Large Scale Central

WSRR 2022 Mik's Build Challenge Backwoods Station

Well, Devon, here ya go. Probably don’t have near enough just yet but its a start.

Also got all the decking down. No fasteners, just glue. Light pole has been erected.

I’m toying with the idea of having a short brick wainscot around the bottom of the station and wood above. What ya think?

1 Like

I like the brick! I say, “Go for it!” I personally think mixing materials adds a bit of visual interest.

those look like great shingles. And I also vote brick. I much prefer architecture that uses multiple materials both in modeling and real life. To me it just looks more interesting.

We are not going to vote for you to go simple, you should know that by now, Dan! Brick all the way, and we want individual bricks glued twitch mortar lines !:joy:

Railroads are cheap by nature so unless this is the downtown head quarters stick with the wainscot. Exception to above would be southwest adobe areas where trees are scarce and stone, brick, or mud are plentiful. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :innocent:
JMHO YMMV

David does make a good point. With few exceptions most small depots were plain Jane. So it really does depend on what your going for. If your trying to be prototypical then plain is best.

Adding the brick is a neat idea but like others have written a real RR wouldn’t have spent the extra money on a small remote building but then again maybe your RR received a Government grant and it had to spend the money somewhere? :wink:

1 Like

In keeping with typical cheap railroad decisions, this station will have a brick wainscot made from recycled old brick that were donated to the RR. The brick has been in the way for like forever and Mr. Paws, the RR owner said either use them or get rid of them and being there weren’t enough to brick a real building, RR Chief engineer, R.E. Mington said the crew could use them on this station.

In reality, I just wanted to try my hand at painting and weathering brick so the station gets brick.

there you go cheap and still have brick. great solution

Well if that is the reasoning of reality then we wanna see your,you’re hand at painting and weathering the old recycled brick!

It’s coming, Roo. Put the initial coat of paint on last night.

1 Like

Learn to dry brush with a fan brush. That’s all I can offer. Layering paint is an art

The brick looks better in person than the picture below. I still have to let the paint dry, then seal it and then grout the mortar lines. After grouting, I will add some weathering powder and pigments to add some texture and to dirty the brick a little.

My plan for the mortar is to use portland cement, hydrated lime and a little fire clay, mix it a little wet, work it down into the joints and then wipe off the surface. Similar to grouting ceramic tile. I suspect that the act of grouting will give the brick a much more dull look than they currently look. We’ll see how that works.

That’s ambitious cant wait to see the results. I love the different colors of bricks. Really nails your intent of old recycled bricks from some random pile.

I feel like I got a lot done today, but I don’t have much to show for it. Brick has been grouted and weathered, siding has been cut and received its first coat of paint (maybe only coat, I kind of like the look).

So as I mentioned last night, I grouted the brick with a mixture of portland cement, hydrated lime and fire clay. Why did I use this mixture? Well, I have about 5 - 5 gallon buckets of the stuff. I simply mixed it a little wet and used my finger to smear it on and down into the mortar joints. This is what it looks like.

I then took a dry paper towel and wiped of most of the excess.

Depending on the look you’re after, you could stop here and let the mortar set. But I took a damp, barely damp, paper towel and wiped the brick one more time, lightly.

I know it looks shiney in the photo, but it doesn’t look that way to the naked eye. Next I took weathering powders and dirtied the brick up some to make it look a little older and then sealed all of it.

The siding you see in the last photo is cut from sintra board. To get the grooves, I simply used an exacto knife and straight edge. The siding is not attached yet, it is simply laying on top so I could see how it goes with the brick.

Don’t forget the water table above the brick.
:wink:

Very good looking brickwork Dan.

That came out awesome.

Progress for today. Got the brick, siding and trusses permanently attached to the station. Started working on the passenger stand trusses.

You can also see the bench in the above photo. I have not cut the wood for it yet, what you see is some I had laying around and I wanted to at least see how it was going to look. The final version won’t be as long and there will be 3 planks for the seat and 3 for the back.

Better view of the station

I’ve got the roof decking cut and the roofing material ready to go. I still need to mill all the trim boards and get them painted and attached and I need to get the lights installed. I am taking a page out of Devon’s playbook and trying my hand at fiber optic lights. We will see how that turns out. There will be a light on the light pole, obviously, lights under the passenger stand, a light over the door to the station and a light on the front of the station. Lot’s to do and time running short.

1 Like

Looking good Dan. That’s a seriously steep pitched roof. I wouldn’t want to be the guy roofing that.