Large Scale Central

WTB Nonoperational Switcher

Hey folks, thank you for allowing me to join. As by bio says, I don’t have a large scale layout, but I enjoy designing and building dioramas that involve 1/24-1/25 scale models. I have a new idea for a diorama that was drawn on my childhood memories. There was a short line railroad near where I grew up that finally ceased operations in the early 80’s. Once the operation folded, they left their 65 ton center cab Vulcan switcher “out to pasture,” where weeds and vegetation almost overtook it. Also, one of the warehouses that the shortline served was sold to a private owner and converted into a mechanic’s garage.

I plan on modeling something along these lines, and therefore I am looking for a nonoperational diesel locomotive to use on the set. By nonoperational, I mean it can be a non powered dummy unit, or it can be a junk pile that took a fatal trip from your layout to the ground. As I stated, this loco will be on static display, and I have a hard time trying to convince myself to buy a new loco for $300, $400, or more from somewhere like eBay just to distress and rough it up. In fact, the more damaged it is, the better, in my opinion. Ultimately, I would love to find a centercab switcher, like the Aristocraft 44 tonner or Center Cab Industrial switcher, or an Alco S4 or EMD NW2 end cab switcher. I have also considered something like the Alco RS3, or an EMD GP7/9, but nothing any larger. I am also trying to avoid the little 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 switchers. I grew up in the mountains of Western North Carolina, and these would not have gotten the job completed over those hilly rail lines. I would be willing to pay a fair price and shipping costs if I can find some that trips my fancy.

Again, thank you for allowing me to join, and I hope I can get a few bites here.

Bryan