Large Scale Central

WV&K installs Canadian Ground Throws

The West Virginia & Kentucky Narrow Gauge Division Engineering Department announces that it has installed the first Canadian Design ground throw as part of the upgrades being done to the Buchanan Collery trackage. It is planned to install two more of these units in conjunction with the work being done, with the possibility of retrofitting other turnouts along the line as maintenance dictates…See FR. Fred for further details…

Looking good Bart. That spring wire looks plenty robust - a bit heftier than the music wire Fred uses. What is it?

Hahahah yeah…I didn’t have anything “the right size”…its a piece of wire coathanger…

Well, at least the squirrels won’t chew them up…:wink:

They might try :o

Whatever works Bart! I’ve put off trying this 'cause I didn’t have any music wire and didn’t like the size of the minimum order at an on-line source. I guess you just proved that not having the “proper” supplies shouldn’t stop you.

Jon

I never let it stop me! HAve I mentioned I have take to using hardware store "FOR SALE’ signs and the like for sheet styrene too?

Bart Salmons said:
I never let it stop me! HAve I mentioned I have take to using hardware store "FOR SALE' signs and the like for sheet styrene too?
Now that is an interesting point, considering a conversation I've been having with Andy C.

…and I use old truck mud flaps as part of my level crossings at walkways…

Bart Salmons said:
I never let it stop me! HAve I mentioned I have take to using hardware store "FOR SALE' signs and the like for sheet styrene too?
Dont forget the corrugated plastic signs that pop up all over the place. Elections, 'weight loss' and 'dating' sites, etc.

I like the idea of using a barrel bolt for throwing switches. Inexpensive, easy to install and probably will outlast me before it has to be replaced. However, I just don’t care for how they look. Rather UGLY and not like any prototype switch stand I have ever seen. Has anyone done anything with them to make them more realistic looking? Maybe adding an elevated round target with red and green sides that indicate the direction the switch is facing. Has anyone installed a cover over the barrell bolt to hide it and made an extension for the throw lever that looks more like something used on a real railroad? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I suppose you could put them a foot or so away from the switch itself, and disguise it with a 3-sided building, big enough to stick your hand in and operate the bolt? Maybe disguise it as a large equipment shed?

(http://www.pawstrains.com/images/Blma%20HO-4305.gif)

That is a good idea, Bob, except in yards where you’d have a subdivision of sheds.