.

Caleb

The water is weird in Florida, your ankles don’t hurt!

Good luck!

A very nice start! We’ll be waiting for you to get set back up and posting. Best wishes for a smooth move!

Hi everyone, I have an update on my locomotive. It survived the trip to sunny Florida and I’ve managed to work on it in my spare time. I’ve begun construction on the tender and detail parts on the front. The return crank and connecting rod needs to be narrowed since it keeps catching on the air reservoir above the center driver.

Nice work Caleb. I hope the move to Florida went smoothly for you. What part of the state are you in? I am in N.E. Florida (St.Johns county).

Joe Zullo said:

Nice work Caleb. I hope the move to Florida went smoothly for you. What part of the state are you in? I am in N.E. Florida (St.Johns county).

Thanks Joe, I’ve settled in nicely and have a job at a local restaurant. I live in Sarasota and down the road from a couple of model railroad shops which is a bonus!

Cool stuff!
Hmm, you know how an apple a day keeps the doctor away, I wonder if an orange a day keeps the hurricanes away? We want the good things you’ve got going to keep on going.

It’s amazing how differently something looks with a coat of paint. There’s still some work needed before the final paint job but this gives me an idea of what the finished result will be. I modeled a new the steam dome which is smaller and more accurate to the prototype. Still a lot of detail to add…

Looking good Caleb! It is probably a good bit cooler here in Maine than in Sarasota these days… Sorry to see you head south!

Caleb Randolph said:

Still a lot of detail to add…

But, hey, like the saying says, it all adds up. You sound encouraged and energized by the way it looks with a spot of paint tying it all together,