Large Scale Central

WTB Bachmann spectrum long caboose

Hi guys,

Just throwing this out there to entertain the idea of anyone potentially wanting to part ways with one of these cabooses. No specific livery in mind, just one that’s in good shape.

Take care,

Matt

It’s a really nice piece. I have two, but not willing to sell. Hope you find one - If I see any advertised I’ll circle back here.

Thanks for the reply Jon,

What would one “expect” to see one of these cabooses go for? All in what someone is willing to pay or is there a pretty constant market?

The first one I bought new several years ago. I think from RLD at his ECLSTS booth. I don’t recall the price then, but I’m cheap so I guess probably around $100. The second one came as part of a used lot with a loco and several cars so it’s hard to say what percentage of what I paid was for the caboose. Prices are all over the place lately, but I think you should be able to find one either LN or NIB for around $150.

To give you an idea of crazy pricing; Used Bachmann K-27’s are going for $12-1500. I can’t recall, but I think new MSRP was around $800, and street a little lower. I’m actually glad they are out of my range because I wanted one, but they need re-motoring/gearing in order to run at reasonable speeds which I’m not capable of doing without a kit, and the kits are long gone. If I ever see one come up with one of Rodney’s drives in it THEN I might be willing to pay the going rate.

Bottom line is, price is whatever someone is willing to pay.

Speaking of K-27’s, I model in HOn3 and have two Blackstone K-27’s, I purchased them several years ago at $400.00 each and at today’s price they are selling for $650.00/$700.00 on eBay and they are selling. So from what I see, buy K-27’s when they come out and set back and watch the price go up. I don’t know why Backmann doesn’t re-run the K-27’s, the reason Blackstone doesn’t is because they can’t get a Chinese manufacture to produce then at a cost that they can sell them at to modelers, I wonder if Backmann is in the same boat. With Chinese relations so good today, I wonder if we will ever see these engines and other products produced at what I would call reasonable prices.

trainman

You looking for one of these? I think it is the last one Star Hobby has, new-in-box. They are only $170 if you drop in to pick it up.
https://www.shopstarhobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1071_1230_255_443_463_714&products_id=5351&zenid=0qi9i47tubremeaihg8kitct12

Jon Radder said:

To give you an idea of crazy pricing; Used Bachmann K-27’s are going for $12-1500. I can’t recall, but I think new MSRP was around $800, and street a little lower. I’m actually glad they are out of my range because I wanted one, but they need re-motoring/gearing in order to run at reasonable speeds which I’m not capable of doing without a kit, and the kits are long gone. If I ever see one come up with one of Rodney’s drives in it THEN I might be willing to pay the going rate.

I have a Bachmann K-27 that I will sell to you if you want it.

I honestly forget what was done to it, it was Bob’s (maybe he remembers all the mods that were done) I believe it does have the updated drive gear in it.

It is to big to run on my layout so it is sitting in a display case. It was converted to battery power but when I purchased it Bob took the revo card out and I installed an Airwire card and a new lithium battery. I do have the sound card Bob sold with the locomotive but I did not reinstal.

If you want to come pick it up and try it out have at it, we can work out something later for payment.

let me know.

I have one. Excellent condition

[email protected]

Vincent D’Agostino said:

Jon Radder said:

I have a Bachmann K-27 that I will sell to you if you want it.

I honestly forget what was done to it, it was Bob’s (maybe he remembers all the mods that were done) I believe it does have the updated drive gear in it.

It is to big to run on my layout so it is sitting in a display case. It was converted to battery power but when I purchased it Bob took the revo card out and I installed an Airwire card and a new lithium battery. I do have the sound card Bob sold with the locomotive but I did not reinstal.

If you want to come pick it up and try it out have at it, we can work out something later for payment.

let me know.

Your killing me!!! See my PM. I’m not sure I have the clearances for it :frowning:

I didn’t intend to steal your thread. Looks like there are a couple of sources for your caboose…

Pete Thornton said:

You looking for one of these? I think it is the last one Star Hobby has, new-in-box. They are only $170 if you drop in to pick it up.
https://www.shopstarhobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1071_1230_255_443_463_714&products_id=5351&zenid=0qi9i47tubremeaihg8kitct12

Landrel Brown said:

I have one. Excellent condition

[email protected]

Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen. Star Hobby has that caboose listed for 195 online, plus throwing shipping in the mix. Must be a discount for purchasing in-store.

My apologies, I should have been more precise about the livery piece of my post- that goes for wanting only factory paint, lettered or unlettered. I haven’t had much luck removing decals or repainting trains in the past to make them look new.

And no worries about the thread Jon, I hope that K-27 works out. I had for awhile and ended up trading it for a live steamer. A great engine to have on hand, always pulled and ran well.

-Matt

I have an RGS lettered one just been sitting on the shelf along with original box guessing $125 plus shipping if interested.

I also have a K-27 run like once now sitting and the yellow version C-19 never run just on a shelf if anyone interested. Both have original boxes. K box has some very minor damage.

lorna dane said:

I have an RGS lettered one just been sitting on the shelf along with original box guessing $125 plus shipping if interested.

I assume that’s a long caboose, not a K-27? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Message sent. Thank you guys!

Pete Thornton said:

lorna dane said:

I assume that’s a long caboose, not a K-27? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Yes caboose.

The K and C-19 are D&RGW labeled, 453 and 345 respectively.

Matt - Did you find your caboose? There is a LN Rio Grand Southern one posted on FB in the G Scale Swap and Shop group. A little pricey at $275. Seller says that’s what he paid for it. I think he was robbed (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif).

On the same subject - if anyone has an extra set of ladder extensions, one of mine is missing them. I don’t think they are available from Bachmann.

Jon

You could ask Vincent to throw in one with the k-27 … (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Hey guys, I did find one. Thank you!

Hey everyone,

Just a quick bump to the top for a shout out for Lorna Dane being a great seller. The caboose is exactly as described in great condition and time was taken to package and ship with care.

Matt