Large Scale Central

Yard Design Ideas

Howdy Railfans.

I have been compiling ideas for a new yard expansion this Spring and with suggestions from you guys I want to build a platform with hardware clothe and ballast like we talked about in another post. My switches that I’m building are coming along slowly.

My original yard is 30" wide by 16’ long and has a similar track design as to what I plan for the new.

The old near 7 year old plywood topped yard.

This is where the new elevated yard will be going. In between the tree and the deck there is a single track that comes in off a WYE.

I don’t want to build out into the yard much so I layed out a yard track plan that will fit in a 36" by 20’ long area that I have to work with.

In the photo the main off the wye is coming in at the bottom right. This track continues to maybe a train shed in the future but there is a runaround at the end now. The yard ladder branches off to the left with a couple of tracks for storage then there is another track which comes back towards the wye and ends where the tree is in the other photo. This might be a engine service area. At the start and the runaround there are wide radius switches to accomadate a bachmann 2-6-6-2 but to save space and money tighter switches were used as we get into the yard. My next biggest engine a GP38 can manage the tight switches.

It is a bit tough to see but what do you guys think about my proposal? I think it makes the most use of my space but please remark if you see room for improvement.

Thanks. Todd

Can’t really see the track on the rug.

Ron

Todd,

A major consideration when positioning trackwork on raised benchwork is “reach”. While it is possible to control switches remotely either electronically, by air or with choke cables you still must have access for maintenance as well as installation.

I have found that for most people 30" is about maximum with 24" maximum about ideal from the edge of the benchwork. That makes roughly 36" wide maximum for operational benchwork that’s accessible from one side and 60" - 72" maximum if accessible from both sides. Of course there can be a bit of redundant space behind the track for raised scenery or structure flats.

Track that’s hard to reach for operation is not fun and it’s always the “unreachable” one that requires attention or where a car derails. Too, there’s always the wayward falling twig or pine cone to remove.

If your benchwork is low, perhaps 24" to 30" high you can provide a hard spot disguised as a road between two sets of tracks upon which you could step on to access the rear most trackage for access but this could still be uncomfortable.

My yard areas are all long and skinny since the engineer follows alongside his train and throws the switches manually. Whatever configuration you decide for your yard be sure and make reach a major factor. It will make your enjoyment a lot better and your back will surely thank you as well.

:slight_smile:

Here’s the schematic for the POC; not to scale. Each section is roughly 70-80 feet long for a total of about 230 feet.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/richard_smith/2012/POC-TrackDiagram-4a.sig.jpg)

Sorry for the misalignment but this program seems to like messing things up. However almost all of the diagram is there with just a small portion on the right missing. Enough to get the idea I think.

Richard Smith said:

Sorry for the misalignment but this program seems to like messing things up. However almost all of the diagram is there with just a small portion on the right missing. Enough to get the idea I think.

It’s not the program (it’s doing what it’s supposed to). It’s your picture. It’s bigger than allowed. It can only be 800 px wide. Yours is 1,031px × 791px. You should have resized it before posting it.

Richard Smith said:

Can I file off the serial number and make it my own? :slight_smile:

(https://ff.duckduckgo.com/favicon.ico)(https://www.google.com/favicon.ico)

Steve Featherkile said:

Can I file off the serial number and make it my own? :slight_smile:

You know the rules!

Not till page 3

Good advice Richard. I also follow my trains around and throw all the switches which are all in reach except one that is under a low tree which I have actuate with a sliding cable arrangement. I have lots of experience with that just out of reach problems occuring so I know just what you are saying about that.

The reach issue could be a problem. I surveyed my site and at the highest point due to the ground sloping away the road bed benchwork will be 45 inches above ground. I marked then tried to reach across the 36" proposal and couldn’t do it. I will need to build a step or to decrease the distance from 36" to 32" which I think I can do given my track plan.

From your schematic Richard it looks like most of your yard lines have run arounds. In my plan I was going to have one seen to the left in this photo. This track at the far left comes in off the Wye. I’m using wide radius switches to accomadate my biggest engine the 2-6-6-2 so it can get in and out. It can also make it down to the last leg on the right but will not go through the small switches and into the planned 2 track service area at the top right. The rest of my stuff will get through.

This photo of the track plan should be easier to see. This design will be stretched out over 18 + feet. Any suggestions to improve on it? In the future I may build a 2 track engine barn off the track at the bottom left of photo.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/capecodtodd/_forumfiles/trackplan.jpg)

Checked on 1/2 by 1/2 square hardware clothe in a roll 36" by 25’ and WOW the roll is $50! I might need to rethink this benchwork and go back to a plywood top. Something about spending $50 on some cheap wire fence bugs me.

Thanks all.

Joe Zullo said:

Richard Smith said:

It’s not the program (it’s doing what it’s supposed to). It’s your picture. It’s bigger than allowed. It can only be 800 px wide. Yours is 1,031px × 791px. You should have resized it before posting it.

Oh no!!! I hope I don’t get a ticket! The plan used to fit Ossifer…honest! :wink: I think the program has it in for me.

I didn’t even think that the changes would affect it that way. sigh…! Think I’ll go back to smoke signals. Of course I may need a new blanket.

Todd,

I bought 50 foot rolls of hardware cloth. It may sag initially depending on how taught it is and the weight it must bear (why I put the track on the lath roadbed) but it won’t warp, peel break or rot. Once it settles it is quite stable. As in most things you get what you pay for and the benchwork is the foundation for the entire railroad. If not done the very best you can it will give you much grief as everything else rests upon it.

How much will you save by using plywood? I can’t see where it would be much if any. Don’t equate the hardware cloth with chicken wire; it’s not the same stuff. Of course it’s up to you.

As to the yard it should do you just fine. Is it to be a through yard? And could there be multiple operators there much of the time? If so the only suggestion I would have would be to provide for a switching lead track alongside the mainline so the yard could be switched without fouling the main.

Richard Smith said:

Here’s the schematic for the POC; not to scale. Each section is roughly 70-80 feet long for a total of about 230 feet.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/richard_smith/2012/POC-TrackDiagram-4a.sig.jpg)

Richard & all -

In Firefox; if you right click on your diagram then choose View Image you can see the entire diagram. Other browsers should have a similar function.

A friend has cautioned me about the potential of hardware clothe to sag so I plan on supporting it more than you did yours. I also plan on not using a solid spline but resting the track directly on the ballast. I tend to change and move things around so I wouldn’t want to commit to the track plan with a spline.

It is true that plywood would probably cost as much as the hardware clothe in the end but it would be a solid bench with the plywood. If I go with the clothe and ballast I can use the switches I built for this project. I think will be biting the bullet and getting the hardware clothe.

The yard is at the end of the line and is off one leg of a WYE. I am track power so having more than one operator doesn’t happen. I was thinking this leg of the wye is shut off unless a train is entering it then it is turned on according to the polarity. While it is off I could have another transformer and loco working the yard. The switcher could pull cars from the 3 tracks on the right and set them on one of the 2 tracks to the left in the photo. The track at the far left top has a 12’ run to a bridge and the WYE.

Thanks for the advice. I might be breaking ground this coming week on this project.

Todd,

While the hardware cloth will sag a bit at first once it reaches its extent it shouldn’t sag at all. This could take a season though of supporting extra weight of rain moisture in soil or rocks. Also snow will be a factor if you have a lot of it. So don’t expect solid support right off with free floating track. You may have to add more rock or ballast beneath the track starting with the second season.

"Richard & all -

In Firefox; if you right click on your diagram then choose View Image you can see the entire diagram. Other browsers should have a similar function."

Hey Jon! This ol’ computer illiterate thanks you much for the tip. That works fine!

:slight_smile:

Todd,

A suggestion regarding hardware cloth. Most commercially available hardware cloth at outlets like Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Tractor Supply or local hardware stores is made from steel wire that is welded and then hot dip galvanized for some corrosion protection. Before installing the wire paint it with a zinc rich primer and then a top coat to extend the corrosion lifetime of the hardware cloth. My guess is steel hot dip galvanized is good for three to five years in a wet environment. The paint will add at least five years to the corrosion life expectancy.

Gordon Perrin

Plymouth, Michigan

Lakeshore Garden Railroad Club Portable Modular Railway Layout Master

Michigan G Gauge Operations Club Secretary

That’s a good tip Gordon.

I have been going back and forth over using the hardware clothe method or just using plywood as a topper. I figure if I use plywood then the benchwork won’t need to be so strong since the solid top ply will add to the strength of the structure. The track can be attached to it plus I could put a lip along the edge and toss in a bit of ballast for looks keeping in mind some drainage points.

When I do finally decide and get going on this project I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks

Todd

I know it has been a time but here is a photo of the nearly completed benchwork. It is 30" wide by 16 feet long. The single approach track can be seen to the right. I had to rework my yard design a bit to fit the benchtop better. I decided to go with the plywood top since it would provide strength the structure and a nice solid base for track work and switches. I figured the free floating track in ballast would be more work to maintain.

The next step is place the track and wire it up so I can have block control. I might use a seperate controller so a train can be running the main and I can be switching in this yard. At the very least I will be able to park a couple of engines in there.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/capecodtodd/_forumfiles/newbench51913.jpg)

Looks good Todd. To protect the plywood from the weather I would cover it with asphalt rooled roofing and then put your track on top of that. Killes two birds with one stone. Protects the plywood and a nice grave look for the yard.

Chuck

Ya what Chuck said!

Todd,

One thing to consider is to cross brace those 4 X 4’s every which way you can. i am currently rebuilding a section that i didnt do that to. it moved quite a bit this last winter.