Large Scale Central

Yard design question

I moved my small storage yard and want to build a small classification/USMRR freight depot yard. The concept I am trying to use was taken from a site by Craig Bisgeier. Everything will be within reach with this design. Do I have the run-around cross-over in a good location, or should I move it after the turnout closer to the A/D track? Is the turnout between the aux and the run-around too much? Any other suggestions are welcome.

*OOPS! The tags for the car lengths of the yard track are flipped.

David,

If you moved the cross over closer to the A/D track you’d have a longer yard track and actually that is what you are building, a yard. Railroads never put in an extra tie or rail unless needed, so I would be extremely conservative on what you put down. Why not add track as you find a need for it, instead of totally building it to see if it covers all your needs? Just a thought.

Yard design is tough. Craig Bisgeier has a great webpage with ‘rules’ on how a yard should be set up.

http://www.housatonicrr.com/yard_des.html

I’m with Ric, put down a couple of tracks, see how it works, add as needed.

Thanks men.

I rearranged my sidings this AM and like the setup. I think it will work well as a light duty depot and classification yard, putting everything within reach.

I just need a few more switches. Arrrgh!

David Hill said:
It seems I always need a few more switches ;) Ralph
Ralph Berg said:
David Hill said:
It seems I always need a few more switches ;) Ralph
Yeah, that is what my mother said... :P